Bachmann admits John Wayne flub but insists John Quincy Adams was a Founding Father

Well, let's have some context, shall we. The economy tanked under Bush. Bush had been piling up the debt for eight years with wars that were not paid for (those off-budget supplemental bills), the prescription drug bill (that was ALSO not paid for, as in PAYGO), and Bush's massive tax cuts in a time of war (that had NEVER been done before).

So, the economy was contracting which meant there was very little spending or investment going on. That brought us to the stimulus which was put in place to prime the pump of the economy AND to prevent local and state gov'ts from laying off workers. Say what you want about the stimulus, but it probably kept the economy from getting worse and the unemployment rate from being a couple of points higher than it now is.

Anything else?

The economy tanked under Dem control. Dems took control over both Senate and House in 2007 and thus took majority control over the government, Bush was a lame duck after that point. The biggest spending bills of the Bush era came from his last two years....when Democrats were writing the budget. So your arguement that somehow Republicans were spending too much, and Dems wouldn't had, is a complete lie. And what has happened since Obama took office? Oh yea they spent even more.

They also did not raise the tax rates, completely debunking your theory that Republican tax "cuts" (which really only happened once) was a bad move. If it was so bad, why didn't Dems raise them back up? They had complete control of the government, and pushed through such unpopular legislation such as Obamacare yet chose not to raise taxes. So if you have a problem with those tax rates, take it up with your own party.

I will say what I want about the stimulous, thanks for the permission. It was a complete waste of money and almost none of money was spent on "shovel ready projects" as the Hussein promised. Instead it was used to funnel cash back into unions who in turn give the money to the Democrat Party. What a great little money laundry scheme. So if you want to tell yourself that it "probably" made things better than they could had been, well thats your choice and most of the Obama sheep in fact do that.

Maybe thats how you guys can win the next election. Keep telling people "Just imagine it could had been worse!"

If the Dems had actually lowered the debt, you would have a great arguement against the Republicans. Unfortunately for you, the Dems have only increased the debt to record levels.

You need to pull your partisan head out of your ass. Seriously.

Unless you can show me where the Democratic-controlled Congress passed numerous (okay, I'll settle for you just finding ONE) bill(s), which President Bush THEN vetoed, and Congress subsequently overturned that/those vetoes, you've got absolutely NO evidence that the Democratic Senate and House victories (a rejection of Republican rule, BTW) played ANY role in the economic recession which actually started in 2007.

How long should we wait for you to find that evidence?

And yet another "I Hate Bachmann" Thread. Come on USMB,please spare us this boring repetitive Nightmare. I'm actually begging now. Just throw a Sticky Post up there stating that all Lefties/Democrats here at USMB really really really really really really Hate that Bachmann Woman. That should spare us a Million more stupid "I hate Bachamann" Threads. So whata ya say USMB?

This is for Warrior102, who asked for specific evidence that Bachmann was a fraud. Now that I have 15 posts, I can provide him with plenty. We'll start with Taibbi.

Matt Taibbi: Bachmann's Holy War

Bachmann's story, to hear her tell it, is about a suburban homemaker who is chosen by God to become a politician who will restore faith and family values to public life and do battle with secular humanism. But by the time you've finished reviewing her record of lies and embellishments and contradictions, you'll have no idea if she actually believes in her own divine inspiration, or whether it's a big con job. Or maybe both are true — in which case this hard-charging challenger for the GOP nomination is a rare breed of political psychopath, equal parts crazed Divine Wind kamikaze-for-Jesus and calculating, six-faced Machiavellian prevaricator. Whatever she is, she's no joke.

. . .

Bachmann was mentored by a crackpot Christian extremist professor named John Eidsmoe, a frequent contributor to John Birch Society publications who once opined that he could imagine Jesus carrying an M16 and who spent considerable space in one of his books musing about the feasibility of criminalizing blasphemy.

This background is significant considering Bachmann's leadership role in the Tea Party, a movement ostensibly founded on ideas of limited government. Bachmann says she believes in a limited state, but she was educated in an extremist Christian tradition that rejects the entire notion of a separate, secular legal authority and views earthly law as an instrument for interpreting biblical values. As a legislator, she not only worked to impose a ban on gay marriage, she also endorsed a report that proposed banning anyone who "espoused or supported Shariah law" from immigrating to the U.S. (Bachmann seems so unduly obsessed with Shariah law that, after listening to her frequent pronouncements on the subject, one begins to wonder if her crazed antipathy isn't born of professional jealousy.)

This discrepancy may account for why some Tea Party leaders don't buy Bachmann as a champion of small government. "Michele Bachmann is — what's the old-school term? — a poser," says Chris Littleton, an Ohio Tea Party leader troubled by her support of the Patriot Act and other big-government interventions. "Look at her record and see how 'Tea Party' she really is."

. . .

Michele took a job as a tax attorney collecting for the IRS and spent the next four years sucking on the tit of the Internal Revenue Service, which makes her Tea Party-leader hypocrisy quotient about average. (At least she didn't collect more than $250,000 in federal farm subsidies between 1995 and 2006 — that was her father-in-law.) It was after Bachmann quit the IRS in 1993 that her political career really began; although she had volunteered for Jimmy Carter in her youth and had been an anti-abortion protester, she didn't become a major player in Stillwater until she joined a group of fellow Christian activists to form New Heights, one of the first charter schools in America.

She's a fraud.

Bachmann is an idiot, anyone that ignorant about this country's history should be deported. She is an embarrassment to anyone planning on voting for this baboon. For those of you criticizing the left, get a life and stop following tea party scum.

I've read elsewhere that it's a mistake to not take Rep. Bachmann seriously; that laughing at her just makes her stronger. I try to take this advice to heart, but then I look at all the shit that she's said in the last 3 to 4 years - much of it she's now walking back, btw - and just can't see this woman as anything more than a joke.

The GOP is just trying to live down to basest supporters' expectations.

And true to form those ambitious little overachievers more than do it, too.

Look, after electing Bush II, we all ought to know that there is no bottom to the sounding for ignorance from GOP candidates.

The GOP is pandering to the know-nothing crowd, after all.

They know their base and they aim to please it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back