Bachman Wins

She hypnotized them with her crazy pinwheel eyes....

Bachmann3.jpg

Shit thats scary.

Happy she won though.

I expected Bachman and Paul to come in first and second. Bachman probably gained a lot of votes because Iowa is her home state. So the fact that Paul came so close to winning is telling. Not to discredit Bachman of course, but an interesting point to make I think.

Also interesting is that both Paul and Bachman are members of the house, not governors. The last time a sitting member of the house won the presidency was in 1880 with James Garfield. I think it is time we elect another congressman as president.

Pawlenty in third? That is a surprise to me, but it was a distant third. Newt is finished...he lost to write ins. That proves his campaign is over.

:confused: me thought she was Minnisotan..

She was born in Iowa.

and she learned her facial expressions from the killer clown.

For whom?

Everyone in this country who does more with their money then bury it in mason jars in their backyard.

Bullshit.

The only ones affected would have been the welfare state politicians and their parasites.

Please.

Did you see what the fucking market did after a minor downgrade by one index? Who do you think that affects? Every single person with an IRA, a 401(k), and a home mortgage.

You guys reside in some sort of fantasy world that doesn't approximate reality.

Close down the fed and put us back on the gold standard? Yeah, that seems totally logical..............

And you want us to take you seriously when you don't understand the economy and can only toss out hyperbole.

Welfare state..

Pull your head out of your ass.

Looks like it's going to be Romney, Paul, Bachman, and Perry down the stretch.

Paul and Bachman campaigns will go nowhere.

Paul can keep pace with any other GOP candidate in funding. He did it in 2008 and had less support than he does now.

As long as he's funded he will take it to the end. Whatever you think his result will be is irrelevant.

Everyone realizes that to vote in the straw poll, you have to pay $30 and that campaigns essentially bus in voters that they've paid for, right?

I mean, McCain came in 10th in the last one. Winning the straw poll isn't necessarily an indication of a ground swell.

I do think Bachmann came out the big winner. She's going to get momentum out of this that is going to allow her to get the social conservative wing of the GOP in her corner to go against Romney. Then again, there is no telling how Perry is going to shake things up (Perry might have screwed up announcing today. He probably should have announced on Friday or waited a week). So this was money well spent by the Bachmann campaign.

It's going to be funny to watch Paul get thrown under the bus again. It's going to be even funnier to watch how butthurt his supporters get.

When are you guys going to stop trying to win over the GOP and just call yourselves Libertarians?

The GOP used to stand for much of what today's libertarian does. Libertarians would like to bring the party back to its senses. What a democrat or even a left leaning moderate thinks about that is pretty irrelevant to us.

Everyone realizes that to vote in the straw poll, you have to pay $30 and that campaigns essentially bus in voters that they've paid for, right?

I mean, McCain came in 10th in the last one. Winning the straw poll isn't necessarily an indication of a ground swell.

I do think Bachmann came out the big winner. She's going to get momentum out of this that is going to allow her to get the social conservative wing of the GOP in her corner to go against Romney. Then again, there is no telling how Perry is going to shake things up (Perry might have screwed up announcing today. He probably should have announced on Friday or waited a week). So this was money well spent by the Bachmann campaign.

It's going to be funny to watch Paul get thrown under the bus again. It's going to be even funnier to watch how butthurt his supporters get.

When are you guys going to stop trying to win over the GOP and just call yourselves Libertarians?

The GOP used to stand for much of what today's libertarian does. Libertarians would like to bring the party back to its senses. What a democrat or even a left leaning moderate thinks about that is pretty irrelevant to us.

Good luck with that. I see the GOP continuing to shaft off of Paul's efforts and (part of) his intellectual capital while sticking in someone else (again). I mean, the GOP is not the LP. Why the LP would think it has any chance of converting it is beyond me.

Refer too:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/180492-paul-supporters-what-are-you-going-to-do.html

Good luck with that. I see the GOP continuing to shaft off of Paul's efforts and (part of) his intellectual capital while sticking in someone else (again). I mean, the GOP is not the LP. Why the LP would think it has any chance of converting it is beyond me.

Refer too:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/180492-paul-supporters-what-are-you-going-to-do.html
That is completely untrue. Ron Paul supporters were the first to call themselves Tea Partiers. He just placed second in a major GOP poll, in a statistical tie with Bachman, and has continually growing support. Congressional Republicans are all on board with his efforts to audit the Fed. People are talking about the issues of small government and liberty that he has been promoting for decades. The debate has moved his way. Claiming it is not is simply not true.

You bet the GOP establishment is trying to cling to its neoconservative big government ways. But I feel there has been a fundamental change in the party base, and tools like McCain and Bush will not have an easy time getting elected.

Refer too:

Why do you keep talking about the LP? The LP is the LP and the GOP is the GOP. I don't speak for the LP, have never given any money to the LP, have never been to a convention of the LP, I have NOTHING to do with the LP. I'm registered Republican and have been since 2006, and Ron Paul is the reason why.

The GOP should fucking THANK Ron Paul for bringing more registered voters into the party.

Refer too:

That is completely untrue. Ron Paul supporters were the first to call themselves Tea Partiers. He just placed second in a major GOP poll, in a statistical tie with Bachman, and has continually growing support. Congressional Republicans are all on board with his efforts to audit the Fed. People are talking about the issues of small government and liberty that he has been promoting for decades. The debate has moved his way. Claiming it is not is simply not true.

You bet the GOP establishment is trying to cling to its neoconservative big government ways. But I feel there has been a fundamental change in the party base, and tools like McCain and Bush will not have an easy time getting elected.

I don't see the rank and file GOP voters suddenly joining the "revolution". I do see them hacking a lot of Paul's message (i.e. the Tea Party) and then attaching their own spin to it.

Notice how the Tea Party is now a social and fiscally conservative movement? When the hell did that happen?

Refer too:

Why do you keep talking about the LP? The LP is the LP and the GOP is the GOP. I don't speak for the LP, have never given any money to the LP, have never been to a convention of the LP, I have NOTHING to do with the LP. I'm registered Republican and have been since 2006, and Ron Paul is the reason why.

The GOP should fucking THANK Ron Paul for bringing more registered voters into the party.

Because Paul started out as a libertarian, was a libertarian Presidential nominee in '88, and a lot of his support comes from people who have libertarian leanings.

Notice how the Tea Party is now a social and fiscally conservative movement? When the hell did that happen?

I've noticed that too. It certainly wasn't to begin with. But it seems that the social conservatives have latched on and co-opted it to some extent. Birfers were also screaming they were Tea Party members too.

I've noticed that too. It certainly wasn't to begin with. But it seems that the social conservatives have latched on and co-opted it to some extent. Birfers were also screaming they were Tea Party members too.

IMO, the GOP co-opted it because they needed a new brand (for the time being) after Bush. Ironically, it looks like they created a monster and now the GOP establishment is going to have to figure out how to reign in the Tea Party.

Refer too:

I don't see the rank and file GOP voters suddenly joining the "revolution". I do see them hacking a lot of Paul's message (i.e. the Tea Party) and then attaching their own spin to it.

I never said rank and file GOP voters suddenly joined Paul. But more people are joining, whether you want to see it or not. The is the libertarian-ish wing of the tea party and the social conservative part. Paul heads the former and Bachman/Palin the latter. The tea party is clearly not the same as the mainstream Republican voter, and it is becoming a major player in the party.

Did I say everyone is now a Paul fan? No. Did I say everyone now espouses his views 100%? No. What I did say was that people are moving in that direction. And that is clearly happening.

How Michele Bachmann Bought the Ames Straw Poll | Unelected.org

Or, more hilariously lampooned by Colbert:

Stephen Colbert Figures Out How Bachmann Won the Iowa Straw Poll

"Bachmann paid $180,000 dollars to hand out 6000 tickets, but it was worth it because she got 4823 votes. Bachmann got a commanding 80% of the votes she paid for!"

Oh, and she had Randy Travis!

This is why Ames is a joke. The only thing we can deduce is that Bachmann has sufficient financial resources to buy the election which means she has donors.

Forum List

Back