Baby steps

Baby Steps​

Once upon a time, seat belts were an option in automobiles. Then, one day the government made them mandatory. Today, most states can fine you if you aren’t wearing a seatbelt.

Once upon a time, the government passed a law that required airlines to provide ‘no smoking” sections on their airplanes. Today, there are entire cities where smoking is outlawed everywhere but in your own house.

Once upon a time, Thomas Edison invented an incandescent light bulb. Tomorrow (2014) will see the government ban on incandescent light bulbs become almost complete.

In each case above, had somebody told you (at the time) that the first sentence would ultimately result in the last sentence, you probably would have told them that they were looney tunes crazy. That’s how government encroachment works, in baby steps that slowly eat away at our liberties and rights.

On March 23rd 2010 a law was passed that required all US citizens to purchase/have health insurance. I’m looney tunes crazy, so I wonder how long it will be before the government can force you to have medical treatment that you choose not to engage in. After all, it’s for your own good.

I'm happy action was taken on the examples you gave since they were either a safety hazard, health hazard, or woefully inefficient.

Baby Steps​

Once upon a time, seat belts were an option in automobiles. Then, one day the government made them mandatory. Today, most states can fine you if you aren’t wearing a seatbelt.

Once upon a time, the government passed a law that required airlines to provide ‘no smoking” sections on their airplanes. Today, there are entire cities where smoking is outlawed everywhere but in your own house.

Once upon a time, Thomas Edison invented an incandescent light bulb. Tomorrow (2014) will see the government ban on incandescent light bulbs become almost complete.

In each case above, had somebody told you (at the time) that the first sentence would ultimately result in the last sentence, you probably would have told them that they were looney tunes crazy. That’s how government encroachment works, in baby steps that slowly eat away at our liberties and rights.

On March 23rd 2010 a law was passed that required all US citizens to purchase/have health insurance. I’m looney tunes crazy, so I wonder how long it will be before the government can force you to have medical treatment that you choose not to engage in. After all, it’s for your own good.

I'm happy action was taken on the examples you gave since they were either a safety hazard, health hazard, or woefully inefficient.

Automobile accidents that occur when a vehicle is moving at 50 mph are much more likely to be deadly than one that occurs when the vehicle is only moving at 5mph. Would you advocate that the federal speed limit laws be reduced to 5mph in order to make safety (and life protection) better?

When your activities harm Americans they are allowed to make laws to protect themselves

Me choosing to not have a medical procedure harms no one else.

Not if someone else has to pay the cost of your decision.

You seem to be confused.
Me choosing to not have a medical procedure is zero cost.
Me paying for the cost of somebody else to have a medical procedure is them forcing their rights beyond the tip of my nose.

I prefer to not expand their power in such matters.

Try being a Jehovah's Witness and refusing a blood transfusion for your child.

Again,

Having medical insurance does not imply that you are required to get a medical procedure. I have insurance AND I have a catastrophic illness. I can choose to refuse treatment at any juncture. However, if everyone is required to provide their OWN insurance, then you would not be required to pay for THEIR medical procedures as you are now.

Me choosing to not have a medical procedure harms no one else.

You seem to be confused.
Me paying for the cost of somebody else to have a medical procedure is them forcing their rights beyond the tip of my nose.

When you refuse to have a procedure and then the government has to pay the cost of your medical treatment because you did not have the procedure then we have a stake in it.

Pretend any lie you wish , it doesnt make it true

Try being a Jehovah's Witness and refusing a blood transfusion for your child.

Again,

Having medical insurance does not imply that you are required to get a medical procedure. I have insurance AND I have a catastrophic illness. I can choose to refuse treatment at any juncture. However, if everyone is required to provide their OWN insurance, then you would not be required to pay for THEIR medical procedures as you are now.

Go back and read the OP, read what has transpired in the past.
Just sayin'

You seem to be confused.

When you refuse to have a procedure and then the government has to pay the cost of your medical treatment because you did not have the procedure then we have a stake in it

What part of not having the procedure did you fail to understand.

You seem to be confused.

When you refuse to have a procedure and then the government has to pay the cost of your medical treatment because you did not have the procedure then we have a stake in it

What part of not having the procedure did you fail to understand.

Dude thats easy.

Hes a leftie

NOT HAVING

Again,

Just sayin'

I read the OP. It says nothing about anyone being required to have any medical procedures. It just says everyone will be required to have medical insurance. That will make everyone responsible for their OWN illnesses. So that diabetic who has eaten himself into oblivion will have to pay for his own sin eating. And not your or me. I think that's kind of nice really. Especially since I work in health care and I know that the government subsidizes the health care of people like that in more unseen ways than you can even begin to imagine. Personal responsibility. And all that.

Last edited:

Just sayin'

I read the OP. It says nothing about anyone being required to have any medical procedures. It just says everyone will be required to have medical insurance. That will make everyone responsible for their OWN illnesses. So that diabetic who has eaten himself into oblivion will have to pay for his own sin eating. And not your or me. I think that's kind of nice really. Especially since I work in health care and I know that the government subsidizes the health care of people like that in more unseen ways than you can even begin to imagine. Personal responsibility. And all that.

Baby steps.
Read all of the OP.
The pattern is there.

Just sayin'

Baby steps.
Read all of the OP.
The pattern is there.

Pattern my ass! Pretty much every state in the union has a Patient Self Determination Act....which means no one has to have a medical procedure they don't want.

Patient Self-Determination Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The requirements of the PSDA are as follows:

Patients are given written notice upon admission to the health care facility of their decision-making rights, and policies regarding advance health care directives in their state and in the institution to which they have been admitted. Patient rights include:

1.The right to facilitate their own health care decisions
2.The right to accept or refuse medical treatment
3.The right to make an advance health care directive

Facilities must inquire as to the whether the patient already has an advance health care directive, and make note of this in their medical records.
Facilities must provide education to their staff and affiliates about advance health care directives.
Health care providers are not allowed to discriminately admit or treat patients based on whether or not they have an advance health care directive.

Next you will be on some 'death panel' kick! :rolleyes: You cannot see how completely ludicrous you are being.

Last edited:
Your rights end at the tip of my nose.

You faile to realise its NOT just about YOUR rights
Thus, you believe that his rights to what he can medically to his body are your rights as well.

So, for consistency, you must be against the right of a woman to choose what she does medically with her body.

Consistency is important, n'est pas?

Baby steps.
Read all of the OP.
The pattern is there.

Pattern my ass! Pretty much every state in the union has a Patient Self Determination Act....which means no one has to have a medical procedure they don't want.

Patients are given written notice upon admission to the health care facility of their decision-making rights, and policies regarding advance health care directives in their state and in the institution to which they have been admitted. Patient rights include:

Facilities must inquire as to the whether the patient already has an advance health care directive, and make note of this in their medical records.
Facilities must provide education to their staff and affiliates about advance health care directives.
Health care providers are not allowed to discriminately admit or treat patients based on whether or not they have an advance health care directive.

Next you will be on some 'death panel' kick! :rolleyes: You cannot see how completely ludicrous you are being.

Yes, I can see how ludicrous I am being.
Just like the people that said smoking sections on airplanes wouldn't lead to entire cities that banned smoking.
Just like the people that didn't see optional seat-belts becoming a fine for not wearing one.
Just like the Edison invented light bulbs were never imagined to be banned by federal government.

Baby steps.
Read all of the OP.
The pattern is there.

Yes, I can see how ludicrous I am being.
Just like the people that said smoking sections on airplanes wouldn't lead to entire cities that banned smoking.
Just like the people that didn't see optional seat-belts becoming a fine for not wearing one.
Just like the Edison invented light bulbs were never imagined to be banned by federal government.

SO, when someone smokes to the point of having lung cancer and can no longer work, you are pleased to provide them with health care via Medicaid/SS disability/Medicare. Or government subsidies to the care facilities as e have now. Groovy.

So when someone requires 40 years of nursing home care secondary to an MVA in which they were not wearing a belt you are pleased to provide them with 40 years of long term health care via Medicaid/SS disability/Medicare. Or government subsidies to the care facilities as we have now. Groovy.

Just like the Edison invented light bulbs were never imagined to be banned by federal government
WTF does THAT have to do with health care? Clue: NOTHING!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back