Baby names

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
What's up with the baby names everybody is hanging on the kids today? Most of the ones I've heard lately are just plain goofy and downright awful. A poor kid ends up with a really stupid name and it has an even goofier spelling. What's wrong with names like Jack, John, Frank, Steve, Allen, Bob, Don, Greg or girl names like Ellen, Mary, Susan, Helen, Rose, Jackie, or Ruth? Some of the names I've heard lately are really dumb. I'd sure hate to end up with one of them. Am I alone in this? Anybody else think kids are getting a bad rap now a days?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo8CrY_ZfFk]YouTube - George Carlin - Goofy Boy Names (HQ)[/ame]

What's up with the baby names everybody is hanging on the kids today? Most of the ones I've heard lately are just plain goofy and downright awful. A poor kid ends up with a really stupid name and it has an even goofier spelling. What's wrong with names like Jack, John, Frank, Steve, Allen, Bob, Don, Greg or girl names like Ellen, Mary, Susan, Helen, Rose, Jackie, or Ruth? Some of the names I've heard lately are really dumb. I'd sure hate to end up with one of them. Am I alone in this? Anybody else think kids are getting a bad rap now a days?

My mother is a teacher. Some of the names of the kids she had in her classes over the years:

Lasagna
Auquafina
Acetaminophen
Sha-thade (spelled "Shithead")
Celt
Balder

My mother is a teacher. Some of the names of the kids she had in her classes over the years:

Lasagna
Auquafina
Acetaminophen
Sha-thade (spelled "Shithead")
Celt
Balder

I might know Sha-thade. I know some shitheads.

This is kind of a pet topic of mine. When my older sisters started having babies, "J" names were cool. There were suddenly lots of Jasons and Jonathans and Jeremys, due I think to the TV show "Here Come The Brides" which was popular just prior to that era.

Then Old Testament names became common, with Zack being a big favorite.

Then in the 90s the old southern custom of pinning family names on girls, to keep the name in the tree, was extended to boys, only without the name actually being in the family, so you'll meet guys named Sterling and Duncan.

And how many girls were named Madison, after the movie "Splash" came out, with the alternative spelling of Mattison?

For some reason, my son had two friends at the same time named Dakota - both boys. Still not sure where that came from.

Last edited:
I heard a name that simply floored me with laughter.

"Palmolive" That is her name "Palmolive"! :lol:

Unique Baby Names www.babynamesgarden.com/uniquebabynames.aspx

Boy's Names Girl's Names
Alban Briony

Barker Cacey

Chay Dalena

Digby Easter

Edan Flick

Fergal Gaia

Galahad Happy

Ham Iola

Innocent Jaine

Jago Kohinoor

Kyran Lettice

Laban Majella

Mabon Nekane

Napier Odelia

Ormond Opal

Parsifal Posy

Redmond Ralphina

Somerled Saffron

Trayton Tarina

Urban Unity

Vanslow Valentia

Warwick Wilda

Ximun Xanthe

Yorick Yaffa

Zeno Zinnia

Last edited:
i have a very common name....but now everyone spells it differently....sometimes it is spelled so oddly i am not even sure its my name.....they sub the i...for a y..then the c for an s..the e...for an i....

alysi

hello mother fuckers its alice

My sister inlaw told me about a girl named Vajina - pro -Vah-Jeena.

Thought that was dumb.

And I met a dude that named his son Dakota also, I just looked at him and said, "You really like that name huh?" I didn't know him well enough to give two fucks and critisize him.

In "Freakonomics" the author mentioned a girl named "Asshole" pronounced "azholay".

The Social Security Administration released its annual rundown of the most popular names for newborns on Friday, and flying up the list was an ancient name with modern fame: Cullen, the surname of one handsome bloodsucker, Edward, in the frighteningly popular vampire films “Twilight,” based on the best-selling novels by Stephenie Meyer.

Cullen materialized at 485, leaping almost 300 spots from 2008 for the biggest increase of any boy’s name; it wedged firmly between Braiden and Kason.

But the nation’s fascination with the undead may not end there. The most popular boy’s name was Jacob, an eternal favorite that happens to be the name of the buff rival of paler-than-thou Edward: Jacob Black. The most popular name for girls was Isabella, the progenitor of Bella, the love interest of both Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf. Just plain Bella logs in at 58.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/08/us/08names.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

In "Freakonomics" the author mentioned a girl named "Asshole" pronounced "azholay".

The Social Security Administration released its annual rundown of the most popular names for newborns on Friday, and flying up the list was an ancient name with modern fame: Cullen, the surname of one handsome bloodsucker, Edward, in the frighteningly popular vampire films “Twilight,” based on the best-selling novels by Stephenie Meyer.

Cullen materialized at 485, leaping almost 300 spots from 2008 for the biggest increase of any boy’s name; it wedged firmly between Braiden and Kason.

But the nation’s fascination with the undead may not end there. The most popular boy’s name was Jacob, an eternal favorite that happens to be the name of the buff rival of paler-than-thou Edward: Jacob Black. The most popular name for girls was Isabella, the progenitor of Bella, the love interest of both Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf. Just plain Bella logs in at 58.

A Name for Newborns Thanks to the Vampires - NYTimes.com

Goddamn those sparkly fucking vampires.

"Le - a"

How would you pronounce this as a child's name???

Leah?? NO

Lee - A?? NOPE

Lay - a?? NO

Lei?? Guess Again.

Are you resorting to tongue clicks yet??

It's pronounced "Ledasha" oh yes...you read it right. The dash is not silent.

This child attends a school in Livingston Parish. (Louisiana)

Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong. SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce the dash. When the mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said "the dash don't be silent."

Got this in an email awhile ago. Don't know if it's true . . . but it probably is.

USMB Confession - I take care of the Student of the Month at my school. Each month I ask for two names from each department and I select one. I ask for an alternate in case that student has previously been selected. However this year I choose based on name. I have to retype too many certificates because the name submitted does not match the correct spelling on the official roster. In a few cases, the school records don't even match. Sorry kids - if you use punctuation instead of letters, you will not be selected.

i have a very common name....but now everyone spells it differently....sometimes it is spelled so oddly i am not even sure its my name.....they sub the i...for a y..then the c for an s..the e...for an i....

alysi

hello mother fuckers its alice

I have a cousin called Ailíse, (pronouced Ayleesha), its gaelic for Alice.

Forum List

Back