Baby left in MiniVan; Mom 'forgot' to drop the baby at DayCare

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
This blows. :(

A 5-month-old baby died in a minivan Wednesday after the mother apparently forgot to drop the child off at day care.

The tragedy was discovered about 5:30 p.m. outside the Wonder Years 2 day care. The baby's mother stopped at the day care after work to pick up the child and was told by staff that the baby had not been dropped off. She realized then that the baby had been in her minivan all day.

"The mother had forgotten to drop off the child at day care in the morning," said Curt Kreun, owner of Wonder Years 2. "She actually came in the building to pick up the child and then realized what had happened."

The child was in a car seat in the back of the vehicle, according to Sgt. Jeff Burgess of the Grand Forks Police Department. A Wonder Years 2 staff member made the 911 call, according to Kreun.

Staff members had taken the baby out of the van and started CPR before the ambulance arrived. Kreun said he reached the scene about 6 p.m. and emergency personnel already had gotten the word from Altru to cease resuscitation.

"The child had probably passed away a while before she got to the day care," Kreun said.

Kreun, who has been in the child care business for years, said near-tragedies happen all too often.

"I know people who have gotten to work and realized they forgot to drop off their kids and had to go back."

Kreun said it would have been impossible for passersby to see the baby in the van, which had tinted windows.

"I walked around that van about 14 times after they left, and you would not have been able to see in there," he said.

The incident is under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Bureau, but police told Kreun they didn't expect charges to be filed.

"They're looking at it as a tragic accident," he said. "This is by far the most devastating thing I've had to witness."

"There are no arrests being made tonight," said Burgess. "I can tell you that."

The cause of death had not yet been confirmed Wednesday night, but a likely cause of death in cases where children are left in hot vehicles is hyperthermia.

The temperature in a parked car rises very rapidly, even when the windows are left open a crack. Studies show that the temperature can rise as much as 50 degrees in an hour.

Wednesday's high was 79 degrees, so the temperature in the van easily could have exceeded 100 degrees.

Tragic.

Mr. P said:
Ya gotta be brain dead, or talking on a cell phone to FORGET yer baby!!!

I really hope she is charged.
Why send her to jail she will live with this the rest of her life anyway.. I am sure she knows she is completely to blame with no excuse. Sending her to jail won't do any thing to bring the baby back or make her feel any worse. all it will accomplish is you and I paying for her to sit and think for the rest of her life....

A better punishment would be for her to never be able to sell her minivan and have to look at it everyday of her life as a reminder.....

nukeman said:
Why send her to jail she will live with this the rest of her life anyway.. I am sure she knows she is completely to blame with no excuse. Sending her to jail won't do any thing to bring the baby back or make her feel any worse. all it will accomplish is you and I paying for her to sit and think for the rest of her life....

A better punishment would be for her to never be able to sell her minivan and have to look at it everyday of her life as a reminder.....
Better than that. Handcuff her in the van, windows up, and leave her there.

Mr. P said:
If it did I'll neg rep D for posting it.:wtf:

But we know it has happened here in Atlanta. Remember the day care that left a kid in the van all day?

I don't, actually. I must have missed that one.

Forum List

Back