Baby Dies After Thrown From Fourth Floor Hospital Parking Garage

You mean HER best interest,I think. THELIQ:cool:
I assume there are people who would have been fine with this if she had aborted at 8 months based on knowledge of the child's defects.

Somehow this is different.

You foster an environment where imperfect children are disposable, and mothers have the right to kill them in utero...then boo hoo when mothers carry that attitude after the baby is born.

I think it's pretty obvious the woman is ignorant of the child's condition, probably not well versed in English, suffering from depression, and undoubtedly felt she was acting in the best interests of the baby.

All perfectly acceptable reasons to kill babies in this country at this time. Post birth abortion. Get over it.

State law says in an Emergency the Hospital has to render treatment....St. Josephs ER is filled with the no Ins. crowd as well as UCI's is.....

Please tell that to Michele Obama. She made her name during Obama's first presidential campaign by taking a hefty salary from a hospital in order to streamline ER operations. She streamlined them by sending patients to other hospitals, then took a lengthy leave of absence before finally resigning. At least, I think she resigned. Heck, maybe she's still getting paid.

What a peach! Always thinking of the little guy, and tightening that belt!

That doesn't even begin to approximate what happened. What the group Obama was tied to was attempting to do was hook patient's up with the proper primary care so they wouldn't present to the ER for trivial primary care complaints and swamp the resources of Emergency Medicine.

In short, they tried to come up with a way to address a massive problem in America's Emergency Medicine community.

It's against federal law for any Emergency Room to "dump" a patient. Refer to EMTALA and educate yourself lest you continue to sound stupid.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obama's work on this was not unethical or illegal in the least. That's why this bullshit story never took off despite the right wing pundatry's best attempts to make it happen over three years ago.

I never said what she did was illegal.

Unethical, you bet.

They were taking people who came to the ER for treatment, and telling them, "this isn't an emergency...go to this other hospital".
Patient dumping.

I assume there are people who would have been fine with this if she had aborted at 8 months based on knowledge of the child's defects.

You foster an environment where imperfect children are disposable, and mothers have the right to kill them in utero...then boo hoo when mothers carry that attitude after the baby is born.

I think it's pretty obvious the woman is ignorant of the child's condition, probably not well versed in English, suffering from depression, and undoubtedly felt she was acting in the best interests of the baby.

All perfectly acceptable reasons to kill babies in this country at this time. Post birth abortion. Get over it.

No, I mean "you". I left off "if" but it's just a style thing.

IF you foster an environment...so on and so forth.

Please tell that to Michele Obama. She made her name during Obama's first presidential campaign by taking a hefty salary from a hospital in order to streamline ER operations. She streamlined them by sending patients to other hospitals, then took a lengthy leave of absence before finally resigning. At least, I think she resigned. Heck, maybe she's still getting paid.

That doesn't even begin to approximate what happened. What the group Obama was tied to was attempting to do was hook patient's up with the proper primary care so they wouldn't present to the ER for trivial primary care complaints and swamp the resources of Emergency Medicine.

In short, they tried to come up with a way to address a massive problem in America's Emergency Medicine community.

It's against federal law for any Emergency Room to "dump" a patient. Refer to EMTALA and educate yourself lest you continue to sound stupid.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obama's work on this was not unethical or illegal in the least. That's why this bullshit story never took off despite the right wing pundatry's best attempts to make it happen over three years ago.

I never said what she did was illegal.

Unethical, you bet.

They were taking people who came to the ER for treatment, and telling them, "this isn't an emergency...go to this other hospital".
Patient dumping.

"Dumping" patients from the ER is illegal nitwit. That's why I provided the federal law.

The example you provided is a classic EMTALA violation.

And, needless to say, the University of Chicago (one of the nation's best graduate medical education programs) isn't going to institute a policy that violates federal law.

It's a shame you are content to simply regurgitate three year old talking points from the pundits.

It's not a talking point. It's what she did. So she wasn't convicted, so what. Clinton wasn't either. Doesn't mean that isn't what she did. Lots of people are never convicted.

Last edited:
It's not a talking point. It's what she did. So she wasn't convicted, so what. Clinton wasn't either. Doesn't mean that isn't what she did. Lots of people are never convicted.

No, it's not what she, or the group did. They attempted to hook poor patient's who were using the ER for primary care into the proper outpatient primary care venues.

At no time did they recommend turning people away from the ER.

This basic ignorance (at best) or blatent distortion for political gain on healthcare policy is the reason why nothing ever get's done in this country and that our system will continue to be a mess until it's completely broken.

Yeah, they hooked them up alright...

" The Chicago Tribune [FONT=times new roman,times]reports[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times] that Dr. Larry Weiss, president of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine is unhappy about UCMC's failure to consult its own ER physicians before initiating the program: "Not including emergency-room physicians ... would be analogous to changing the way surgery is performed in an operating room without involving any surgeons." Dr. Whitaker assures us, however, that such critics are merely "opposed to change."[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Presumably, he would be similarly dismissive of Angela Adams, who brought her son to the medical center's ER after his lip had been partially torn off by a pit bull. As the Tribune [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]puts it[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times], "Instead of rushing Dontae into surgery ... the hospital's staff began pressing her about insurance." Unfortunately for Dontae, he was covered by Medicaid. So, all he got from the UCMC emergency department was a shot, some antibiotics, and instructions to "follow up with Cook County." Angela had to take her son across town to John Stroger Hospital, where he was immediately admitted for reconstructive surgery. Like doctors Jouriles and Weiss, Angela is having trouble seeing the community benefit of the Urban Health Initiative."[/FONT]

Archived-Articles: Michelle Obama's Patient-Dumping Scheme

That Michele is a champ!

Thanks for that koshergirl..theliq:cool:

No, I mean "you". I left off "if" but it's just a style thing.

IF you foster an environment...so on and so forth.

Yeah, they hooked them up alright...

" The Chicago Tribune [FONT=times new roman,times]reports[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times] that Dr. Larry Weiss, president of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine is unhappy about UCMC's failure to consult its own ER physicians before initiating the program: "Not including emergency-room physicians ... would be analogous to changing the way surgery is performed in an operating room without involving any surgeons." Dr. Whitaker assures us, however, that such critics are merely "opposed to change."[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Presumably, he would be similarly dismissive of Angela Adams, who brought her son to the medical center's ER after his lip had been partially torn off by a pit bull. As the Tribune [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]puts it[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times], "Instead of rushing Dontae into surgery ... the hospital's staff began pressing her about insurance." Unfortunately for Dontae, he was covered by Medicaid. So, all he got from the UCMC emergency department was a shot, some antibiotics, and instructions to "follow up with Cook County." Angela had to take her son across town to John Stroger Hospital, where he was immediately admitted for reconstructive surgery. Like doctors Jouriles and Weiss, Angela is having trouble seeing the community benefit of the Urban Health Initiative."[/FONT]

Archived-Articles: Michelle Obama's Patient-Dumping Scheme

That Michele is a champ!

Other than the link to the obvioulsy biased blog (which even begrudgingly admits that they didn't violate EMTALA), the other two Tribune links don't work.

Because they're ancient, no doubt.

As I said, it will come out eventually. Just give it time.

Oh, so you are just too lazy to check you own links?

This controversy occurred in the Spring of 2009. As a result, the UCMC changed it's policy in March of 2009.

Hannity and all the other right wing pundits all took a crack at this in the Summer of '09. How much more time do you need?

I just find it perplexing that the same people who fight for a woman's right to destroy her baby in her body have a problem with her destroying the baby once it exits her body. Particularly given the fact that often, the aborted babies are alive upon exiting mom's body at birth.

There's no diff. Live with your choice, love it, embrace it. Moms have the right to kill their offspring. I'm sure it will reduce the welfare rolls and eliminate crime!

? Not in America baby!

$2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.
http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

Last edited:

Oh, so you are just too lazy to check you own links?

This controversy occurred in the Spring of 2009. As a result, the UCMC changed it's policy in March of 2009.

Hannity and all the other right wing pundits all took a crack at this in the Summer of '09. How much more time do you need?

As much time as it takes. The media blacked it out. But it will come back, never fear. The media isn't that crazy for the Obamas this time around.

Infant Safe Haven Laws

"Baby Moses laws" or infant safe haven laws have been enacted as an incentive for mothers in crisis to safely relinquish their babies to designated locations where the babies are protected and provided with medical care until a permanent home is found. Safe haven laws generally allow the parent, or an agent of the parent, to remain anonymous and to be shielded from prosecution for abandonment or neglect in exchange for surrendering the baby to a safe haven.
To date, approximately 49 States and Puerto Rico have enacted safe haven legislation."

State law says in an Emergency the Hospital has to render treatment....St. Josephs ER is filled with the no Ins. crowd as well as UCI's is.....

Thanks, Geaux for the link.

From the link:
Mandated care

EMTALA was passed to combat the practice of "patient dumping", i.e., refusal to treat people because of inability to pay or insufficient insurance, or transferring or discharging emergency patients on the basis of high anticipated diagnosis and treatment costs. The law applies when an individual with a medical emergency "comes to the emergency department," regardless of whether the condition is visible to others, or is simply stated by the patient with no external evidence.
The U.S. government defines an emergency department as "a specially equipped and staffed area of the hospital used a significant portion of the time for initial evaluation and treatment of outpatients for emergency medical conditions." This means, for example, that outpatient clinics not equipped to handle medical emergencies are not obligated under EMTALA and can simply refer patients to a nearby emergency department for care.[8]
An emergency medical condition is defined as "a condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in placing the individual's health [or the health of an unborn child] in serious jeopardy, serious impairment to bodily functions, or serious dysfunction of bodily organs." For example, a pregnant woman with an emergency condition must be treated until delivery is complete, unless a transfer under the statute is appropriate.[8]
Though patients treated under EMTALA may or may not be able to pay or have insurance or other programs pay for the associated costs, they are legally responsible for any costs incurred as a result of their care under civil law. Patients whose advance intention it is to receive medical care and fail to pay cannot be held criminally liable unless they intentionally and knowingly provide false identifying information to dodge billing.
The provisions under EMTALA apply primarily in relation to a patient's ability or likelihood to pay. They have no guidelines regarding patients with known or suspected communicable diseases, though other existing laws protect such patients from being denied treatment, while at the same time are designed to prevent the spread of the diseases.
Hospital obligations

Hospitals have three obligations under EMTALA:

1. Individuals requesting emergency care, or those for whom a representative has made a request if the patient is unable, must receive a medical screening examination to determine whether an emergency medical condition (EMC) exists. Examination and treatment cannot be delayed to inquire about methods of payment or insurance coverage, or a patient's citizenship or legal status. The hospital may only start the process of payment inquiry and billing once the patient has been stabilized to a degree that the process will not interfere with or otherwise compromise patient care.
  2. The emergency room (or other better equipped units within the hospital) must treat an individual with an EMC until the condition is resolved or stabilized and the patient is able to provide self-care following discharge, or if unable, can receive needed continual care. Inpatient care provided must be at an equal level for all patients, regardless of ability to pay. Hospitals may not discharge a patient prior to stabilization if the patient's insurance is canceled or otherwise discontinues payment during course of stay.
  3. If the hospital does not have the capability to treat the condition, the hospital must make an "appropriate" transfer of the patient to another hospital with such capability. This includes a long-term care or rehabilitation facilities for patients unable to provide self-care. Hospitals with specialized capabilities must accept such transfers and may not discharge a patient until the condition is resolved and the patient is able to provide self-care or is transferred to another facility.
Since 1986, that makes this law 25 years old this year.

I think it had a lot more to do with the treat at CHOC and the therapy staff. The lack of support that parents of "special needs" children get. The run around that CCS, Medi-Cal and Regional Center all give when applying for and service and or equipment. Then when there is light at the end of the tunnel to get the State to pay for items for your "special needs" child the State sends over a check-off list to the CHOC therapist Jenni Chui PT and she checks no on everything. Even though her evaluation of the special needs child would support having items paid for by the State. The problem is and I fought with Jenny Chui Monday 22, 2011 in the therapy room infront of her. Yelling at Jenni Chui PT's take on "why should the tax payers fit the bill for these people?". Yes there are many people in CHOC that believe they are helping America by denying equipment for Special Needs children that have parents that aren't citizens. Illegal aliens should pick more fruit, dig more ditches, look after other peoples children at 1/3 of the price Americians would. So that they can pay for all the things their child needs.
This woman was overwhelmed by the system not post partem depression.

Forum List

Back