Baby Charlie Hurd passed away today

Like it or not, a human life has an economic value, and there will always be times when it is appropriate to stop the efforts to artificially extend the term of a life and let nature take its course. Although this particular little kid had funding in place, spending it to extend his value-less life would be a travesty. Take that money and do a couple thousand immunizations, or feed the hungry, or find shelter for some homeless people.

No expense or sacrifice is too great for the people who don't have to pay it.

Like it or not, a human life has an economic value, and there will always be times when it is appropriate to stop the efforts to artificially extend the term of a life and let nature take its course. Although this particular little kid had funding in place, spending it to extend his value-less life would be a travesty. Take that money and do a couple thousand immunizations, or feed the hungry, or find shelter for some homeless people.

Exactly what I thought. Prohibit people from spending their money on their health care. Confiscate it and spend it how the government sees fit.

I understand what you're saying and agree with most of it but "value-less" life? Wouldn't hurt to gain a little sensitivity.

Otherwise, what we see here is indeed a question for our society. Cost vs benefit is a hard reality, we do not have unlimited funds/resources, and while it seems inhumane to deny a baby every chance to live, there is also the other side of the coin. Which is what could we have done instead with that money? Was there no chance, or almost no change for the baby? Was he suffering? I wouldn't want my last days to be like his was, suffering or not; there's a difference between living and existing.

I understand what you're saying and agree with most of it but "value-less" life? Wouldn't hurt to gain a little sensitivity.

Otherwise, what we see here is indeed a question for our society. Cost vs benefit is a hard reality, we do not have unlimited funds/resources, and while it seems inhumane to deny a baby every chance to live, there is also the other side of the coin. Which is what could we have done instead with that money? Was there no chance, or almost no change for the baby? Was he suffering? I wouldn't want my last days to be like his was, suffering or not; there's a difference between living and existing.
It's their money. They can have a bonfire in the parking lot with it.

What could WE have done with that money? Who is WE? Do you propose some sort of civil forfeiture so the government can steal it?

What could WE have done with that money? Who is WE? Do you propose some sort of civil forfeiture so the government can steal it?

Nominated for dumbass post of the day. Who the hell do you think I'm talking about? WE as in WE Americans as in OUR SOCIETY. As for civil forfeiture, what the eff are you talking about? I'm not talking about the money that Charlie Hurd's parents got for him in donations, I'm talking about most people in OUR SOCIETY who don't have any money or nowhere near enough for that kind of treatment. I don't give a shit about anybody with a few million dollars or more to pay their own medical bills, I'm referring to everybody else.

The sad thing is that you are serious in what you say. You suggest that even if the parents had the funds to treat the child you suggest the money would be better spent on “a couple thousand immunizations, or feed the hungry, or find shelter for some homeless people.”

Since the money was donated what gives you or anyone else the right to tell the parents how to spend it? Now I am going to ask you a question: If your child was suffering from a terminal illness but there was some hope that the child could be saved and you had the funds to pay all costs would you do everything in your power to save the child or would you prefer to donate the money to charity? I already know the answer you hypocritical numb-skull.

In a just and fair world, the parents would have been allowed to try any course of treatment that held out the smallest glimmer of hope for their child. Even a one-in-a -million chance of survival is far better than certain death, especially when someone you love is at risk.

Now let me tell you something that I know about you: during your lifetime you have acquired possessions you didn't really need to meet your basic survival needs; during your lifetime you spent money on things simply because they gave you pleasure; during your lifetime, you often ate and drank more than you really needed to; and during all this lifetime of excess and waste you didn't give a royal damn about the unimmunized, the hungry and the homeless. You were unwilling to give up non-essential pleasures to help the unimmunized, the hungry and the homeless, yet in your self-righteous arrogance you condemn parents who preferred to save the life of their child than to assist others who are not facing death.

I sincerely hope no one you love ever suffers from a life-threatening illness with little chance of survival; however, if it happens I also hope that you are given every opportunity under the sun to explore any treatment options available even those which are untested as long as they offer some promise of success.

Correct it's their money, but when it runs out (or they choose to stop spending it), who turns off the switch? The parents? The taxpayers? A state designated executioner?

Exactly what I thought. Prohibit people from spending their money on their health care. Confiscate it and spend it how the government sees fit.

The British government spent a small fortune keeping little Charlie on life support for a year. Would an American insurance company have authorized the level of care that this baby received, given his prognosis?

If you think they would, I have a ski resort in Miami I would like to sell you.

Once the family said they were paying, the government should have no further interest in the child. Once the family said they were paying out of pocket, an American Insurance company would not have stopped them from receiving the care they paid for.

Under socialized medicine scientific innovation is frowned upon. That's the take away from this. No experimentation, no new treatments, no medical advancement. Why? Because the very sick might live and under socialized medicine the savings occurs only when people die.

Correct it's their money, but when it runs out (or they choose to stop spending it), who turns off the switch? The parents? The taxpayers? A state designated executioner?
It's their money! Why is this so hard to understand. It was an experimental treatment if it doesn't work, the patient dies. Maybe something is learned to make it work next time or the time after that. That's what experimental treatments are all about. How many people died before there was a treatment for malaria or the black plague or cancer treatments?

You can afford a new car. You have the money to buy a Rolls Royce the government decides you can drive a Honda. It will do the same thing, get you from place to place. How many immunizations can a Rolls Royce buy?

The British government spent a small fortune keeping little Charlie on life support for a year. Would an American insurance company have authorized the level of care that this baby received, given his prognosis?

If you think they would, I have a ski resort in Miami I would like to sell you.
No. Insurance companies really are "death panels". They cap expenditures made on saying lives and they rarely, if ever, authorize anything experimental or risky.

It's their money! Why is this so hard to understand. It was an experimental treatment if it doesn't work, the patient dies. Maybe something is learned to make it work next time or the time after that. That's what experimental treatments are all about. How many people died before there was a treatment for malaria or the black plague or cancer treatments?

You can afford a new car. You have the money to buy a Rolls Royce the government decides you can drive a Honda. It will do the same thing, get you from place to place. How many immunizations can a Rolls Royce buy?
It's a national healthcare system, single payer, ergo, it's "the People's money". National Health Service (England) - Wikipedia

In the US, unless the parents were rich, the kid would have been dead the first month it needed life support.

Once the family said they were paying, the government should have no further interest in the child. Once the family said they were paying out of pocket, an American Insurance company would not have stopped them from receiving the care they paid for.

Under socialized medicine scientific innovation is frowned upon. That's the take away from this. No experimentation, no new treatments, no medical advancement. Why? Because the very sick might live and under socialized medicine the savings occurs only when people die.
That's not my understanding of events. Yes, the parents were taking donations to send the kid to the US, but I do not believe they were paying for current expenses. I could be wrong but couldn't find anything other than England's national healthcare system.

What we need in the US is a combination of "Hunger Games", "Soylent Green" and "The 10th Victim". Put the competitions on PPV and offer bounties for those who go to the euthanasia centers. Result? Less humanity, but much more efficiency and lower costs.

/sarcasm

Infanticide.

Innocent child killed by nationalized medicine and its handmaiden courts.

Just exactly what The Democrat Party of Death wants for ALL Americans.
Since the parents were Middle Class, the kid would have been dead as soon as the insurance money ran out if it'd been in America.

How many here have run up against their limit on insurance or know someone who has? IRL, not the fucking Internet or "I heard from my sister's friend's cousin...."

Infanticide.

Innocent child killed by nationalized medicine and its handmaiden courts.

Just exactly what The Democrat Party of Death wants for ALL Americans.
Since the parents were Middle Class, the kid would have been dead as soon as the insurance money ran out if it'd been in America.

How many here have run up against their limit on insurance or know someone who has? IRL, not the fucking Internet or "I heard from my sister's friend's cousin...."

WOOOOOSSSSSHHHHH!

Point is, Britain's Communist-Care would not allow the parents to opt out of their clutches and send the child to America where he might have gotten help - none of which would have been at government expense.

It's command-and-control medicine - the most deadly kind.

But I do understand why you liberals so love it.

Forum List

Back