Baby Bunnies!

MHunterB

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2012
Right in the middle of our front lawn! Husband got side-tracked and didn't mow the lawn for a while....he startled Momma Bunny the other morning and went over to find out that he'd mowed the top off her little den.

So we put back the tufts of dead grass and fur, and have been hoping the little ones are OK.

I know, I should have pictures ..... they're about adult mouse size, and seem to ile together like other little rodents do. Their little eyes are open and they look pretty much like grown bunnies only a lot smaller. But they're sooooo! much cuter! We just look at 'em, although I'm told it wouldn't cause Momma to reject them if we did. As long as they seem to be fine there's no need to disturb them.

Don't ask me why Momma didn't use our woodpile like the smart bunnies do.

Momma will probably kill them all. Sorry, gruesome, I know, but true.

Bunnies are funny, and not the best parents.

We haven't touched 'em, just looooooking.....

And they were still there this afternoon. So far, so good : )

I'm beginning to feel like a harbinger of death and destruction, between this and the baby robin thread.

I'm beginning to feel like a harbinger of death and destruction, between this and the baby robin thread.

Small animals bring death & destruction to mind? My TOWN has pet chickens that hang out around my house, when the cats are roaming elsewhere.

I've been around animals a lot, so when I hear people talking about baby bunnies and robins, I have lots of horrific tales to share.....

I've been around animals a lot, so when I hear people talking about baby bunnies and robins, I have lots of horrific tales to share.....

Sad to read that; I did have a pet bunny killed by a dam*ed hunting dog once.

I had a French Lop who slaughtered her first...what, litter? I don't know what a birthing of bunnies is called. It was a long time ago, what can I say...but I got up to check her and there were bloody dead babies strewn all over her hutch, the obnoxious thing.

She was a weird bunny, anyway. She also bit the crap out of me when I held her (and I held her correctly, I learned in 4-H! And I had her from the second she was weaned).

She also attacked a young chicken once.

She reminded me of something...oh yeah:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvs5pqf-DMA]Killer Rabbit - YouTube[/ame]

Momma bunny came back, and bunnies were still there until yesterday when the nest was deserted.

I'm kind of glad, really - our front lawn was beginning to resemble a savannah! Husband went around and raked at the long patches in the yard hoping to locate any other babies to avoid scalping 'em. Nothing.......

No blood or hunks of fur about, and we think we saw some of the little ones doing 'dawn patrol' this morning....

We have psychotic critters in the neighborhood - there are wild turkeys which cavort through every yard on the street. Even the dogs go into hiding when they show up!
That's gotten to be rather common in many towns in our area of the Northeast. Much less of a problem than the black bears, but annoying when the birds mob you!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back