Baby boxes

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
I guess this goes under ethics. It's a European story but apparently they exist in the US as well and it's more an ethical question than a geographical one.

The Baby Box returns to Europe

Boxes where parents can leave an unwanted baby, common in medieval Europe, have been making a comeback over the last 10 years. Supporters say a heated box, monitored by nurses, is better for babies than abandonment on the street - but the UN says it violates the rights of the child.

It is an unlikely scene for the most painful of dramas. On the edge of a road in a leafy suburb of Berlin, there is a sign pointing through the trees down a path. It says "Babywiege" - Baby Cradle.

At the end of that path, there is a stainless steel hatch with a handle. Pull that hatch open, and there are neatly folded blankets for a baby. The warmth is safe and reassuring. There is a letter, too, telling you who to call if you change your mind.

About twice a year, someone - presumably a woman - treads that path at the secluded rear of Waldfriede Hospital and leaves the baby, perhaps born in secret only a few hours earlier.

That person - presumably the mother - then turns and walks away, never to see the baby again. The baby grows, but never gets to know who his or her mother was.

The word "presumably" is used because the process is secret and anonymous, so nobody knows who the people are who make that walk, carrying a baby to reverse their steps without one.

So one of the arguments made by those who condemn the system is that it may well be men who are giving the baby away, dumping him or her seems too hard a word. The critics say that baby boxes may be used by unscrupulous fathers or even controllers of prostitutes to put pressure on mothers to dispose of an unwanted baby.

The psychologist, Kevin Browne of Nottingham University told the BBC: "Studies in Hungary show that it's not necessarily mothers who place babies in these boxes - that it's relatives, pimps, step-fathers, fathers.

"Therefore, the big question is: are these baby boxes upholding women's rights, and has the mother of that child consented to the baby being placed in the baby box?"

BBC News - The 'baby box' returns to Europe

Not sure how I feel about this. Sad for the baby in question. Concerned for the mother. Perhaps angry at the mother as well, though I don't know what her situation is. Also concerned about the possibility that babies are given away under duress.

Would much prefer to see those wishing to give up a child have access to counseling than this wholly impersonal approach, but it's better than late term abortion IMO, or a child being denied vital care and medical attention that may be required.

Heartbreaking really.

We have something like this here in the USA, You can abandon a baby at any hospital with no negative consequences. It prevents things like what happened in my state about 15 years ago when a person left a baby under a tree in freezing cold weather, the child died. While It's tragic for the child to be left at least there is no gap in care for the child.

Forum List

Back