Baa, Baa Black Sheep blacklisted

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
And perhaps these same children will some day come to America for their college and post-grad degrees. :rolleyes:

Baa, Baa Black Sheep blacklisted Wed Jun 14, 6:50 AM ET

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - An Indian state has removed nursery rhymes such as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep" from its primary school syllabus because they are "too Western," newspapers said Wednesday.

The government in the central state of Madhya Pradesh, run by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party, dropped the rhymes, immensely popular with millions of Indian children, from its Class I syllabus taught to five-year-olds.

"We want our children to have value education in local color," the Hindustan Times quoted Narottam Mishra, the state's school education minister as saying.

Children will now learn English-language rhymes written by Indian poets, papers said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060614/od_nm/india_rhymes_dc_1

Abbey Normal said:
And perhaps these same children will some day come to America for their college and post-grad degrees. :rolleyes:

Baa, Baa Black Sheep blacklisted Wed Jun 14, 6:50 AM ET

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - An Indian state has removed nursery rhymes such as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep" from its primary school syllabus because they are "too Western," newspapers said Wednesday.

The government in the central state of Madhya Pradesh, run by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party, dropped the rhymes, immensely popular with millions of Indian children, from its Class I syllabus taught to five-year-olds.

"We want our children to have value education in local color," the Hindustan Times quoted Narottam Mishra, the state's school education minister as saying.

Children will now learn English-language rhymes written by Indian poets, papers said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060614/od_nm/india_rhymes_dc_1

I am actually very surprised. Much of India (especially the northern part) is westernized. I know a couple of girls from Bombay, they dress as if they just got pulled off of fifth avenue and speak with english accents.

I understand the thought process though, who wouldn't want to emphasize local heritage in school?

1549 said:
I am actually very surprised. Much of India (especially the northern part) is westernized. I know a couple of girls from Bombay, they dress as if they just got pulled off of fifth avenue and speak with english accents.

I understand the thought process though, who wouldn't want to emphasize local heritage in school?

Well, actually, here in the good ol' U S of A, our public schools seem hell-bent on teaching cultural diversity even if it is at the expense of more core subjects. In fact, right now, our school district has a teacher going to India this summer to "immerse herself" in Indian culture so she can teach about it back here in the fall.

Abbey Normal said:
Well, actually, here in the good ol' U S of A, our public schools seem hell-bent on teaching cultural diversity even if it is at the expense of more core subjects. In fact, right now, our school district has a teacher going to India this summer to "immerse herself" in Indian culture so she can teach about it back here in the fall.

i disagree, here in america it seems as though they want to teach about any culture and religion except the american culture and religion....

Abbey Normal said:

I think the cultural diversity aspect is rather important, but your example shows that it can be carried away (unless of course she teaches a class that is about indian culture). Cultural diversity defines America and its history. The books we are taught in Literature class (outside of the european classics) may be written by a diverse group of authors, all are still American.

I think this emphasis on Indian nursery tales is similar to the movement in many school districts to read contemporary American authors.

High School World History is the only class I have experienced that emphasized a lot of global cultures. We spent a lot of time on Christianity, Islam, buddhism, and hinduism. Mostly their origins and core beliefs. It actually came in handy because my girlfriend is Indian.

1549 said:
I think the cultural diversity aspect is rather important, but your example shows that it can be carried away (unless of course she teaches a class that is about indian culture). Cultural diversity defines America and its history. The books we are taught in Literature class (outside of the european classics) may be written by a diverse group of authors, all are still American.

I think this emphasis on Indian nursery tales is similar to the movement in many school districts to read contemporary American authors.

High School World History is the only class I have experienced that emphasized a lot of global cultures. We spent a lot of time on Christianity, Islam, buddhism, and hinduism. Mostly their origins and core beliefs. It actually came in handy because my girlfriend is Indian.

15, there is a key difference between actively teaching about other cultures, and banning books because they represent another culture seen as a bad influence.

1549 said:

Too bad for you. In 6th grade my students have comparative religions: Christianity, Judaism, polytheism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Atheism, Agnositicism. 7th grade has it reinforced in religon classes, Creed.

Abbey Normal said:
15, there is a key difference between actively teaching about other cultures, and banning books because they represent another culture seen as a bad influence.

Lets not take this out of context. The rhymes were not banned, they are no longer being taught as part of the syllabus. The government also said, "We want our children to have value education in local color".

Anything after that is just jumping to conclusions. I think describing India as an anti-American country would be way off base. They are a western country by nature. The Indian movie business puts even hollywood to shame.

Kathianne said:
Too bad for you. In 6th grade my students have comparative religions: Christianity, Judaism, polytheism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Atheism, Agnositicism. 7th grade has it reinforced in religon classes, Creed.

When I attended middle school in Illinois (back in the day) we were only taught world history in sixth grade. Mostly the ancient cultures and that sort of stuff. I do not remember being taught the major religions...unless you count ancient polytheism. 7th and 8th grades were reserved for American history.

1549 said:
Lets not take this out of context. The rhymes were not banned, they are no longer being taught as part of the syllabus. The government also said, "We want our children to have value education in local color".

Anything after that is just jumping to conclusions. I think describing India as an anti-American country would be way off base. They are a western country by nature. The Indian movie business puts even hollywood to shame.

How is this different from being banned in the schools:
"An Indian state has removed nursery rhymes such as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep" from its primary school syllabus because they are "too Western," newspapers said Wednesday."

Btw, I did not say India is an anti-American country, but this does not bode well.

1549 said:
When I attended middle school in Illinois (back in the day) we were only taught world history in sixth grade. Mostly the ancient cultures and that sort of stuff. I do not remember being taught the major religions...unless you count ancient polytheism. 7th and 8th grades were reserved for American history.
ancient cultures included Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, polytheism, and yes, even Christianity.

Abbey Normal said:
How is this different from being banned in the schools:
"An Indian state has removed nursery rhymes such as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep" from its primary school syllabus because they are "too Western," newspapers said Wednesday."

Btw, I did not say India is an anti-American country, but this does not bode well.

If tomorrow Shakespeare was to be replaced with more works by F. Scott Fitzgerald, because school districts want to put more of an emphasis on American novels...would you consider Shakespeare banned from schools?

India will not be anti-American. Their economy is very large and global, it could not afford to be anti-American. Besides...they need an ally for their seemingly always imminent nuclear war with Pakistan.

1549 said:
If tomorrow Shakespeare was to be replaced with more works by F. Scott Fitzgerald, because school districts want to put more of an emphasis on American novels...would you consider Shakespeare banned from schools?

I would if they refused to teach Shakespeare because it did not reflect enough local color.

1549 said:
India will not be anti-American. Their economy is very large and global, it could not afford to be anti-American. Besides...they need an ally for their seemingly always imminent nuclear war with Pakistan.

I hope you are right, but I would be more prone to believe you if you could see the problem outlined in the article.

Kathianne said:
ancient cultures included Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, polytheism, and yes, even Christianity.

You are probably right. My only memory of Buddhism in 6th grade history was watching Mulan.

As much as it may irk some people, it is important to teach different cultures and religion. Having at least a basic knowledge allows young people to more easily accept and understand those of different cultural backgrounds. It is a big world out there, filled with millions of different view points. Kids need to know that.