B.C. family's dog saves boy from cougar attack

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
A cougar attacked a B.C. family's golden retriever Saturday night after the dog stepped in between the cougar and an 11-year-old boy.

Police, who later shot the cougar dead, credited the 18-month-old dog -- Angel -- for saving the boy's life.

Austin Forman had gone to retrieve some firewood outside his family's home in Boston Bar, about 200 kilometres northeast of Vancouver.

That's when the cougar began to charge across the yard at the boy.

"I was really scared. At first, I didn't know it was a cougar. I thought it was another dog," Austin told CTV News on Sunday. "As soon as it went underneath the light, I saw that it was a cougar. I knew at that moment, I had to go inside."

Angel, who had been at Austin's side, engaged the cougar, which was slightly larger than Angel.

CTV British Columbia- B.C. family's dog saves boy from cougar attack - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

:clap2:

didn't see the first,,, inform management.. but keep your opinions to yourself.

If anybody here can tell uscitizenhypocrite who "tweety" and "Mr. Ed" is I'm sure he would appreciate it.. No hurry he's off to pop some pills.. :eusa_angel:

Ugh.......

Well i mighty glad i don't live in BC, and i did not experience this ordeal. Angel is a very good dog, and lucky dog. How sweet she jumped in to take the plunge for that small 11 year old boy who could have been very well killed in an attack by a cougar. That's pure love. How sad for the cougar who was killed. I do understand there was no other option in this case. It was a life or death matter, somebody was dying plain and simple. What an evening for that officer, glad he was so speedy and ready to his job. I'm always on the fence with animal stories like this. It's like we as people have slowly been taking over more and more land. We are populated everywhere and don't care to share our dwelling area with predators. Which is completely reasonable, the dwelling with predators. We push all creatures away, but away to where? There is nowhere for them to go. we are all here sharing the same space. We are quick to kill, these animals that we have pushed into small spaces and keep reproducing. We set up plans to keep the numbers in check, to keep the wild fierce animals away. Well what about us? Is it fair we take up all the earth and push other living creatures from their habitats? What about our overpopulation problem, would we just go shooting each other to knock down numbers? It's very unfortunate this cougar ended up at these people's back door but it's just as unfortunate that these people's back door is the cougars front. What to do, how to live in peace among so many?

I thought this thread was about hot, older women going after young guys...dammit. Cougars and milfs are hot!!!

Ugh.......

Well i mighty glad i don't live in BC, and i did not experience this ordeal. Angel is a very good dog, and lucky dog. How sweet she jumped in to take the plunge for that small 11 year old boy who could have been very well killed in an attack by a cougar. That's pure love. How sad for the cougar who was killed. I do understand there was no other option in this case. It was a life or death matter, somebody was dying plain and simple. What an evening for that officer, glad he was so speedy and ready to his job. I'm always on the fence with animal stories like this. It's like we as people have slowly been taking over more and more land. We are populated everywhere and don't care to share our dwelling area with predators. Which is completely reasonable, the dwelling with predators. We push all creatures away, but away to where? There is nowhere for them to go. we are all here sharing the same space. We are quick to kill, these animals that we have pushed into small spaces and keep reproducing. We set up plans to keep the numbers in check, to keep the wild fierce animals away. Well what about us? Is it fair we take up all the earth and push other living creatures from their habitats? What about our overpopulation problem, would we just go shooting each other to knock down numbers? It's very unfortunate this cougar ended up at these people's back door but it's just as unfortunate that these people's back door is the cougars front. What to do, how to live in peace among so many?

I don't think it fair to say Canada and Alaska have "overpopulation" problems.. Great big wide open spaces.. This cougar just saw an easy kill. I don't blame it. I am sorry the cougar died but I would be sorrier for the boy.

I don't think it fair to say Canada and Alaska have "overpopulation" problems.. Great big wide open spaces.. This cougar just saw an easy kill. I don't blame it. I am sorry the cougar died but I would be sorrier for the boy.

Lol, yeah i guess i am more thinking where i live. But in some area's overpopulation is the case, maybe not here, but i am assuming such bc the officer was so close he could get there in a minute. So i am imagining these people not in an isolated area. I also think if they did live in a very rural area, and know the wildlife around them then they would be very silly to tell their 11 year old son to go fetch wood late at night knowing cougars dwell in their woods outback. It would like be saying " hey son, go outside and become a cougars dinner". To go out into the night with no light or protection knowing the danger would be plain stupid. So, i don't think these people thought they lived with a cougar in their backyard. Wild animals come into "people's space" in populated area's all the time, everyone beware.

I am sorry the cougar died, and i would have been very sorry if it had been the boy. I'm am sorry for all death. I don't put a value on the soul. To me no life is more important then another, all life is precious. Everything has something to offer this world, and everything has the ability to take from it.

Forum List

Back