Az sheriff: 'our own government has become our enemy'

dvinman

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2009
"I've been saying this for a long time!"

(CNSNews.com) – Pinal County (Ariz.) Sheriff Paul Babeu is hopping mad at the federal government.

Babeu told CNSNews.com that rather than help law enforcement in Arizona stop the hundreds of thousands of people who come into the United States illegally, the federal government is targeting the state and its law enforcement personnel.

“What’s very troubling is the fact that at a time when we in law enforcement and our state need help from the federal government, instead of sending help they put up billboard-size signs warning our citizens to stay out of the desert in my county because of dangerous drug and human smuggling and weapons and bandits and all these other things and then, behind that, they drag us into court with the ACLU,” Babeu said.

The sheriff was referring to the law suits filed by the American Civil Liberties Union and the U.S. Department of Justice challenging the state’s new immigration law.

“So who has partnered with the ACLU?” Babeu said in a telephone interview with CNSNews.com. “It’s the president and (Attorney General) Eric Holder himself. And that’s simply outrageous.”

Last week, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton placed a temporary injunction on portions of the bill that allowed law enforcement personnel during the course of a criminal investigation who have probable cause to think an individual is in the country illegally to check immigration status. The state of Arizona filed an appeal on Thursday with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

“Our own government has become our enemy and is taking us to court at a time when we need help,” Babeu said.

Babeu and Sheriff Larry Dever of Cochise County Ariz., spoke by phone with CNSNews.com last week about the May 17 ACLU class-action lawsuit, which charges the law uses racial profiling and named the county attorneys and sheriffs in all 15 Arizona counties as defendants. The Department of Justice filed a lawsuit on July 6, charging the Arizona law preempted the federal government’s sole right to enforce immigration law.

“If the president would do his job and secure the border; send 3,000 armed soldiers to the Arizona border and stop the illegal immigration and the drug smuggling and the violence, we wouldn’t even be in this position and where we’re forced to take matters into our own hands,” Babeu said.
Dever said the federal government’s failure to secure the border and its current thwarting of Arizona’s effort to control illegal immigration within its borders has implications for the entire country.

“The bigger picture is while what’s going on in Arizona is critically important, what comes out of this and happens here will affect our entire nation in terms of our ability to protect our citizenry from a very serious homeland security threat,” Dever said. “People who are coming across the border in my county aren’t staying there. They’re going everywhere USA and a lot of them are bad, bad people.”

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), about 250,000 people were detained in Arizona in the last 12 months for being in the country illegally. Babeu said that that number only reflects the number of people detained and that thousands more enter the country illegally each year.

The CBP also reports that 17 percent of those detained already have a criminal record in the United States.

Both Babeu and Dever said they want to remain involved in the legal battle over the law, which many experts predict will end up being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Dever has hired an independent attorney to represent him in the ACLU case and his attorney has already filed a motion of intervention in the DOJ lawsuit so the “(Dever) will have a seat at the table.”

A Web site also has been launched by the non-profit, Iowa-based Legacy Foundation to raise money for the Babeu’s and Dever’s legal defense.

Both men said they believe the outcome of the case has national significance.“For us, this is a public safety matter and a national security threat,” Babeu said. :clap2:

CNSNews.com - Arizona Sheriff: ?Our Own Government Has Become Our Enemy?

The time is now. AZ needs to file a Writ of Mandamus to force the Homeland Security Secretary to do her job!

The name of a writ, the principal word of which when the proceedings were in Latin, was mandamus, we command

The 13th section of the act of congress of Sept. 24, 1789, gives the Supreme Court power to issue writs of mandamus in cases warranted by the principles and usages of law, to any courts appointed or persons holding office, under the authority of the United States

Maybe the Secretary needs the Judicial Supervision of the Roberts' court to do her job properly.

it's only bs if it's not your home state. hot topic, tempest in a teapot ?

Last edited:
Why doesn't Brewer send the NG to the border to deal with the drug trafficking?

To do what exactly?

The problem with sending military troops to the border is they are not trained border enforcement agents. They don't have those skills. Not that they can't learn, but that would be a long process, not a quick fix and it's a waste of money because of turn over.

There are some jobs, mostly administrative, that they could do right away (and that they were doing when the NG was sent to the border by Bush) but that doesn't really fix the problem does it?

There is a small role for a "quick reaction force" in case the border agents get into a gun battle that they could help with, but that's trivial compared to the problem. All in all, sending the military is not a particularly effective response.

To do what exactly?

The problem with sending military troops to the border is they are not trained border enforcement agents. They don't have those skills. Not that they can't learn, but that would be a long process, not a quick fix and it's a waste of money because of turn over.

There are some jobs, mostly administrative, that they could do right away (and that they were doing when the NG was sent to the border by Bush) but that doesn't really fix the problem does it?

There is a small role for a "quick reaction force" in case the border agents get into a gun battle that they could help with, but that's trivial compared to the problem. All in all, sending the military is not a particularly effective response.

I disagree. I think our military COULD be quite an effective force along the border and it wouldn't really take a lot of retraining to accomplish it. What is different about patrolling the border than patrolling anything else? Hell, such could be written off as training exercises for units soon to be deployed in the middle east.

The fact remains, the longer the southern border is allowed to hemmorage into the US the longer this debate will go on... until 2nd and third generation mexican americans born from illegals are able to craft domestic laws.

I'm not talking about border enforcement, I'm talking about drug trafficking...hello?

The National Guard - Guard members, Colombians fight together against drug trafficking

I would like to know why Brewer is more concerned with making a political statement than she is with actually solving a problem. Could it be her upcoming re-election campaign?

what about that entire national park that is off limits to american citzens because of drugs and illegals?

both repubs and dems have failed to win that land back....

Sadly,he's right. This President suing his own fellow American Citizens on behalf of the Mexican Government and Illegals is just wrong. I think more & more Americans are agreeing with me on this. I think the Democrats are vastly underestimated the anger out there over them suing Arizona. People just need to get out there and vote this year. Real change can happen. It's time to show the Democrats the door.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Could the mods possibly merge this thread with the one I started in immigration?

To do what exactly?

I disagree. I think our military COULD be quite an effective force along the border and it wouldn't really take a lot of retraining to accomplish it. What is different about patrolling the border than patrolling anything else? Hell, such could be written off as training exercises for units soon to be deployed in the middle east.

The fact remains, the longer the southern border is allowed to hemmorage into the US the longer this debate will go on... until 2nd and third generation mexican americans born from illegals are able to craft domestic laws.

On the latter, I agree with you.

As a former Infantryman (the kind of guy that would be asked to do the mission), I have to disagree with the former. We were never trained to be law enforcement officers. I guess NG get some training fro natural disaster and riot control, but that's not much like border patrol.

Typically on guard missions like this they would only issue us 3 rounds of ammo. It's likely if anything serious happens there would be a bunch of dead soldiers. On the other hand, if well supplied, there could be a lot of Mexican deaths because of poorly trained guardsmen. Now, if there is a military policy unit they can throw in there, that would be different. I think that would help. MPs and a QRF would be very useful.

To do what exactly?

I agree ...
Ever sneak into a concert or something similar when you were younger (or now for that matter)? Where do you go to get in? It was always the place that was unguarded where I got through and the wetbacks know that there isnt anyone watching. The simple fact that there are now troops watch would deter and make the borders safer!!

Klan like, or ghestapo get out your papers

plenty are against this shit including me, unlike the others I'm for mass deportation. I'm just not for using ghestapo tactics or playing faux outrage to get racist votes.

how can we rationalize the good citizens murdered ?
we all america are sending a message to the world now that we can't defend our border, not good

Last edited:

Forum List

Back