AZ Sheriff hires 400-person posse to hunt down Hispanics suspected to be illegals!

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
And, to illustrate everything that I've been talking about concerning potential abuses of this law we have:

Sheriff Joe Arpario, who has hired 400 deputies in a sort of permanent posse to search for and arrest Hispanics suspected of being illegal immigrants.

Here's an interesting read on the Sheriff's other abuses:

Crackdown inspired by toughest sheriff in US - Americas, World - The Independent

Excerpts from Crackdown inspired by toughest sheriff in US, By David Usborne:

Hispanics in Phoenix, Arizona, live on the patch of a man they call the "toughest sheriff in America", who, in his own way, has already been implementing many of the measures now contained in the new, state-wide immigration Bill.

He is Joe Arpaio, and stands as a symbol of what mortifies so many people about the new law – he is under investigation by the Justice Department for alleged civil rights abuses – and of the reasons it passed in the first place. And why the Governor, Janet Brewer, signed it. That's because Mr Arpaio, 77, does better with the voters the harsher he plays it. In November 2008 he was elected to serve as county sheriff for the fifth time.

In his first terms in office, Mr Arpaio was not focused on illegal immigration so much as crime generally. He rose to national prominence by opening his now infamous "tent city" prison in Phoenix, which remains in business today and was toured by this reporter last summer. Inmates boil under the canvas of army surplus tents, wear pink underclothes and sleep on pink sheets. Some work on chain gangs.

Mr Arpaio acknowledged his tactics had meant that some Hispanics had become afraid even to go to church. But that was what he wanted. By his own calculation, he and his deputies had managed to drive as many as half of all the illegal immigrants out of the city.

****Note: this thread replaces the previous one that was rightly deleted for copyrighted content - Vast.

Maybe for his next trick he can shoot them dead on sight.

Sounds like the people of Arizona are pretty darn bloodthirsty.

If Mexico can't or won't control the border we should annex it and install Sheriff Joe as their new El Presidente

And, to illustrate everything that I've been talking about concerning potential abuses of this law we have:

Sheriff Joe Arpario, who has hired 400 deputies in a sort of permanent posse to search for and arrest Hispanics suspected of being illegal immigrants.

Crackdown inspired by toughest sheriff in US - Americas, World - The Independent

Hispanics in Phoenix, Arizona, live on the patch of a man they call the "toughest sheriff in America", who, in his own way, has already been implementing many of the measures now contained in the new, state-wide immigration Bill.

He is Joe Arpaio, and stands as a symbol of what mortifies so many people about the new law – he is under investigation by the Justice Department for alleged civil rights abuses – and of the reasons it passed in the first place. And why the Governor, Janet Brewer, signed it. That's because Mr Arpaio, 77, does better with the voters the harsher he plays it. In November 2008 he was elected to serve as county sheriff for the fifth time.

In his first terms in office, Mr Arpaio was not focused on illegal immigration so much as crime generally. He rose to national prominence by opening his now infamous "tent city" prison in Phoenix, which remains in business today and was toured by this reporter last summer. Inmates boil under the canvas of army surplus tents, wear pink underclothes and sleep on pink sheets. Some work on chain gangs.

Mr Arpaio acknowledged his tactics had meant that some Hispanics had become afraid even to go to church. But that was what he wanted. By his own calculation, he and his deputies had managed to drive as many as half of all the illegal immigrants out of the city.

****Note: this thread replaces the previous one that was rightly deleted for copyrighted content - Vast.

Where do you get this 400 figure from? And what is "sort of permanent"? Either they are permanent or they're not.

I think you just make shit up as you go which means you are bordering on zero credibility.

Where do you get this 400 figure from? And what is "sort of permanent"? Either they are permanent or they're not.

I think you just make shit up as you go which means you are bordering on zero credibility.

Who cares?

I'll believe it: Now what's wrong with a sherrif deputizing anyone to enforce the law?

• Banned
Any proof to the media hysterics that this "posse" is or will be on a detain-arrest-and-deport mission?

From the Maricopa Sheriff's office home page:

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

Illegal Immigration Stats to Date Under the State law:

Arrests by Sheriff’s deputies of persons transporting or being transported illegally into Arizona: 2,016

Under the Federal law:

Arrests by Sheriff’s deputies who, in the course of their duties, determine the arrestee is in Arizona illegally: 1,926

ICE “Holds”
Each inmate booked is interviewed for immigration status. Sheriff’s detention officers have turned over 33,802 illegal immigrants to Immigration authorities for deportation.

My information on the 400 new Deputies hired by the Sheriff's office tasked with enforcing illegal immigration comes directly from a first-hand source who is a resident of Maricopa county.

He is my boss' son, and was just on the phone telling us about the situation this morning.

• Banned
Actually, in the interest of accuracy, I need to make a correction:

The 400 people mentioned are the total number involved in the operation.

Though the deputized "posse" members make up a significant part of that number.

Any proof to the media hysterics that this "posse" is or will be on a detain-arrest-and-deport mission?

From the Maricopa Sheriff's office home page:

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

Illegal Immigration Stats to Date Under the State law:

Arrests by Sheriff’s deputies of persons transporting or being transported illegally into Arizona: 2,016

Under the Federal law:

Arrests by Sheriff’s deputies who, in the course of their duties, determine the arrestee is in Arizona illegally: 1,926

ICE “Holds”
Each inmate booked is interviewed for immigration status. Sheriff’s detention officers have turned over 33,802 illegal immigrants to Immigration authorities for deportation.

My information on the 400 new Deputies hired by the Sheriff's office tasked with enforcing illegal immigration comes directly from a first-hand source who is a resident of Maricopa county.

He is my boss' son, and was just on the phone telling us about the situation this morning.
Right...Any proof that these people are pulling people for Driving While Mexican or stopping passers-by in the streets?

They are temporary personnel, but the Sheriff's office has conducted 14 operations to date, meaning they are not a one-time "posse", thus the "sort of permanent" comment.

Right...Any proof that these people are pulling people for Driving While Mexican or stopping passers-by in the streets?

The 14 operations thus far are described by the Sheriff's office as "sweeps".

To me, this indicates active searching, not passive traffic stops. Do you have different information?

Actually, here is a press report from the Sheriff's office.

In it they describe training 900 new deputies for his operations, as well as describe an incident of capturing illegals in a residence.

Unfortunately it's in PDF format, which makes it difficult to cut and paste from it. Here's the link:

http://www.barriozona.com/files/ARPAIO_ANNOUNCES_14th_CRIME_SUPRESSION.pdf

They also mention the fact that the 100 Deputies he previously used (that were trained by the Department of Homeland Security), were dismissed by DHS, and their permission to carry on these activities was revoked.

Last edited:
And, if you read the above link,

you'll find that the Sheriff's department is using the term "Posses" to describe the people they are using for these operations.

I see nothing in the article about illegals being shot on sight.... So basically, you are speculating - and then calling Arizonians bloodthirsty based purely on your own speculation. Damn, girl.... that's some seriously dumb shit.

Didn't see anything in there that leads me to believe that there's a detain-arrest-and deport pogrom going on.

In the meantime, 900 new deputies in a metro area of 4.3 million, especially given that the feds have abandoned them, doesn't sound like a terribly excessive response.

I see nothing in the article about illegals being shot on sight.... So basically, you are speculating - and then calling Arizonians bloodthirsty based purely on your own speculation. Damn, girl.... that's some seriously dumb shit.

Ravi, I'm going to have to agree on this, You've got some serious hyperbole going on there.

Didn't see anything in there that leads me to believe that there's a detain-arrest-and deport pogrom going on.

In the meantime, 900 new deputies in a metro area of 4.3 million, especially given that the feds have abandoned them, doesn't sound like a terribly excessive response.

Alright, how about the tent city he's got going on, where he's housing thousands of illegals in pink underpants?

Any thoughts on that?

Yes, then he'll begin the Invasion of California, which will lead to his overthrow of the US Government after which he'll appoint himself Dictator for Life and begin Impaling Mexicans on the White House Lawn!!!!
hysteria.jpg

Forum List

Back