Axelrod: This is a "Tea Party downgrade"

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
I have to admit, I applauded when I read the headline. :clap2:

In an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation," Axelrod, currently a campaign strategist for President Obama, said the U.S. economic downgrade was "largely a political analysis" and that "there's a broad consensus that [the U.S.] is still the safest place to invest your money."

Nevertheless, he argued, the Tea Party was responsible for blocking a comprehensive deal that could have prevented such a downgrade.

"We can debate the strength of the analysis that they did, the history of S&P and so on," Axelrod told CBS' Bob Schieffer, of Standard & Poor's, the credit rating agency that downgraded the U.S. market from AAA to AA+ on Friday. "They made an egregious analytical error here but theirs was largely a political analysis... They want to see the kind of solution that the president has been fighting for... that will be balanced, that will include revenues, that will deal with some of our long-term issues."

"For months, the president was saying, let's get together, let's compromise," Axelrod continued. "We thought we had such an arrangement with the Speaker of the House... then he went back to his caucus; he had to yield to the most strident voices in his party. They played brinkmanship with the full faith and credit of the United States. This was the result in that."

"The fact of the matter is that this is essentially a Tea Party downgrade," he declared. "That clearly is on the backs of those who were willing to see the country default."

Axelrod: This is a "Tea Party downgrade" - CBS News

And from Howard Dean, same article.

"If you look at the Standard & Poor's report, three times they mentioned that our unwillingness to raise revenues was going to make it impossible for us to regain our credit rating," Dean said. "That's a pretty clear signal. The American people are there, the Democrats are there, a lot of reasonable Republicans are there, but they are terrified of these right wing splinter groups, the radical right, because they are so powerful in the primaries."

Last edited:
  • Banned
One Australian's take on things (lest anybody think we're safe in our own little bubble, and it's just "us vs them").

Ideologues ratchet up US tensions | The Australian

The declared Republican goal of using the debt ceiling as an instrument to extract policy concessions on a regular basis adds an explosive new element of long-term risk.

In a nutshell, when you have a political party that does not agree that revenue levels must bear a relationship to outlays, and is willing to foment a systemic crisis in order to maximise its leverage, you're in trouble.

wowsers, a democratic party operative is blaming the republicans.

didn't see that coming :lol:

the only thing funnier is that the OP thinks it's news.

:rofl:

i'll go out on a limb and say that somewhere there's a republican blaming the democrats

:eusa_shhh:

i'll go out on a limb and say that somewhere there's a republican blaming the democrats

I know! Shocking!!

It must be hard to be as dumb as BD consistently demonstrates.... still, at least she's consistent. That's a good thing... isn't it? :eusa_eh:

casablanca_renault_sm.jpg

Shocked! Shocked, I say....!

I have to admit, I applauded when I read the headline. :clap2:

In an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation," Axelrod, currently a campaign strategist for President Obama, said the U.S. economic downgrade was "largely a political analysis" and that "there's a broad consensus that [the U.S.] is still the safest place to invest your money."

Nevertheless, he argued, the Tea Party was responsible for blocking a comprehensive deal that could have prevented such a downgrade.

"We can debate the strength of the analysis that they did, the history of S&P and so on," Axelrod told CBS' Bob Schieffer, of Standard & Poor's, the credit rating agency that downgraded the U.S. market from AAA to AA+ on Friday. "They made an egregious analytical error here but theirs was largely a political analysis... They want to see the kind of solution that the president has been fighting for... that will be balanced, that will include revenues, that will deal with some of our long-term issues."

"For months, the president was saying, let's get together, let's compromise," Axelrod continued. "We thought we had such an arrangement with the Speaker of the House... then he went back to his caucus; he had to yield to the most strident voices in his party. They played brinkmanship with the full faith and credit of the United States. This was the result in that."

"The fact of the matter is that this is essentially a Tea Party downgrade," he declared. "That clearly is on the backs of those who were willing to see the country default."

Axelrod: This is a "Tea Party downgrade" - CBS News

And from Howard Dean, same article.

"If you look at the Standard & Poor's report, three times they mentioned that our unwillingness to raise revenues was going to make it impossible for us to regain our credit rating," Dean said. "That's a pretty clear signal. The American people are there, the Democrats are there, a lot of reasonable Republicans are there, but they are terrified of these right wing splinter groups, the radical right, because they are so powerful in the primaries."
Wow... the astroturf talking points have gone out.

casablanca_renault_sm.jpg

Shocked! Shocked, I say....!
Your winnings, sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back