aww isnt that cute, more muslim special accomodations, and aclu is silent

Discussion in 'Politics' started by actsnoblemartin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    http://www.nysun.com/article/59485

U. of Michigan Will Provide Muslim Footbaths
    By P.J. HUFFSTUTTER
    Los Angeles Times
    July 31, 2007

When Majed Afana needs to pray while attending classes at the University of Michigan at Dearborn, the 19-year-old Muslim usually will duck into the campus library's bathroom, strip off his shoes, and awkwardly strain to wash his feet in the sink.

Water often pools at his feet, he says, making it slippery to balance on one foot. Some of the sinks have started to pull away from the wall, in part from years of use by others like him Â-- who, according to their faith, must clean their feet prior to praying five times a day. So when the school recently approved installing two footbaths in a pair of new unisex bathrooms, to accommodate the needs of both male and female Muslim students, the local Islamic community started planning ways to raise the estimated $25,000 cost.

But the university told them not to bother Â-- it would pay for the footbaths.

"I think it's great," said Mr. Afana, a pre-med student at this commuter school, where about a reported 11% of the 8,700 students are Muslim. "What we've been doing all these years has been dangerous and can be a safety hazard."

The university says it's tapping student infrastructure fees for the unisex bathrooms, which will also have diaper-changing stations and facilities for mothers to nurse infants, because this is an issue of the school trying to make its bathrooms safer and improve its plumbing Â-- not endorsing religion or promoting Islam.

And while the fees are part of the school's general fund, the money is paid by students, not taxpayers, and is often used for campus maintenance and general construction. The plan, however, has raised the ire of critics, who have been flocking to area conservative Web logs and Michigan radio talk shows to rail against the plan. They insist that such efforts are giving Islamic followers preferential treatment over other faiths.

"Plumbing? You must be kidding. That's an after-the-fact justification for something that is being done for the purpose of meeting a religious demand," said the Reverend Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a religious liberty watchdog group based in Washington, D.C.

"You start permanently changing your architecture for one religious group, you have to do it for all. After all, what's the difference between a footbath used as part of a ritual, and a fountain that can be used for a baptism?" asked Rev. Lynn. "Considering there are 2,000 different religious groups in America, that's a very slippery slope."

Yet groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union who are usually fierce advocates of separating church and state are giving the plan an approving nod.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    How is that special treatment? The Christians at the school I attend have a choice of about half a dozen on-campus chapels and churches. As far as I know there aren't any Muslim facilities at all.

I don't see how this is "special" treatment, unless by "special" you mean giving one group nearly everything and giving another group nearly nothing and then bitching like a little crybaby when that group gets anything.

You're right though Muslims sure get a lot of special treatment in this society. Like at airports they're always so friendly to the Muslims.

Not to mention anyone who supports Bush's faith based initiatives - and I'm not saying you do - but if you did, you'd by a hypocrite, since through these initiatives Bush has succeeded in spending the taxpayers money on thousands of Bibles and other "special accommodations" for Christians.

Christians wash their hands before prayers, too. When do you wash your hands? Before meals. What do Christians do before meals? Pray. They're washing their hands before prayer, therefore, it is a ritual, thus public money should not be spent on sinks.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,017
    Yup, usual clap trap by leftoid apologists. Personally I have no problem with the campus buying foot washers, but it is special treatment.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    How is it not special treatment? It's using my tax dollars to cater to a religion. If you can't cater to mine, you can't cater to his. Or is that too fair for you?

5. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I gotta agree with gunny, cater to all, or cater too none.

6. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105

I have to agree here. An institute of education has no obligation to a religion that feels god only speaks to people with clean feet, and who do this :bowdown: every day at 9am or something. Where is the education in that?

If there is going to be special treatment to religions, keep it in religious schools. Public institutions give special treatment to those who seek logic and reasonable explanations for every observable event. Thats what I seek, give me special treatment, not this guy :bowdown:

7. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

"The anti-American and anti-Christian ACLU is certainly duplicitous."

Anti-christian? Care to retract that false statement?

Here are just some of the cases ACLU took on, to defend the religious freedoms of christians. They even teamed up with JERRY FALWELL on one case. The ACLU defends everyone's constitutional rights and freedom of religion, regardless of what Sean Hannity instructed you to think:

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Bunch of outta control lawyers.

10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Christians have become so accustomed to the special treatment that they have received for centuries in America that they no longer see them as special treatments. They are taken for granted. Now that times are changing and small accommodations are being made to accommodate the traditional practices of other religions, Christians are having a fit. Consider the fact public schools for a long time wasted so much time reciting Christian prayers over the public address systems to a practically captive student audience. Consider the annoyance of the loud church bells that chime every Sunday morning. Consider the Christian chapels at local hospitals and public facilities that have no similar room for Muslims. Now places are providing a small measure of service for Muslims – Oh No!!!