AWOL: John Edwards

UsaPride

Mar 13, 2004
NC
AWOL: John Edwards

“Senator Gone” misses 43% of all votes cast since suspending presidential campaign,
misses consideration of amendments to critical defense bill

(RALEIGH) – Senator John Edwards has again foregone his duties as North Carolina’s senator during his “Pick-Me-For-V.P.- Tour” yesterday in Buffalo, NY. This time, Edwards missed consideration of amendments to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005, an appropriations bill for military activities of the Department of Defense and Department of Energy, military construction and personnel strengths for the Armed Services.

“John Edwards is living up to his nickname of ‘Senator Gone’ by missing votes that are critical for the future of North Carolina and our nation,” said NCGOP Chairman Ferrell Blount. “It is despicable that ‘Senator Gone’ is focusing his attention on promoting his own agenda instead of the defense needs of our nation.”

One would think that since John Edwards suspended his presidential campaign on March 3, 2004, he would be able to fulfill his responsibilities to North Carolinians. But this has not been the case. Edwards has missed 40 votes, or 43% of all votes cast, since his campaign suspended. Overall, Edwards has missed 246 votes, or 42% of all senate votes cast in 2003-2004. (Voting data from CQ Floor Votes through 6/16/04)

All of this comes after Edwards said in 2003 that his Presidential campaign would not interfere with his Senate duties. “Edwards ... pledged that he would not let his pursuit of the presidency undermine his work as a senator. ... ‘I have to make sure that I can do my job,’ [Edwards] said.” (John Wagner, "Edwards Says Run Could Help N.C.," The [Raleigh] News & Observer, 1/4/03)

As it turned out, John Edwards only showed up for work to cast votes against President Bush’s tax relief plan - which included provisions that aim to end the marriage penalty tax, repealing the death tax and increasing the child tax credit. (H.R. 2, CQ Vote #179: Passed 51-49, 5/15/03, Edwards Voted Nay; H.R. 2, CQ Vote #196: Conference Report Agreed To 50-50, With Vice President Cheney Voting Yea: R 48-3; D 2-46; I 0-1, 5/23/03, Edwards Voted Nay).

“John Edwards made a commitment to the people of North Carolina – a commitment to do a job, and a commitment to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate. In fact, he took an oath of office,” added Blount. “If John Edwards will not do the job he swore to do, why would we ever want him as a Vice President?”

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter (emphasis added): So help me God.”

http://www.ncgop.org/media/pr/061704-Edwards_Gone.htm

Forum List

Back