Awkward! NFL's Villanueva feels embarrassed after standing for the national anthem

Ted Frazier

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2016
So what's it gonna be? Soros sent him a check, or Hillary threatened to kill his dog? Pick your conspiracy theory, because the guy who was praised as a hero that right-wing nuts a day ago just regretted his actions.
ESPN: "I see that picture of me standing by myself and I'm embarrassed to a degree, because unintentionally I left my teammates behind," Villanueva said. "It wasn't me stepping forward. I never planned to boycott. ... At the end of the day, whether I want it or not, whether it was my intended plan or not, the reason I went out there by myself is the reason it's causing all this distress."
I'm buying his jersey now!
Villanueva: Standing alone wasn't intentional

Gracie sums it up. We thought he knew what he was doing, but apparently not.

Well, he is feeling pressure from somewhere, thats for sure.
Tis a shame, too. I thought it a brave thing to do. Guess I thought too soon.

Meh
If he was threaten hopefully he'll come out with it and not stay quiet about it. Never let bullies bully when it comes to stuff like that as if one does they are merely easy targets assisting the bullies.

He was probably getting a lot of threats from people after he did that. Its a bummer that he has to go against his beliefs in order to appease the angry mob, but i get it.

• Banned

Meh
If he was threaten hopefully he'll come out with it and not stay quiet about it. Never let bullies bully when it comes to stuff like that as if one does they are merely easy targets assisting the bullies.
Pretending that a war veteran was threatened into submission is a defense mechanism against the embarrassment you right wingers feel right now.

Gotta save face somehow.

He was probably getting a lot of threats from people after he did that. Its a bummer that he has to go against his beliefs in order to appease the angry mob, but i get it.
I don't.
He did 3 tours. And then just pissed on all those guys that died over there. Fuck him and the bullshit he rode in on.

Meh
Pretending that a war veteran was threatened into submission is a defense mechanism against the embarrassment you right wingers feel right now.

Gotta save face somehow.
Yeah, I am embarrassed for believing this guy was saying FU to everyone and he was going to be a man. So yep. Yer right.
And do I think he was bullied? No. But I think he got some pressure for making the rest of the team look like assholes. He knew what the fuck he was doing when he did it. Now the backslide. Ok. Slide into yer hole, mister.

That is part of the problem in this country. People letting crap go and grow. It is one thing to try to get along but if someone threatens your health, life or livelihood they should be dropkick (mentally speaking) into oblivion.

Meh

Gotta save face somehow.
No pretense just reality. Being a team player? He already stood respecting the flag, the anthem and what they represent. Backing down tells me most likely he is being advised to do so or his team mates won't stand with him in a game. Either that or it could be very possible the public outrage has the money people worried so they would possibly make him a scapegoat in their anger. Either way the public isn't going to back down all that easy and the spoiled money boys are going to take a loss big time.

Never mind. I watched the vid. He said ALL the steelers wanted to go out there and stand with him but got blocked. So....I take back what I said. He seems a decent sort.

And..this seems the perfect thread to say I am done with the NFL bullshit. Sick of it. Off to other topics of the day that are more important than this shit.

Meh

Gotta save face somehow.
Yeah, I am embarrassed for believing this guy was saying FU to everyone and he was going to be a man. So yep. Yer right.
And do I think he was bullied? No. But I think he got some pressure for making the rest of the team look like assholes. He knew what the fuck he was doing when he did it. Now the backslide. Ok. Slide into yer hole, mister.
Gracie have you ever lost millions or been severely damaged for standing your ground?

No. But yeah...I can dig it now that I saw the vid. He looked a tad nervous.

Anyway...its just my opinion and now I am tired of the whole shebang. From now on, I'll just watch/thank/agree/informative.

I bet Coach Tomlin threatened him under orders from the Steelers owner. Probably told him he'd be benched and replaced by his backup if he didn't change his position. He decided to put money over patriotism and country.

Forum List

Back