Awesome to Be Catholic

You've got it all figured out internet tough guy, how could I forget all those times Jesus preached genocide and spoke fondly of mass murder.

You belong right up on the pedestal you've placed yourself where you are condemning others to hell, oh righteous one.

Sometimes filth has to be eradicated, asslips.

It is not your call. It is God's.

I like you, Warrior, but you're dragging my faith into the mud with your bullshit. And that kind of pisses me off.

No he's not, he's just dragging himself through the mud. No rational person who isn't a bigot with pre-programmed hate would judge catholics based on Warrior's views.

That's why he is asking the question. He doesn't understand and is trying to do so.

Me, I don't understand it either. But, because I don't, it seems that the Church will have little to do with me.

I'm not crushed about that, though.

We'll take you back... no worries.
;) Thanks for the invitation. My future BIL would be happy if I came back (a priest), but I don't see that happening soon.

My fiancee has just been asked to sponsor a friend of ours' child for confirmation. So, he'll start getting back. He asked me if I would join him, but he knows where I stand. He said it's cool with him, but wants me to be with him for this. I said I'd go through the motions for him and his friend, but that's the best I can do.

I have nothing against the Church at all. My heart just isn't in it. As I was taught that God is all-knowing, it seems rather fraudulent of me to come back.

And no one will force you to come back either.
Glad you're helping out with the confirmation.

I like you, Warrior, but you're dragging my faith into the mud with your bullshit. And that kind of pisses me off.

No he's not, he's just dragging himself through the mud. No rational person who isn't a bigot with pre-programmed hate would judge catholics based on Warrior's views.

I don't have "my views" on my religion.
Catholics are either all in, or they're not all in.
No picking and choosing individually what's right/what's not.
You're not in a position to judge ANY Catholic, as you're ignorant of what it is we believe in. But keep trying. Maybe you'll learn something along the way.

We'll take you back... no worries.
;) Thanks for the invitation. My future BIL would be happy if I came back (a priest), but I don't see that happening soon.

My fiancee has just been asked to sponsor a friend of ours' child for confirmation. So, he'll start getting back. He asked me if I would join him, but he knows where I stand. He said it's cool with him, but wants me to be with him for this. I said I'd go through the motions for him and his friend, but that's the best I can do.

I have nothing against the Church at all. My heart just isn't in it. As I was taught that God is all-knowing, it seems rather fraudulent of me to come back.

And no one will force you to come back either.
Glad you're helping out with the confirmation.
Yup. It's kinda nice that I don't have to look over my shoulder all the time upon leaving my religion, like others have to do.

;)

Yea, but we have a plethora of posters who lost whatever ability to reason that they may have been born with. Idiots will project Warrior's ranting onto me... and that irritates me.

You're not in a position to judge ANY Catholic, as you're ignorant of what it is we believe in. But keep trying. Maybe you'll learn something along the way.

Is é Dia amháin a thabharfaidh breithiúnas orm (Only God shall judge me). It is not for you to decide what Catholics can or cannot do either.

Is é Dia amháin a thabharfaidh breithiúnas orm (Only God shall judge me). It is not for you to decide what Catholics can or cannot do either.

I never said it was up to me to decide.
I agree with you.
I also realize that this idiot Drock has no interest in our religion. He's already proven that time and time again.

Contraception isn't religious doctrine either. Try again!

Yes, it is.

Idiot.

CalGirl I'll ask you this since I know the OP can't give a rational response, but how can catholics approve of a war? Even if they view the war is just, all wars have innocent civilians including children killed in them, which breaks one of the 10 commandments, so shouldn't that mean all catholics should oppose all wars?

No one ever approves of war(except those who want to control and rule over everyone). War is sometimes necessary.
Would you rather have evil people ruling this world? Like the Hitler types?
We have a right to wipe out the evil types of this world.
Jesus is coming back some day with his army to wipe out the evil in this world.

Yes, it is.

Idiot.

CalGirl I'll ask you this since I know the OP can't give a rational response, but how can catholics approve of a war? Even if they view the war is just, all wars have innocent civilians including children killed in them, which breaks one of the 10 commandments, so shouldn't that mean all catholics should oppose all wars?

No one ever approves of war(except those who want to control and rule over everyone). War is sometimes necessary.

Just War Doctrine | Catholic Answers

Yes, it is.

Idiot.

People do approve of war, that's just denying reality to say they don't. Even if war is necessary, i don't see any grey area in the commandment about killing. I'd need to see how Jesus defines evil, and him approving of killing those he deems evil in order for me to think he sides with how you want foreign policy to be administered.

People do approve of war, that's just denying reality to say they don't. Even if war is necessary, i don't see any grey area in the commandment about killing. I'd need to see how Jesus defines evil, and him approving of killing those he deems evil in order for me to think he sides with how you want foreign policy to be administered.

Well, if you 'need to see how Jesus defines evil', I would suggest you read up on it.

Seems to me you recognize what you do not know (which is a good thing) but do nothing to educate yourself (which is a bad thing).

I know of no serving military Catholics who 'want' to go to war. They do it when they have to.... and have no issue with it.

Well, if you 'need to see how Jesus defines evil', I would suggest you read up on it.

Seems to me you recognize what you do not know (which is a good thing) but do nothing to educate yourself (which is a bad thing).

I know of no serving military Catholics who 'want' to go to war. They do it when they have to.... and have no issue with it.

I was a catholic for many years, 3 years in a catholic school, 10 years of sunday school and 16 years of catholic church and now I'm on here asking a catholic questions about her faith, so I would say I'm doing the exact opposite of "doing nothing to educate myself."

I simply said there are ppl who approve of war, Warrior being one of them. I dunno how someone can say they want so much war without approving of it.

Last edited:
Contraception isn't religious doctrine either. Try again!

Yes, it is.

Idiot.

This is what Catholics believe:
The strict conditions for legitimate defense by military force require rigorous consideration. The gravity of such a decision makes it subject to rigorous conditions of moral legitimacy. At one and the same time:

the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
there must be serious prospects of success;
the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition.

These are the traditional elements enumerated in what is called the "just war" doctrine. The evaluation of these conditions for moral legitimacy belongs to the prudential judgment of those who have responsibility for the common good.

Just War Doctrine | Catholic Answers

Yes, it is.

Idiot.

No, it's a question of conscience. Vast numbers of Catholics serve in our military and do so without condemnation from the Church. Certainly, Catholics take the commandment 'thou shalt not kill' very seriously. For example, the Irish Republican Army (the IRA) were excommunicated en mass from the Church. You cannot be a member of the IRA and a Catholic. Why? Because the IRA deliberately murdered civilians. However, as I said, Catholics serve in the military without any issue. It is context. We cannot - as a matter of faith - murder others... including unborn children - hence our belief that abortion is a mortal sin. Mortal sins are not forgivable.... only God can forgive.... there is no dispensation from the Church for murder. One cannot atone for it on earth.

I grew up Catholic, and as I became an adult and understood more about the salvation gifted us through Jesus Christ, the less I understood about this part of church doctrine. Since I couldn't explain it or agree with it, I eventually left. It's not in the power of the church or the priest to forgive your sins, there's nothing that I know of in the Bible that supports this. There's only one way for forgiveness, and it's not controled by an human or human entity, other than yourself.

Hence the Church disapproves of the DP. I personally don't have a major issue with the DP - I have issues as to how it is used in the US. Contrary to popular belief, Catholics are usually quite capable of thinking for themselves.... on any and every issue. The fact remains, the DP is not a doctrinal issue.... therefore, Catholics are not obliged to follow the Church's policy.... we are required to follow it's doctrines.... otherwise, there really is no point in calling oneself a Catholic.

I can understand that this may be above your intellectual pay grade, but there is jack shit I can do about your intellect.

:lol:

I do it all the time, but it's still funny in the context of telling another poster they are stupid.

So Catholics are able to think for themselves, except when it comes to birth control, then it's ver boten?

Nice..

Depends on the 'birth control', contraception is a doctrinal issue... but it is a venial sin (or forgivable if you prefer).... abortion is a mortal sin.... it's a big, big, big no no to Catholics.

With contraception.... the Church leaves the decision to the individual. Many Catholics use birth control... the Church is aware of, and accepts that. It's not a huge issue - unless you expect the Church to pay for the birth control.... that, it cannot do. Because it is against our religion.

I don't know why you keep posting this. Birth control is a MORTAL sin and no the Church does not leave the decision to the individual.

The Church has always maintained the historic Christian teaching that deliberate acts of contraception are always gravely sinful, which means that it is mortally sinful if done with full knowledge and deliberate consent (CCC 1857). This teaching cannot be changed and has been taught by the Church infallibly.

Birth Control | Catholic Answers

:lol:

I do it all the time, but it's still funny in the context of telling another poster they are stupid.

So Catholics are able to think for themselves, except when it comes to birth control, then it's ver boten?

Nice..

Depends on the 'birth control', contraception is a doctrinal issue... but it is a venial sin (or forgivable if you prefer).... abortion is a mortal sin.... it's a big, big, big no no to Catholics.

With contraception.... the Church leaves the decision to the individual. Many Catholics use birth control... the Church is aware of, and accepts that. It's not a huge issue - unless you expect the Church to pay for the birth control.... that, it cannot do. Because it is against our religion.

I don't know why you keep posting this. Birth control is a MORTAL sin and no the Church does not leave the decision to the individual.

The Church has always maintained the historic Christian teaching that deliberate acts of contraception are always gravely sinful, which means that it is mortally sinful if done with full knowledge and deliberate consent (CCC 1857). This teaching cannot be changed and has been taught by the Church infallibly.

Actually, the official source is this:

Humanae Vitae

And, it's forgivable. It does not cast one into Hell for eternity. Certain sins do cast one into Hell.... but not contraception. Just the way it is.

However, you were right. I was not paying significant attention and I did misspeak... it's a mortal sin.... therefore, it requires repentance. We're big into repentance in the Church. Repent and you are forgiven. Thus, individual Catholics can - through a personal relationship with God - be forgiven for using it.

One of the best things about being a Catholic.... we know where we stand with our faith. The Church does not shift positions to suit the world, it is what it is. One accepts the faith and lives by it, or one does not.

Humanae Vitae

And, it's forgivable. It does not cast one into Hell for eternity. Certain sins do cast one into Hell.... but not contraception. Just the way it is.

However, you were right. I was not paying significant attention and I did misspeak... it's a mortal sin.... therefore, it requires repentance. We're big into repentance in the Church. Repent and you are forgiven. Thus, individual Catholics can - through a personal relationship with God - be forgiven for using it.

One of the best things about being a Catholic.... we know where we stand with our faith. The Church does not shift positions to suit the world, it is what it is. One accepts the faith and lives by it, or one does not.
The only sin I thought that got you on the express train to Hell was blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. It's been a while, as I said, but as a kid I was always afraid of lightening striking at the time I used His name in vain.

Anyway, I thought the other stuff got you into Purgatory, with cumulative time for sins. So, you had to depend on the Communion of the Holy Saints for a ticket out of there.

Anyway, my flashbacks are not always accurate, for sure.

Humanae Vitae

All sins are forgivable, even murder.

That the Catholic church puts birth control in the mortal sin category is laughable.

The Church does not believe that the individual can make their own decisions regarding contraceptives....please quit repeating that as it simply isn't true.

Humanae Vitae

The only sin I thought that got you on the express train to Hell was blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. It's been a while, as I said, but as a kid I was always afraid of lightening striking at the time I used His name in vain.

Anyway, I thought the other stuff got you into Purgatory, with cumulative time for sins. So, you had to depend on the Communion of the Holy Saints for a ticket out of there.

People really don't understand Catholicism at all.... from all the crap that gets posted about it on here.

It's actually pretty damned hard to get an express ride to Hell... Jesus said "whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin." (Mark, 3:29)... so yea, that's a biggie.

Venial sins are ones that do not require time in Purgatory... Mortal ones.... you gotta do some time, unless one repents before dying... it's all very tricky.... but it makes life as a Catholic interesting. :lol::lol:

Humanae Vitae

People really don't understand Catholicism at all.... from all the crap that gets posted about it on here.

It's actually pretty damned hard to get an express ride to Hell... Jesus said "whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin." (Mark, 3:29)... so yea, that's a biggie.

Venial sins are ones that do not require time in Purgatory... Mortal ones.... you gotta do some time, unless one repents before dying... it's all very tricky.... but it makes life as a Catholic interesting. :lol::lol:
:lol: Yup. I remember that there were a lot of rules and details. I remembered what I had to for the time, then practiced it cuz I had to, then when Mom and Dad gave me a choice, I was outta there. Then I forgot most of it - data dump.

No offense. :lol: Just not for me.

Forum List

Back