Avoid Culture Wars, Concentrate On Size of Gov't

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Good advice if these folks want to be reelected:

Tea party groups push GOP to quit culture wars, focus on deficit - CSMonitor.com

The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
Tea Party Tally
Tea party groups push GOP to quit culture wars, focus on deficit

In a letter to Republican leaders, tea party members advise the GOP to avoid culture-war social issues such as gay rights and abortion and to focus on reducing deficit and role of government.

By Patrik Jonsson, Staff writer
posted November 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm EST

Representatives of the loosely organized tea party movement urged GOP leaders in a letter released Monday to abandon their fronts in the culture wars – issues such as gay marriage, school prayer, and abortion – and instead focus their new electoral power on individual liberties and "economic freedoms."

The letter, signed by 16 tea party groups and a conservative gay organization, points to an emerging rift between the tea party movement and the GOP, which still counts social conservatives seeking "moral government" as a key constituency.

The signatories, ranging from conservative commentator Tammy Bruce to local tea party group leaders, say the key lesson the GOP should draw from the election is that Americans are concerned chiefly about taxes and the size of government, not their neighbors' lifestyle choices or personal decisions.

But the push to quit the culture wars is already meeting resistance from mainstream Republicans, who worry about a rebellion from social conservatives if the party refrains from taking stands on moral issues.

"If the Tea Party wants to remain true to its limited government principles, then it strikes me that the default position would be less government and more personal freedom, whether the issue being dealt with involves economics or so-called 'social issues,' " writes Doug Mataconis on the Outside the Beltway blog. "At some point this unnatural split in the GOP's view on freedom will have to be reconciled."

The letter, sent to presumptive House Speaker John Boehner and Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell, tackles the rift between small-government conservatives and those who might see the Republicans' Election Day victory as a mandate to legislate morality on issues such as gay marriage and abortion....

Cultural wars cant be won in the laws. If you have to pass a law, you've already lost.

Cultural wars can only be won only at an individual level. By choosing different choices and encouraging others to do the same.

The size of government is something we can win through legislation.

In a letter to Republican leaders, tea party members advise the GOP to avoid culture-war social issues such as gay rights and abortion and to focus on reducing deficit and role of government.

What a great idea.

Politico has some on it too:

GOP is urged to avoid social issues - Ben Smith and Byron Tau - POLITICO.com

from the conclusion:

...Polling has shown that Tea Party members hold socially conservative views, but don't consider issues like abortion a top priority. But social conservative grassroots played a key role in a handful of election campaigns, including the ouster of three pro-gay marriage Iowa judges. Exit polls last week also suggested that some gay voters had shifted toward Republican ranks, with about a third of self-identified gays backing Republican House candidates.

Barron and the tea party organizers behind the letter hope to get other tea party groups to sign on after the formal unveiling Monday.

"We're not talking about pushing social conservatives out of the tea party movement. Those people aren't only welcome but they're a critical part of this movement." said Barron.

But ideas like the one Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) floated about banning gay teachers run counter to the tea party ethos, Barron argues. "How is that limited government?" he said. :clap2:

The alliance underscores many of the tensions and divisions in the freewheeling, leaderless tea party movement. While GOProud is ambivalent on the issue of same-sex marriage, it does openly advocate the repeal of the military's"Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy - something some of the letter's tea party signatories disagreed strongly with.

Tea Party Patriots Maine coordinator Andrew Ian Dodge said that pushing DADT repeal would be a distraction from fiscal issues like deregulation and lowering taxes and he hopes that the letter also reminds GOProud of this fact.

"It is a little bit of a distraction," said Dodge about the possible repeal of DADT. "Why divide our forces?"

Ultimately, the tea party forces sympathetic to the GOProud letter said they just want to focus on fiscal issues, even if they personally hold socially conservative views.

Letter signatory Everett Wilkinson, coordinator of the Florida Tea Party Patriots, said that his group encourages people interested in social issues to find an outlet for their passions - just not the Tea Party Patriots.

"We really don't focus on any social issues," he said.

Read more: GOP is urged to avoid social issues - Ben Smith and Byron Tau - POLITICO.com

What the teaparty really needs to focus on is how Wall St. co-opted Obama and resist being co-opted by them.
Doubt it'll happen tho', cause future campaign donations will feel sooooooooo goooooood!

What the teaparty really needs to focus on is how Wall St. co-opted Obama and resist being co-opted by them.
Doubt it'll happen tho', cause future campaign donations will feel sooooooooo goooooood!

The "Tea Party" idea was co-opted by wall street big money before most people ever heard of it.

The "Tea Party" idea was co-opted by wall street big money before most people ever heard of it.

The tea parties were not co-opted, nor were they an astroturf movement, as time has told you naysayers.

If the elected members of Congress listen to the people, they won't need all that Goldman Sachs money, they will get what they need.

Another issue that bothers the tea parties, imo not the largest problem out there, but certainly emblematic of the problems in DC., earmarks:

Warnings to the Republicans on those too:

Coburn: Earmark-Supporting Republicans Should Worry About Primary Challengers | The Weekly Standard

Coburn: Earmark-Supporting Republicans Should Worry About Primary Challengers
Earmark debate pits Coburn against Inhofe.
John McCormack
November 15, 2010 9:48 AM

The proposed earmark moratorium that the Republican Senate caucus will vote on tomorrow has pitted Oklahoma's two conservative senators against one another. "Republicans can send a signal that they get it," earmark opponent Tom Coburn tells THE WEEKLY STANDARD. "Or they can send a signal that they continue to not get it and say they're not going to change. And if they do that, they're going to pay for it at the ballot box."

Should Republicans who oppose the moratorium be worried about a primary challenge? "You bet," says Coburn. "They sure should."

"If you can't fix earmarks, you're never going to fix the other problems that are wrong with this country."

Seems some in leadership get it:

Power Line - Elections (past and future) have consequences

Elections have consequences
Share Share Post Print
November 15, 2010 Posted by Paul at 2:50 PM

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has announced that he now supports a ban on earmarks. As recently as last week, McConnell reportedly was quietly campaigning against such a ban. Moreover, McConnell has built his political career in part on earmarks. According to Politico, he secured $113 million from 58 earmarks last year, and during his closely contested 2008 re-election campaign McConnell touted his ability to deliver projects to Kentucky.

McConnell isn't exactly apologizing for earmarks past. He explained his change in position this way:

[insert]What I've concluded is that on the issue of congressional earmarks, as the leader of my party in the Senate, I have to lead first by example. Nearly every day that the Senate's been in session for the past two years, I have come down to this spot and said that Democrats are ignoring the wishes of the American people. When it comes to earmarks, I won't be guilty of the same thing.[/insert]

Behind this principled sounding explanation lie solid pragmatic considerations. For one thing, McConnell presumably does not wish to face, or see members of caucus face, strong Tea Party opposition in primaries over the next few cycles.

What a great idea.

Indeed. Let the Statists fester and die on the culture front. The cult of personality is a losing issue for anyone that engages in it.

There are larger problems that face this Republic.

How ironic that the teaparty was nationally announced by a TV financial commentator with a background of cheering stock traders. :smoke:

How ironic that the teaparty was nationally announced by a TV financial commentator with a background of cheering stock traders. :smoke:

The problem with anyone who tries to become a TEA Party leader or with anyone who wants to anoint one is that there is no leader and the movement is not organized enough to be a party.

There are a bunch of people, and I'm one of them, who are watching what the Congress is doing and who are pretty pissed off at what they've done in the past.

I don't know of a leader of the TEA Party. I do know that i voted for a group of candidates and most of them won. If they let me down, I'm voting a different bunch next time and so it will go.

For years the people who Self identify as TEA partiers have been "Mad as hell" and we finally "Aren't going to take it anymore". I think that many in Congress got the message. I think many others did not.

We did not finish, but we got started. We will just keep on working to git'r'done!

As Churchill said, "It's not the end. It's not even the beginning of the end. But it is the end of the beginning."

Those who misread the importance of and the meaning of the vote just taken do so at their political career's peril.

Forum List

Back