Avis sued because they discriminated on basis of sexual preference

Okay, so its a straight person, not a member of any gay groups, who didn't get a discount. Big deal.

Isn't this just like someone getting a discount because they are a member of, say, a certain insurance company? I don't see the issue.

Okay, so its a straight person, not a member of any gay groups, who didn't get a discount. Big deal.

Isn't this just like someone getting a discount because they are a member of, say, a certain insurance company? I don't see the issue.

The Unruh Act in California prohibits discrimination on the basis of religion, sex, sexual orientation, politics, and a bunch of other things, of any kind in California, which makes this a big deal. Avis will either settle or lose.

The Unruh Act in California prohibits discrimination on the basis of religion, sex, sexual orientation, politics, and a bunch of other things, of any kind in California, which makes this a big deal. Avis will either settle or lose.

Except no one is being "discriminated" against because they're not gay - they're being "discriminated" because they're not a member of an organization partnered with Avis.

Except no one is being "discriminated" against because they're not gay - they're being "discriminated" because they're not a member of an organization partnered with Avis.

Except that the court, which actually understands the law, disagrees.

The fact that they didn't dismiss the case outright doesn't mean that they've decided in favor of the plaintiff.

Am I being "discriminated" against because an airline doesn't let me fly for free, like it does for Medal of Honor recipients?

I agree.

It would be one thing if they simply gave gay people a better price, however that's not what they are doing. I rent a car, I don't get the AARP discount because I'm not an AARP member, that doesn't mean I'm being discrimnated agaisnt.

The fact that they didn't dismiss the case outright doesn't mean that they've decided in favor of the plaintiff.

Am I being "discriminated" against because an airline doesn't let me fly for free, like it does for Medal of Honor recipients?

The reason they did not dismiss the case is that the actions of Avis amounts to discrimination under California law. That point was actually brought out in the blog I linked to, which you obviously did not read, thus proving me right in the statement I made in the OP about people not reading the link before they replied.

I agree.

It would be one thing if they simply gave gay people a better price, however that's not what they are doing. I rent a car, I don't get the AARP discount because I'm not an AARP member, that doesn't mean I'm being discrimnated agaisnt.

Another person that did not read the OP link. In order for that argument to stand up under California law membership in those groups would have to be open to non LGBT people.

Let me make it easier for you since clicking on a link is too hard.

The salient allegation of the Complaint is that AVIS charged Plaintiff more money for her car rental than it would have charged Plaintiff if Plaintiff had been a member of the favored gay and lesbian groups. This is sufficient to plausibly allege a violation of [the Unruh Civil Rights Act]....

If this woman had been a member of the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce - and straight - would she have gotten the discount?

What makes you think the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce allows straight people to join? Are there white people in the Congressional Black Caucus?

I agree.

Another person that did not read the OP link. In order for that argument to stand up under California law membership in those groups would have to be open to non LGBT people.
If those groups in question are NOT open to non-LGBT people, then that would violate the Unruh Act.

The salient allegation of the Complaint is that AVIS charged Plaintiff more money for her car rental than it would have charged Plaintiff if Plaintiff had been a member of the favored gay and lesbian groups. This is sufficient t plausibly allege a violation of [the Unruh Civil Rights Act]....

Perhaps it is "sufficient" to "plausibly allege" a violation.

As far as I can see, not enough to "prove" it, though.

If this woman had been a member of the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce - and straight - would she have gotten the discount?

What makes you think the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce allows straight people to join? Are there white people in the Congressional Black Caucus?

It would violate the Unruh Act if they didn't allow straight people to join.

I'm straight, and I'm a member of the Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club.

The issue is AVIS is likely ignorant of California law.

From the decision:

California Civil Code § 52(a) “creates a private right of action against anyone who ‘denies, aids or incites a denial, or makes any discrimination or distinction contrary to Section 51.’” Stevens v. Optimum Health Inst., 810 F. Supp. 2d 1074, 1085 (S.D. Cal. 2011) (Hayes, J.). The California Supreme Court has made it clear that a customer does not have to make an express demand for equal treatment in order for a business to violate the Act. Angelucci v. Century Supper Club, 41 Cal. 4th 160, 164 (2007) (concluding that a valid claim for relief under the Unruh Act does not require “customers who are discriminated against when they present themselves at a business establishment and pay the price of admission [to] also [] demand equal treatment and be refused”). Finally, the Act must be construed liberally to carry out its purpose of creating and preserving a nondiscriminatory environment in California business establishments.

http://ia600809.us.archive.org/34/items/gov.uscourts.casd.373518/gov.uscourts.casd.373518.19.0.pdf

I agree.

The salient allegation of the Complaint is that AVIS charged Plaintiff more money for her car rental than it would have charged Plaintiff if Plaintiff had been a member of the favored gay and lesbian groups. This is sufficient to plausibly allege a violation of [the Unruh Civil Rights Act]....

Membership to those groups aren't open to the public?:confused:

The question is do homosexuals who are not members of the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association and the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce still get a discount? If that answer is no, then I see no problem with the policy nor do I see this as a violation of the Unruh Act.

Okay, I just read the blog twice. It seems pretty dang simple.

Quote: "...at that time AVIS gave large price discounts to members of two groups: the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association and the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce."

Quote: "Plaintiff is not a member of either group."

If you're not a member of " the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association and the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce" then you don't receive the discount, easy as that. Really simple stuff.

If you're saying that its discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation because in order to receive the discount through being affiliated with the aforementioned groups you'd have to be of a certain sexual orientation then in that case wouldn't the blame be put on the groups themselves, and not the rental company? If that is indeed the case, I would think it'd be odd to make a case against an all-gay organization on the basis that said organization discriminates against heterosexuals because it only accepts members of homosexual orientation.

In fact, not only would it be odd but impossible. If I understand California’s Unruh Civil Rights Act correctly, the act only applies to businesses, and in this case the business is not discriminating.

I agree.

Big deal. If I went to an insurance company other than the one I am a member of, I would have been charged more. Does that mean the other companies are discriminating against me? Of course not.

Forum List

Back