Avian Flu?? Should we be Worried??

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Bonnie, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    This article has been cited by other articles:

Rudneva, I. A., Ilyushina, N. A., Timofeeva, T. A., Webster, R. G., Kaverin, N. V. (2005). Restoration of virulence of escape mutants of H5 and H9 influenza viruses by their readaptation to mice. J Gen Virol 86: 2831-2838 [Abstract] [Full Text]
    Sturm-Ramirez, K. M., Ellis, T., Bousfield, B., Bissett, L., Dyrting, K., Rehg, J. E., Poon, L., Guan, Y., Peiris, M., Webster, R. G. (2004). Reemerging H5N1 Influenza Viruses in Hong Kong in 2002 Are Highly Pathogenic to Ducks. J. Virol. 78: 4892-4901 [Abstract] [Full Text]

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conte...oken=ef97cd1bf342043ba4fe821e4be2f4bd6a794f1f

Avian flu virus could evolve into dangerous human pathogen, experts fear

Fiona Fleck

Geneva

http://www.who.int/csr/don/en/

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0042-96862004000300023&lng=es&nrm=iso

2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    In almost every case in the past it happens that the disease loses substance when it mutates enough to be passed human-to-human rather than only from contact with an infected animal.

It is likely that once it happens this one would be the same. We cannot build an effective treatment for it until it does and therefore worrying about it is worrying about what you cannot change or prevent.

3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Agreed, but I wonder why the sudden worry here over this?? What has changed to cause this??

4. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    My wife works in public health and she says worry, it will be here by November or December.

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Are you serious?? :eek:

6. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

Where in public health does your wife work? The hosp. where I work and the hosp. where my husband works have yet to say anything about it. No internal e-mails or notices have been sent.

I'll probably keep up on reading about this, but last year the flu was supposed to be terrible with vaccine shortages around the country and it turned out to be hype.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Nuc is probably fairly accurate, it's getting closer. Turkey confirmed flu present in birds and bans have been issued on poulty, live birds and feather exports. Romania hasn't confirmed that avian flu killed a few ducks, but they have destroyed over a thousand domestic birds while supposedly waiting for test results. Weather it can be passed from person to person is yet to be seen, but it can be passed from bird to person and with it's rapid spread and current human death toll, it is something to worry about.

9. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    She works with vector borne viruses. There's no way to know for sure but with the way people/birds move around the globe via air travel there are few barriers. For example, West Nile came here in an infected bird. Besides the birds that are known to travel (pets), there are stowaways on these planes.