AVG-JOE's Thread on Politics - Check your insult arsenal at the door before entering.

i disagree, it should be transparent for all to see and know. We have every right to know who financially supports the candidates....and is paying for the candidate's campaign. If they only want a private vote, then don't give millions to the candidate, money talks and we have a right to know who may be funding the candidate's run and what they expect in return so we can be well informed and know how to vote.

So your right to know trumps my right to privacy. How do you feel about union votes where your decision is made public? What do you think about cases where people or companies are harassed and intimidated based on their support for a candidate, party, or PAC? There are cases of companies withdrawing their support due to retaliation by the other side. You okay with that? Whre does your right to know stop? Where does my right to privacy end? It's a slippery slope I think.
no one knows how anyone votes but in the person voting....i can say and support obama if i wanted to, but then vote for romney behind the curtain....so ones vote is private, and always will be.

I personally do not believe the supreme court made the right decision on equating money with free speech...

Does that mean that those without any money do not have any free speech?

or does that mean those with money can be heard MORE than those without money, and is this really =equality or does it represent equality in choosing representation of government? I dunno? I'm leaning towards it not....

The other side of the coin: shouldn't I be able to support a candidate or party without it becoming news to all? Suppose some goons show up at my house and harass or intimidate me or my family, cuz they found out I supported someone they don't like? Wasn't there a story about this in Wisconsin, where somebody told your neighbors who you supported?

Sure, what they're doing is illegal, but it was made possible by the lack of privacy, which I think oughta be my right. At what point is my freedom to choose interfered with? My rights are reduced cuz you wanna know who paid for an ad? I don't wanna go down that road, even if it means the rich guys can donate anonymously to a super PAC. Does it matter that much, do we not already know what a super PAC is? Does not the other side immediately counter whatever was said?

Frankly, I give people more credit than to assume they'll blindly believe whatever they see in a political ad. I sure as hell don't, I don't even watch and I turn off the sound. Interestingly, again in Wisconsin exit results showed that most people had already decided long before the vote took place. Most of the money spent by whoever didn't really mean much.

So your right to know trumps my right to privacy. How do you feel about union votes where your decision is made public? What do you think about cases where people or companies are harassed and intimidated based on their support for a candidate, party, or PAC? There are cases of companies withdrawing their support due to retaliation by the other side. You okay with that? Whre does your right to know stop? Where does my right to privacy end? It's a slippery slope I think.
no one knows how anyone votes but in the person voting....i can say and support obama if i wanted to, but then vote for romney behind the curtain....so ones vote is private, and always will be.

I personally do not believe the supreme court made the right decision on equating money with free speech...

Does that mean that those without any money do not have any free speech?

or does that mean those with money can be heard MORE than those without money, and is this really =equality or does it represent equality in choosing representation of government? I dunno? I'm leaning towards it not....

The other side of the coin: shouldn't I be able to support a candidate or party without it becoming news to all? Suppose some goons show up at my house and harass or intimidate me or my family, cuz they found out I supported someone they don't like? Wasn't there a story about this in Wisconsin, where somebody told your neighbors who you supported?

Sure, what they're doing is illegal, but it was made possible by the lack of privacy, which I think oughta be my right. At what point is my freedom to choose interfered with? My rights are reduced cuz you wanna know who paid for an ad? I don't wanna go down that road, even if it means the rich guys can donate anonymously to a super PAC. Does it matter that much, do we not already know what a super PAC is? Does not the other side immediately counter whatever was said?

Frankly, I give people more credit than to assume they'll blindly believe whatever they see in a political ad. I sure as hell don't, I don't even watch and I turn off the sound. Interestingly, again in Wisconsin exit results showed that most people had already decided long before the vote took place. Most of the money spent by whoever didn't really mean much.
Advertising works, or it wouldn't be done...trust me on that....it is a very expensive venture and it's not done for 'no reason'....it's where most of the money for campaigns is spent.

I don't believe your address is free public information, as far as I know?

It is the law right now, for you to be identified and making certain you don't go over what the legal limit is for donations by individuals....which is constitutional according to the SC.

I don't know nothin' about wisconsin, I paid attention way back when it was all happening about a nano day....I felt strongly that the whole thing was a State issue and none of my concern and I only have so much room in my brain for all of this negative political stuff without it harming me, so I Chose to not follow it! ;)

So what are pacs? why don't these people just donate the legal limit for their candidate or party as an individual like all the rest of us do, if we choose?

and do you seriously believe that someone donating 100 or more GRAND to a candidate/party, (or PAC that is supporting a candidate through the back door,) is doing this for nothing? BIG MONEY corrupts as far as I am concerned when it involves elections...and it be silly to think otherwise...and maybe I've been soured through life on this issue, but I've seen it one too many times....in politics....and yes, on both sides of the aisle.

Fair warning up front: Posts in this thread with insults will be deleted. All political topics and discussion welcome, think of this thread as a political coffee shop for grown-ups.

Step 1 in any lasting stability in our economy is fair and simple taxes. Addressing government spending before we settle on a fair way to collect government revenues is a waste of time and resources.

Step 1.1 is transparency in politics - it's time that responsibility for ALL political advertising be assumed by a living human or board of living humans as it is aired. There's nothing wrong with unlimited spending in politics, as long as all ads are signed by their promoters.

Discuss.
Or post a new political topic.​
Just remember not to call another member an idiot or a liar simply because they disagree with you.

is this a moderator thread or a poster thread.

either way, this "nice" thing is really inappropriate, hon.

Fair warning up front: Posts in this thread with insults will be deleted. All political topics and discussion welcome, think of this thread as a political coffee shop for grown-ups.

Step 1 in any lasting stability in our economy is fair and simple taxes. Addressing government spending before we settle on a fair way to collect government revenues is a waste of time and resources.

Step 1.1 is transparency in politics - it's time that responsibility for ALL political advertising be assumed by a living human or board of living humans as it is aired. There's nothing wrong with unlimited spending in politics, as long as all ads are signed by their promoters.

Discuss.
Or post a new political topic.​
Just remember not to call another member an idiot or a liar simply because they disagree with you.
Well, I guess it's worth it.

Idiot.

I wish could have such privileges as a poster. How nice that YOU do. Some posters are officially better than others.

:rolleyes:

If we really want to reform the system we will go back to the COnstitution as it was in 1800. Yeah, all of it.

As for reality: yes taxes need to be fair and simple. Multiple tax brackets is not fair and simple. Mortgage deductions are not fair and simple. Charitable deductions are not fair and simple. Get rid of all of it. One tax rate for everyone regardless of how much you made or how you made it.
Spending needs to be capped at some percentage of GDP. About a gazillion gov't programs, many overlapping, most ineffective, need to be deep sixed.

so you can have slaves again?

I'll do my best to respond to this statement without getting that response deleted.

What kind of ________ statement is this?? Are you really so __________ as to think anyone wants to re-institute the abomination that was slavery? It is this kind of ridiculous ____________ that causes honest debate to be stifled.

Moonglow, you really should be ashamed of yourself.

Forum List

Back