AVG-HOLSTER Design

I have never understood the point of a concealed gun. If i am packing heat, which is seldom, I want people to see it as a deterrent. of course, I live in AZ where we have 75 MM cannons in our car grills.
O/C is a disadvantage since by and large only 10% of the population is armed on the streets. Therefore if any thugs see your firearm they may be tempted to grab it from you.

C/C is also more discrete.

I don't want people to know I am armed until I draw and aim at them.

Why not make the plastic padded piece a little smaller?
If anything make it LARGER from the top of your butt to the bottom of your shoulders.

Then you would be less likely to break your spine if you fall backwards because the shock and energy of the fall is spread over a larger area.

Why at the small of your back? What's the advantage over a traditional IWB side-mount...or a shoulder holster for that matter?
There are a half dozen positions for a waist mount from 12 oclock (under your belly button), 1 oclock to 2 oclcock (appendix right side or pancreas left side), 3 oclock (hip), 4 oclock (behind hip), 5 oclock (way back) and 6 oclock (small of the back just over the butt bone).

Most people with mouse guns use an inside-the-belt 12 oclock mount under the belly button. That is the fastest draw for a mouse gun.

For a full sized gun you need to go either 3 oclock, 4 oclock, or shoulder holster (like me).

I prefer a shoulder holster but...
A shoulder holster is difficult in hot weather. I opt for a .380 in the summer because I can conceal it pretty much anywhere.
It may lack knock down power but in 99% of cases when you start shooting back they haul ass anyway.

After fruitlessly searching the internet for a safe, comfortable way to carry my gun concealed at the small of my back, I came up with a holster of my own design.

And yes, in case you're wondering, I do have permission from The People of The Great State of Florida to carry a concealed weapon.

The big bump in your back is a dead giveaway that you are carrying concealed.

In a state that forbids imprinting you would get cited by the cops.

And any thug, Negro, etc. who wants your gun is just going to work his way behind you and grab it and shoot you with it.

A shoulder holster is difficult in hot weather. I opt for a .380 in the summer because I can conceal it pretty much anywhere.
It may lack knock down power but in 99% of cases when you start shooting back they haul ass anyway.
I may get a 380 for jogging. That's the only time I don't have my full sized 45ACP with me.

For summertime, I wear my shoulder holster over my undershirt and under my polo shirt with a windbreaker over that. Warm yes, but I like having my full sized 45ACP with me and 40 rounds of ammo.

It feels kind of like wearing a lumbar support, but since it's clipped to the belt and not held with elastic around the belly, it's easier to breathe.

Every other holster I tried felt like a fist digging in to my spine or kidney, depending on where on the belt it was placed. My design spreads the load evenly.
The main disadvantage of 6 oclock (small of your back) is that if you fall backwards it will break your spine in half and you will be paralyzed from the waist down.

Not really. Now falling on your back and having an assailant on your chest ala George Zimmermen and TrayGone is a concern.
Yes really. Mexican carry (6 oclock) is dangerous for you.

Is your spine made of paper mache? You'd have to take a serious fall for it to break your spine. If that happened you'd be very unlikely to be able to pull your weapon anyway.

It feels kind of like wearing a lumbar support, but since it's clipped to the belt and not held with elastic around the belly, it's easier to breathe.

Every other holster I tried felt like a fist digging in to my spine or kidney, depending on where on the belt it was placed. My design spreads the load evenly.
The main disadvantage of 6 oclock (small of your back) is that if you fall backwards it will break your spine in half and you will be paralyzed from the waist down.

Not really. Now falling on your back and having an assailant on your chest ala George Zimmermen and TrayGone is a concern.

Is your spine made of paper mache? You'd have to take a serious fall for it to break your spine. If that happened you'd be very unlikely to be able to pull your weapon anyway.
Yah I'm talking about a serious fall -- such as when somebody tackles you in a bar fight.

Gun fight, bar fight, samee same G/I.

I may get a 380 for jogging. That's the only time I don't have my full sized 45ACP with me.

For summertime, I wear my shoulder holster over my undershirt and under my polo shirt with a windbreaker over that. Warm yes, but I like having my full sized 45ACP with me and 40 rounds of ammo.

Where do you live that you can where an undershirt and a polo?
In Houston thats a no go unless you want heat stroke.

Yah I'm talking about a serious fall -- such as when somebody tackles you in a bar fight.

Gun fight, bar fight, samee same G/I.

I wouldnt wear my pistol in the twelve but Joes set up would prevent any chance of spinal damage with the impact being spread over a large area.

I always wear an undershirt and a polo shirt.

If it is really hot out then I soak the polo in water and wring it out -- instant A/C !!

Just think outside the box.

My summer winter pistols.
upload_2016-11-26_19-53-13.png

When it's 98 degrees I where a wife beater or a thin cotton button up. The .380 will fit in my shirt pocket or my shorts pocket.

I always wear an undershirt and a polo shirt.

If it is really hot out then I soak the polo in water and wring it out -- instant A/C !!

Just think outside the box.

Oh come on. You wear a wet shirt when you get in your vehicle?

I have never understood the point of a concealed gun. If i am packing heat, which is seldom, I want people to see it as a deterrent. of course, I live in AZ where we have 75 MM cannons in our car grills.
O/C is a disadvantage since by and large only 10% of the population is armed on the streets. Therefore if any thugs see your firearm they may be tempted to grab it from you.

In Florida, it's the law. Keeping it concealed is step one in maintaining your concealed carry permit.

In Florida, it's the law. Keeping it concealed is step one in maintaining your concealed carry permit.

Open carry is stupid anyway.

If anything make it LARGER from the top of your butt to the bottom of your shoulders.

Then you would be less likely to break your spine if you fall backwards because the shock and energy of the fall is spread over a larger area.

That's the general idea. Between the hard plastic base and the foam pad, I'm not too worried about falling backwards.

Besides... this is just my preferred carry method. I'm tolerant enough to let everyone who wants to carry, carry however they damn well please.

The best thing about being an American is understanding the concept that one size does NOT fit all.

That's the general idea. Between the hard plastic base and the foam pad, I'm not too worried about falling backwards.

Besides... this is just my preferred carry method. I'm tolerant enough to let everyone who wants to carry, carry however they damn well please.

The best thing about being an American is understanding the concept that one size does NOT fit all.

While I understand your reasoning the only fault I can see other than heat is if you end up like George Zimmerman with your assailant on your chest.

The big bump in your back is a dead giveaway that you are carrying concealed.

In a state that forbids imprinting you would get cited by the cops.

And any thug, Negro, etc. who wants your gun is just going to work his way behind you and grab it and shoot you with it.

All I can tell you is... so far so good. I've been carrying a big gun in the small of my back for a while now, in lots of different places, with zero issues.

NOTHING in this life has a perfect solution. That's why we like living in a land where we can choose methods that we find to be the best for us and deal with the consequences.

While I understand your reasoning the only fault I can see other than heat is if you end up like George Zimmerman with your assailant on your chest.

Personal preferences, situational awareness and training, brother. Draw your weapon BEFORE someone ends up on your chest and you'll stand a fighting chance.

Personal preferences, situational awareness and training, brother. Draw your weapon BEFORE someone ends up on your chest and you'll stand a fighting chance.

In the majority of cases your solution is just fine.
In an unexpected assault you might have a problem but I agree that it's unlikely your method of carry will result in a problem.

Here are the photos...

4609-1480193063-0b6bdb9c50d5389a4d21deaa6c504c16.png
4610-1480193064-cca5107a6fc7ae8cbc4776c725e710cb.png

4611-1480193066-c7cd1876d9169c3c821b68a0cd4494a1.png
4612-1480193069-3743257f774595fccad3cdaf10dc0427.png

The base is a fairly rigid ultrahigh molecular weight plastic that curves to fit my waistline, the shell is Kydex, molded to fit my gun and purchased as is, the belt clips are open nylon, so donning the holster is just a matter of opening my jeans and clipping it on my belt while holding it centered. Finding the right plastic for the base was the hardest part of crafting it.
Wow ,,,watching the video I didn't notice the backboard. Quite the getup.....Seems like a marketable idea.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back