AVG-HOLSTER Design

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
After fruitlessly searching the internet for a safe, comfortable way to carry my gun concealed at the small of my back, I came up with a holster of my own design.

And yes, in case you're wondering, I do have permission from The People of The Great State of Florida to carry a concealed weapon.

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding a holster for mine.

Worlds-Largest-Super-Flask.gif

Why at the small of your back? What's the advantage over a traditional IWB side-mount...or a shoulder holster for that matter?

Some pics sounds like a good idea... I'll take and post some later.

The reason for a small of the back carry for me is both concealment and comfort. Regular inside the waistband holsters are terribly uncomfortable when sitting, especially with a full-size weapon. With the holster I created, Ive got no problem sitting, even driving feels like I'm just wearing a back brace.

Shoulder holsters are as impractical in Florida as the suit jackets required to conceal them. With my holster I can conceal my full-size Ruger SR9 with just a Hawaiian shirt or even a loose fitting knit shirt. The patterns in a Hawaiian style shirt help with the concealment, and that's been my wardrobe since moving here any way.

Here are the photos...

4609-1480193063-0b6bdb9c50d5389a4d21deaa6c504c16.png
4610-1480193064-cca5107a6fc7ae8cbc4776c725e710cb.png

4611-1480193066-c7cd1876d9169c3c821b68a0cd4494a1.png
4612-1480193069-3743257f774595fccad3cdaf10dc0427.png

The base is a fairly rigid ultrahigh molecular weight plastic that curves to fit my waistline, the shell is Kydex, molded to fit my gun and purchased as is, the belt clips are open nylon, so donning the holster is just a matter of opening my jeans and clipping it on my belt while holding it centered. Finding the right plastic for the base was the hardest part of crafting it.

The four black screws in the corners hold a removable foam and cotton pad that's machine washable.

That's important here in Florida, especially in the summer.

I tried several different sizes. I found that the larger the base, the more likely it was to be comfortable to wear while sitting for long periods. Obviously to a point... the reason the corners are trimmed up on top is to keep them from showing through my shirt while I'm moving about.

A smaller base would most likely work with a smaller, thinner gun, but I want to carry a full size weapon that fits my hand, and I want to spread the load pressing into my back over as wide an area as possible. The one pictured was built for me... the width is the same as my back. If I were to make one of these for someone with a smaller waist and back, a slightly smaller base would be inevitable.

The reason for a small of the back carry for me is both concealment and comfort.

Fascinating. I have to say, I would be concerned about feeling like I had a lumbar support going, especially when sitting. What's that like?

It feels kind of like wearing a lumbar support, but since it's clipped to the belt and not held with elastic around the belly, it's easier to breathe.

Every other holster I tried felt like a fist digging in to my spine or kidney, depending on where on the belt it was placed. My design spreads the load evenly.

It feels kind of like wearing a lumbar support, but since it's clipped to the belt and not held with elastic around the belly, it's easier to breathe.

Every other holster I tried felt like a fist digging in to my spine or kidney, depending on where on the belt it was placed. My design spreads the load evenly.

I can definitely see the advantage and it would be really good for yankees and cold weather carry.

After the same dilemma I have gone to a Mountain Mike's large pistol shoulder holster.

Very good concealment under your left arm for the gun, and under your right arm for the spare mag.

Very good protection from anyone grabbing the gun too.

And I can still draw from concealment in about 1 second with it (one-thousand-one).

The main disadvantage of 6 oclock (small of your back) is that if you fall backwards it will break your spine in half and you will be paralyzed from the waist down.

With your base plate I don't know if you have completely solved this problem.

You may just have made it a double break in 2 places.

I have never understood the point of a concealed gun. If i am packing heat, which is seldom, I want people to see it as a deterrent. of course, I live in AZ where we have 75 MM cannons in our car grills.

The main disadvantage of 6 oclock (small of your back) is that if you fall backwards it will break your spine in half and you will be paralyzed from the waist down.

Not really. Now falling on your back and having an assailant on your chest ala George Zimmermen and TrayGone is a concern.

Why at the small of your back? What's the advantage over a traditional IWB side-mount...or a shoulder holster for that matter?
There are a half dozen positions for a waist mount from 12 oclock (under your belly button), 1 oclock to 2 oclcock (appendix right side or pancreas left side), 3 oclock (hip), 4 oclock (behind hip), 5 oclock (way back) and 6 oclock (small of the back just over the butt bone).

Most people with mouse guns use an inside-the-belt 12 oclock mount under the belly button. That is the fastest draw for a mouse gun.

For a full sized gun you need to go either 3 oclock, 4 oclock, or shoulder holster (like me).

Not really. Now falling on your back and having an assailant on your chest ala George Zimmermen and TrayGone is a concern.
Yes really. Mexican carry (6 oclock) is dangerous for you.

Forum List

Back