Average teacher salary VS median income by state

"Depending on a transcript review, and a determination that the Rocket Scientist would be good in the classroom of course, we'd hire a Rocket Scientist in a heartbeat."

:eusa_eh:

Could you be a little more duplicious?

Not trying to be duplicitous at all. Background checks, degree confirmation, and personal interviews - do you not feel employers should verify information provided by someone seeking a job?

Perhaps the phrase, "we'd hire a Rocket Scientist in a heartbeat," was just a tad euphamistic.

OK, I can accept that.

Better would be: "we'd hire a Rocket scientist after scrutinizing him as much as we would any recent graduate from State U College of Education?" But this wouldn't be quite true, would it? The fact is that you'd scrutize him/her MORE than any other candidates with teaching certificates/licensure, and that is my point. You'd force him/her to jump through all sorts of absurd hoops: paying for additional classes like "Classroom Management" and "Adolescent Emotions" and "Society and The School."

Actually we wouldn't force him/her to jump through any more hoops than anyone else. As a matter of fact to start working the person would have to jump through LESS hoops then others. The "others" would have already jumped through those hoops as part of their college teacher prep programs. The individual wouldn't have to pay for any additional classes that other applicants had already taken.

The point is that they have to meet the same qualifications as other applicants, not more. :eusa_angel:

The fact that you would get ANY Engineers to apply, much less being "inundated" is astonishing in light of the barriers to entry public schools have built to obstruct teaching candidates. Pay is actually the least painful of these.

Again I've never said we were "inundated" with Engineers or Scientists as applicants, they are actually very, VERY rarely apply. I may have said that we were "inundated" with applicants, especially during down economic times, who were not qualified to teach. Being inundated with applicants is very different then being inundated with qualified applicants.

One thing I told my kids a few years ago, "your Mom and I will help you through college, but two things: One, you will contribute to your own education, and two the degree field must be employable" If they wanted a degree in sociology or Early European Literature, fine have at it, but you are on your own. Our son is working on an IT degree and my daughter is full ride scholarship as a dual Math/Chemistry major with employment guaranteed after school.

>>>>

Both of you two are arguing back and forth on mute points on my behalf. I can see where you both are coming as being on both sides of the fence. I have always wanted to help others ever since I was in school. Because of that I went pre-med at CALU, and graduated with honors. Once I finished my undergrad degree I started to volunteer with kids and have since pursued a teaching career. So, when 1 of you argues that there are not enough educated people out there to teach our society and children, I would have to disagree. People do not chose education because of the career outlook (just look at what is goign on in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, or Pennsylvania) or the pay (starting teacher where I live is $32k a year). People chose to become teachers because they love the difference they make on the lives of adolescents. When I hear people argue that teachers 'Make so much, but only work 9 months out of the year', that also makes me realize how little they think we put into everything. Yes I do only clock in 9 months out of the year, but during that 9 months I put about 60 hours in a week. That also doesn't include everything a teacher does over the summer. While some may think that teachers get 3 months off a year, I would just have to argue that if you took our place for a year you would see how much time and effort we put into that.

Both of you two are arguing back and forth on mute points on my behalf. I can see where you both are coming as being on both sides of the fence. I have always wanted to help others ever since I was in school. Because of that I went pre-med at CALU, and graduated with honors. Once I finished my undergrad degree I started to volunteer with kids and have since pursued a teaching career. So, when 1 of you argues that there are not enough educated people out there to teach our society and children, I would have to disagree. People do not chose education because of the career outlook (just look at what is goign on in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, or Pennsylvania) or the pay (starting teacher where I live is $32k a year). People chose to become teachers because they love the difference they make on the lives of adolescents. When I hear people argue that teachers 'Make so much, but only work 9 months out of the year', that also makes me realize how little they think we put into everything. Yes I do only clock in 9 months out of the year, but during that 9 months I put about 60 hours in a week. That also doesn't include everything a teacher does over the summer. While some may think that teachers get 3 months off a year, I would just have to argue that if you took our place for a year you would see how much time and effort we put into that.

That's great and I commend you. For you it seems Teaching is actually a calling and a vocation. I hope one day to be able to afford a second vocation of my own (my first was military service). I'd like to bring desalination equipment to poverty stricken areas. As it turns out there is no union I can join, no national association to lobby on my behalf just to help me do that. So I'm going to fund my activities myself. In the meantime I get hear from people where were called to serve, but want a pension.

I'm a bit perplexed, please forgive me.

That's great and I commend you. For you it seems Teaching is actually a calling and a vocation. I hope one day to be able to afford a second vocation of my own (my first was military service). I'd like to bring desalination equipment to poverty stricken areas. As it turns out there is no union I can join, no national association to lobby on my behalf just to help me do that. So I'm going to fund my activities myself. In the meantime I get hear from people where were called to serve, but want a pension.

I'm a bit perplexed, please forgive me.

I'd like to give the world a Coke, and teach it to sing in perfect harmony.

:(

Maybe I should apply for a US Recovery Bill Grant.

Free By 50: Teacher Pay vs Median Incomes by State

What made me start this thread was because on the news, after Gov. Christie talked about New Jersey, they reported that New Jersey had 212 thousand millionaires state wide and 102 thousand teachers.

The average teacher's salary in New Jersey is $58,156.00 while the median state income is $64,070.00. That means teachers make 91% of the median state income.

Here is a list of "starting salaries" by state:

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Starting salary in Wisconsin is a measly $25,000. I had no idea it was that low. 25 grand.

When right wingers point out a teaching job that pays $100,000, it's because they have a Masters and have been teaching for 20 years or they live in an area where the standard of living is that high.

Right wingers chasing teachers out of their areas might have a "silver lining". Liberals areas will have the pick of the best. The best jobs will go to liberals and right wingers can fight with illegal immigrants over who gets to pick the biggest apples and the plumpest strawberries.

Damn dude teachers get hooked up. A 3 month vacatoin in the summer and over 50k/year in compensation....sign me up what an awesome paying job!

Serioiusly are you really trying to say that making over 50k/year for working less than 9 months of the year, while having a full benefits pacakage, is bad compensation? For Real? Don't forget many teachers do the job because they love it, another bonus.

I think its fine that teachers make that much money, sure its more than many americans make, especially if you figure in the vacation time, but their job is important so I dont think the pay needs to be cut....they just need to contribute 50% to their insurance and retirement benefits like everyone else to help the financial burden on every state govt in the union.

Free By 50: Teacher Pay vs Median Incomes by State

What made me start this thread was because on the news, after Gov. Christie talked about New Jersey, they reported that New Jersey had 212 thousand millionaires state wide and 102 thousand teachers.

The average teacher's salary in New Jersey is $58,156.00 while the median state income is $64,070.00. That means teachers make 91% of the median state income.

Here is a list of "starting salaries" by state:

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Starting salary in Wisconsin is a measly $25,000. I had no idea it was that low. 25 grand.

When right wingers point out a teaching job that pays $100,000, it's because they have a Masters and have been teaching for 20 years or they live in an area where the standard of living is that high.

Right wingers chasing teachers out of their areas might have a "silver lining". Liberals areas will have the pick of the best. The best jobs will go to liberals and right wingers can fight with illegal immigrants over who gets to pick the biggest apples and the plumpest strawberries.

Damn dude teachers get hooked up. A 3 month vacatoin in the summer and over 50k/year in compensation....sign me up what an awesome paying job!

Serioiusly are you really trying to say that making over 50k/year for working less than 9 months of the year, while having a full benefits pacakage, is bad compensation? For Real? Don't forget many teachers do the job because they love it, another bonus.

I think its fine that teachers make that much money, sure its more than many americans make, especially if you figure in the vacation time, but their job is important so I dont think the pay needs to be cut....they just need to contribute 50% to their insurance and retirement benefits like everyone else to help the financial burden on every state govt in the union.

Another bonus is they can take ANOTHER JOB during the summer.

Area Superintendents Defend Salaries from Governor Andrew Cuomo’s proposal to cap public school superintendents’ salaries to between $125,000 and $175,000

Overview of superintendent salaries in Patch's Hudson Valley coverage area:
Local School District Superintendent Salary

Ardsley $244,000
Bedford $251,000
Brewster $226,964
Blind Brook *$250,920
Bronxville $279,212
Chappaqua $265,801
Dobbs Ferry $232,532
Eastchester $238,855
Harrison $287,074
Hastings $228,000
Irvington $256,965
Katonah-Lewisboro $274,275
Lakeland $250,000
Mamaroneck $255,000
Nanuet $237,317
New City/Clarkstown $225,000
New Rochelle $263,250
Nyack $237,038
Pearl River *$289,228
Peekskill *$212,226
Pelham $240,000
Rye $253,623
Rye Neck $286,575
Tarrytown $274,120
Tuckahoe $160,000
White Plains $214,200
Yorktown $240,240

Let's be honest here folks, Americans do not respect Teachers, teaching, or education. They only respect overpaid sport's persons who often have no education, and who talk the most stupid nonsense as Kobe demonstrated again this week. Americans worship MONEY and SPORT followed by Corporations who are just ahead of the nonsense on TV.

"Not surprisingly, in a land where literacy and numeracy are considered virtues, teachers are revered. Teenagers ranked teaching at the top of their list of favorite professions in a recent survey. Far more graduates of upper schools in Finland apply for admission to teacher-training institutes than are accepted. The overwhelming majority of those who eventually enter the classroom as a teacher make it a lifelong career, even though they are paid no more than their counterparts in other European countries."

"At the heart of Finland's stellar reputation is a philosophy completely alien to America. The country of 5.3 million in an area twice the size of Missouri considers education an end in itself - not a means to an end. It's a deeply rooted value that is reflected in the Ministry of Education and in all 432 municipalities. In sharp contrast, Americans view education as a stepping stone to better-paying jobs or to impress others. The distinction explains why we are obsessed with marquee names, and how we structure, operate and fund schools." Lessons From Finland: The Way to Education Excellence | CommonDreams.org

Forum List

Back