Average teacher salary VS median income by state

Rdean do you know the difference between average and median? The author in your link does not and your title implies that you don't either.

http://www.bvmarketdata.com/pdf/Median-Mean.pdf

0.61 Middle of sorted sample set
0.61 Median
1.47 Mean (Average)

If you simple took the salaries of everyone in the state, added them together, and divided by the number of people, it would skew the results. You wouldn't really get the salary of the middle of the state.

But for teachers, they are ALL teachers. So it's not that same.

Why does your title say "average" when there is no data that shows average?

Because I included two links to "average" salaries?

Middle class area in Jacksonville, FL. Zip code is 32257, part of an area known as Mandarin, but few properties on the water. No bad areas though.

Median household income: $48,452.00
Florida average teacher salary: $43,302

Pretty good.

Statewide for Florida:

Average salary: $39,386.35

Looks like teachers are doing just fine.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

32257 Zip Code | Jacksonville, Florida | Map & Detailed Profile | Zip Atlas

Last edited:
Free By 50: Teacher Pay vs Median Incomes by State

What made me start this thread was because on the news, after Gov. Christie talked about New Jersey, they reported that New Jersey had 212 thousand millionaires state wide and 102 thousand teachers.

The average teacher's salary in New Jersey is $58,156.00 while the median state income is $64,070.00. That means teachers make 91% of the median state income.

Here is a list of "starting salaries" by state:

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Starting salary in Wisconsin is a measly $25,000. I had no idea it was that low. 25 grand.

When right wingers point out a teaching job that pays $100,000, it's because they have a Masters and have been teaching for 20 years or they live in an area where the standard of living is that high.

Right wingers chasing teachers out of their areas might have a "silver lining". Liberals areas will have the pick of the best. The best jobs will go to liberals and right wingers can fight with illegal immigrants over who gets to pick the biggest apples and the plumpest strawberries.

You are not taking into account the benefits. A 25k job PLUS the benefits is quite a bit more then what you assert. You need to include that into the mix.

And the fact that teachers typically work 36 weeks a year as opposed to 50 for the private sector. ( two weeks vacation included in that ) In 2002 my husband, a music teacher with a master's degree, started teaching at a small coastal town in Oregon and his salary was, $47K a year. Great benefits and many days and weeks for vacation, in addition to those 9 months, off. I think it was about an 8 month work year. Plenty of time for a second job in which he played professionally all over the world and won a Platinum award. :)

So what you are saying is he got 47k for 8 months of work. Not bad. Any idea what the benefits package was worth?

What made me start this thread was because on the news, after Gov. Christie talked about New Jersey, they reported that New Jersey had 212 thousand millionaires state wide and 102 thousand teachers.

The average teacher's salary in New Jersey is $58,156.00 while the median state income is $64,070.00. That means teachers make 91% of the median state income.

Starting salary in Wisconsin is a measly $25,000. I had no idea it was that low. 25 grand.

When right wingers point out a teaching job that pays $100,000, it's because they have a Masters and have been teaching for 20 years or they live in an area where the standard of living is that high.

Right wingers chasing teachers out of their areas might have a "silver lining". Liberals areas will have the pick of the best. The best jobs will go to liberals and right wingers can fight with illegal immigrants over who gets to pick the biggest apples and the plumpest strawberries.

Nice try.

If you bother to check your numbers you will see that teachers, when you compensate for hours worked, get paid more than private sector workers. Additionally, if you compare them to private school teachers, they make $13,540 more than private school teachers, and that is without the benefits.

Average salaries for full-time teachers in public and private elementary and secondary schools, by selected characteristics: 2007-08

So you are taking everything into consideration? Class size? Educational requirements? Starting salary? Continuing education?

The truth is, all you right wingers are arguing why "Teachers are bad people who get too much and don't do anything". You did the SAME DAMN THING with scientists. All the posts about how scientists don't do anything but rest on their education, sit on their fat butts and collect government stipends.

Always looking for someone to point a finger at. Someone to blame. Looking for an accusation. Because that's all you've got. You know it. I know it. It can't be denied.

Not true.

I think teachers are generally paid fairly. If I had my druthers the top performers would make 6 figures and the bottom of those after cutting the poor performers would make a living wage. But on average, they are paid fairly in my opinion. They never get rich on teaching alone, but they also don't have to take any risk.

I know lots of unemployed millionaires. I don't know *any* unemployed teachers. What's the value of a recession proof job?

Here is a very interesting site. It gives median and average salaries by "zip-code".

If you have a single billionaire in the group, average salary zooms up, but that hardly affects "median" income. Teachers "median and average" are probably pretty close to the same. After all, how many millionaires become teachers?

Average Income per Person in the United States by Zip Code

I know 4 of them. Teaching is probably what I'll do when I hit my magic number.

Sure you do.

You asked, I answered, you disregarded my answer. What is this a global warming thread?

http://www.bvmarketdata.com/pdf/Median-Mean.pdf

0.61 Middle of sorted sample set
0.61 Median
1.47 Mean (Average)

If you simple took the salaries of everyone in the state, added them together, and divided by the number of people, it would skew the results. You wouldn't really get the salary of the middle of the state.

But for teachers, they are ALL teachers. So it's not that same.

Why does your title say "average" when there is no data that shows average?

Because I included two links to "average" salaries?

Keep reading.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3379395-post13.html

Middle class area in Jacksonville, FL. Zip code is 32257, part of an area known as Mandarin, but few properties on the water. No bad areas though.

Pretty good.

Statewide for Florida:

Again, those salaries are deceptively..LOW. The sated salary is NOT for 12 months of work and it does NOT include the amount of the benefits package.

You are not taking into account the benefits. A 25k job PLUS the benefits is quite a bit more then what you assert. You need to include that into the mix.

And the fact that teachers typically work 36 weeks a year as opposed to 50 for the private sector. ( two weeks vacation included in that ) In 2002 my husband, a music teacher with a master's degree, started teaching at a small coastal town in Oregon and his salary was, $47K a year. Great benefits and many days and weeks for vacation, in addition to those 9 months, off. I think it was about an 8 month work year. Plenty of time for a second job in which he played professionally all over the world and won a Platinum award. :)

So what you are saying is he got 47k for 8 months of work. Not bad. Any idea what the benefits package was worth?

Noo, wasn't looking at that back then....:lol:

What is the cash value of all combined benefits RD??? :cuckoo:

Nice try.

If you bother to check your numbers you will see that teachers, when you compensate for hours worked, get paid more than private sector workers. Additionally, if you compare them to private school teachers, they make $13,540 more than private school teachers, and that is without the benefits.

Average salaries for full-time teachers in public and private elementary and secondary schools, by selected characteristics: 2007-08

So you are taking everything into consideration? Class size? Educational requirements? Starting salary? Continuing education?

The truth is, all you right wingers are arguing why "Teachers are bad people who get too much and don't do anything". You did the SAME DAMN THING with scientists. All the posts about how scientists don't do anything but rest on their education, sit on their fat butts and collect government stipends.

Always looking for someone to point a finger at. Someone to blame. Looking for an accusation. Because that's all you've got. You know it. I know it. It can't be denied.

Take a look at the site, everything is listed, including education levels, continuing education, and experience. Plus, it is a government site so you can not dismiss it as right wing. Public school teachers outstrip private school teachers across the board. And most private school teachers do not get benefits. On top of that, private schools consistently outstrip public schools in academic performance, graduation rates, college placement, and graduation from advanced studies courses.

I am not saying teachers are bad, I am just pointing out that your insistence that public school teachers are underpaid does not stack up. The facts do not agree with your position, and you are stupid for sticking to it in the face of contrary data. If you cared half as much about science as you claimed you do you would admit that you are wrong, and go on to something else.

Prove to me, and everyone else on the board, that you are not as stupid as you pretend you are. Admit that the data you are relying on is flawed, and examine the data that the government has presented. Think about it, and show you are an adult by admitting that you have been lied to.

Don't be angry at me because I am the first person to insist you look at the truth, be angry at the people who have been lying to you for years.

Pretty good.

Statewide for Florida:

Again, those salaries are deceptively..LOW. The sated salary is NOT for 12 months of work and it does NOT include the amount of the benefits package.

Oh I agree.

I've never met a poor teacher. When some of them bitch about how much education they have and how they aren't rich I always inform them that there are plenty of other places where they can use that education to make more money if they choose.

"But I don't get job security where you work."

"Risk vs. reward. You never learned that in college?"

Pretty good.

Statewide for Florida:

Oh I agree.

I've never met a poor teacher. When some of them bitch about how much education they have and how they aren't rich I always inform them that there are plenty of other places where they can use that education to make more money if they choose.

"But I don't get job security where you work."

"Risk vs. reward. You never learned that in college?"

Exactly. Its a sweet enough deal that they wont leave the job, and fight tooth and nail to keep it the way it is.

Wow people who don't know the difference between mean and median, and when it's more accurate to use them really shouldn't act as if they know anything about business/economics whatsoever.

As a side note Median incomes are used with salaries because it's more accurate as it helps to eliminate inaccurate data due to extremes.

For example, Bill Gates lives in Medina, Washington. The town only has a population 3,000 people (1,100 households). The median income is a little under $134K. If one were to go by the average income-it wouldn't be an accurate measurement of the town, because it would more than likely be much higher than the overwhelming majority salary of the people of the town.

Take a look at the site, everything is listed, including education levels, continuing education, and experience. Plus, it is a government site so you can not dismiss it as right wing. Public school teachers outstrip private school teachers across the board. And most private school teachers do not get benefits.

I don't disagree, but I think if you were to be able to look at demographics and compare marital status, length in career (private v. public schools), certifications, and education you would also find some interesting indicators.

IMHO they would be that more often private school teachers have a working spouse and are not the sole source of family income and medical benefits, they less often make it a "career" as there is less provided for long term financial security and lack of health benefits, that significant percentage are working until they can get a public school job, that many schools do not require certification or comparable education backgrounds.

I mention that because my sister was a private school teacher for about 5 years. Pay was about half of a public school teachers, no benefits, and retirement options. She loved the smaller classes and the kids, but she had no choice but to go public to support herself, make a dent in student loans, and begin to plan for her future.

On top of that, private schools consistently outstrip public schools in academic performance, graduation rates, college placement, and graduation from advanced studies courses.

Correlation though does not equal causation. (Hmmm - did I get that right?)

1. Private schools are not required to take all "comers" like public schools are.

2. Private schools can forgo taking on special education students and their associated higher costs (and typically poorer academic performance).

3. Private schools can screen students for academic performance and reject those that don't meet entrance standards.

4. Private schools can expel students for poor academic performance (artificially raising their record of academic achievement).

5. Private school can require certain levels of parental involvement which contributes to student performance.

Not disagreeing with what you said, just pointing out some other factors.

>>>>

Last edited:
This has been argued a million times before in the last 2 weeks. I think its been established that teachers have it pretty damn good for the most part. I assume there are some pretty crappy districts to teach in. Maybe those teachers should receive hazard pay. Other than that its better then most middle class jobs Id say.

And in Texas, where collective bargaining by teachers is outlawed, the starting salary is $33,000.

Other than your usual point: To publically demonstrate your own intellectual incompetence, was the point of this thread to show how little the teacher's union in WI helps beginning teachers?

Wow people who don't know the difference between mean and median, and when it's more accurate to use them really shouldn't act as if they know anything about business/economics whatsoever.

I think that was directed at me. You should try to get past the first 3 pages of a statistics book. Neither are accurate nor appropriate to be used alone.

As a side note Median incomes are used with salaries because it's more accurate as it helps to eliminate inaccurate data due to extremes.

That's patently false. In a normal distribution the mean equals the median (and the mode, by the way). So when the two are different the only use of the median is as an indicator of whether the distribution is normal or not. If it's not, then other methods to calculate a trend are needed.

For example, Bill Gates lives in Medina, Washington. The town only has a population 3,000 people (1,100 households). The median income is a little under $134K. If one were to go by the average income-it wouldn't be an accurate measurement of the town, because it would more than likely be much higher than the overwhelming majority salary of the people of the town.

Then perhaps a mean of all incomes within one standard deviation might be more accurate. It would be hard to know unless an analysis of variance is done. But please, continue to educate me on the use of statistics. You obviously don't do it for work so perhaps you're one of "those who can't..." type of teachers?

I think that was directed at me. You should try to get past the first 3 pages of a statistics book. Neither are accurate nor appropriate to be used alone.

That's patently false. In a normal distribution the mean equals the median (and the mode, by the way). So when the two are different the only use of the median is as an indicator of whether the distribution is normal or not. If it's not, then other methods to calculate a trend are needed.

Then perhaps a mean of all incomes within one standard deviation might be more accurate. It would be hard to know unless an analysis of variance is done. But please, continue to educate me on the use of statistics. You obviously don't do it for work so perhaps you're one of "those who can't..." type of teachers?

I didn't direct my post towards you, so relax over there. And I never said that median was the most efficient way to compare the salaries together, I simply said on its own it's more efficient than comparing it to just the mean salary on it's own. You're reading too much into my post.

And for the record I have a business degree, and have taken multiple statistics classes, and while I'm no expert on it, I'm familiar with using standard deviations. And no, I'm not a teacher.

-Just for shits and giggles I'd be willing to bet the standard of deviation for a teachers salary compared to the mean would be slightly high (as long as you took the sample from a population of those with 4-year degrees, or more). It wouldn't be extremely high-I'm not saying that, but it wouldn't be as low as some on here would suggest.

And also it would obviously change from state to state, where depending on the economic situation of the state the variance of the data within the sample populations would differ from one another. But with that said I'd be willing to bet the teacher's from most states would still have a pretty high stand deviation from the mean (even if you factor in their benefits as part of their salaries).

Now you may not agree with my opinions on where they would fall on a distribution-and that's ok, but you really shouldn't assume someone isn't familiar with basic statistics (I don't claim to be a whiz at the subject). And don't take posts so personally-as I said it wasn't geared towards you.

edit: and a normal distribution of all salaries in the US would not be accurate. The sample you'd have to look at is those with 4-year degrees, because those are the one who're as qualified as a teacher is.

Last edited:

Pretty good.

Statewide for Florida:

And if we were going to compare them, why not compare their income to the average person with a Master's Degree like my wife has?

Pretty good.

Statewide for Florida:

And if we were going to compare them, why not compare their income to the average person with a Master's Degree like my wife has?

Because that is completely deceptive, it ignores what the degree is in. A masters of engineering has more economic value than one in art history, so just comparing them based on how long they went to school ignores what they studied.

Forum List

Back