Average teacher salary VS median income by state

R

rdean

Free By 50: Teacher Pay vs Median Incomes by State

What made me start this thread was because on the news, after Gov. Christie talked about New Jersey, they reported that New Jersey had 212 thousand millionaires state wide and 102 thousand teachers.

The average teacher's salary in New Jersey is $58,156.00 while the median state income is $64,070.00. That means teachers make 91% of the median state income.

Here is a list of "starting salaries" by state:

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Starting salary in Wisconsin is a measly $25,000. I had no idea it was that low. 25 grand.

When right wingers point out a teaching job that pays $100,000, it's because they have a Masters and have been teaching for 20 years or they live in an area where the standard of living is that high.

Right wingers chasing teachers out of their areas might have a "silver lining". Liberals areas will have the pick of the best. The best jobs will go to liberals and right wingers can fight with illegal immigrants over who gets to pick the biggest apples and the plumpest strawberries.

Rdean do you know the difference between average and median? The author in your link does not and your title implies that you don't either.

Rdean do you know the difference between average and median? The author in your link does not and your title implies that you don't either.

http://www.bvmarketdata.com/pdf/Median-Mean.pdf

0.61 Middle of sorted sample set
0.61 Median
1.47 Mean (Average)

If you simple took the salaries of everyone in the state, added them together, and divided by the number of people, it would skew the results. You wouldn't really get the salary of the middle of the state.

But for teachers, they are ALL teachers. So it's not that same.

Last edited by a moderator:

0.61 Median
1.47 Mean (Average)

If you simple took the salaries of everyone in the state, added them together, and divided by the number of people, it would skew the results. You wouldn't really get the salary of the middle of the state.

neither is comparing an individual salary to a household income.

fail3.gif

What made me start this thread was because on the news, after Gov. Christie talked about New Jersey, they reported that New Jersey had 212 thousand millionaires state wide and 102 thousand teachers.

The average teacher's salary in New Jersey is $58,156.00 while the median state income is $64,070.00. That means teachers make 91% of the median state income.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Starting salary in Wisconsin is a measly $25,000. I had no idea it was that low. 25 grand.

When right wingers point out a teaching job that pays $100,000, it's because they have a Masters and have been teaching for 20 years or they live in an area where the standard of living is that high.

Right wingers chasing teachers out of their areas might have a "silver lining". Liberals areas will have the pick of the best. The best jobs will go to liberals and right wingers can fight with illegal immigrants over who gets to pick the biggest apples and the plumpest strawberries.

You are not taking into account the benefits. A 25k job PLUS the benefits is quite a bit more then what you assert. You need to include that into the mix.

0.61 Median
1.47 Mean (Average)

Why does your title say "average" when there is no data that shows average?

I fail to see the relevance of the number of millionaires they have..Also those numbers don't include benefits and the fact that most teachers only work 9 months out of the year.

0.61 Median
1.47 Mean (Average)

neither is comparing an individual salary to a household income.

The funny part is that the link shows that New Hampshire, the state with the lowest percentage of average teacher salary to median statewide household income is 66%. So one teacher can earn over half the median statewide household income? I see no problem here especially since they are paid by those very same people who make less than them.

Last edited:

Nice try.

If you bother to check your numbers you will see that teachers, when you compensate for hours worked, get paid more than private sector workers. Additionally, if you compare them to private school teachers, they make $13,540 more than private school teachers, and that is without the benefits.

Average salaries for full-time teachers in public and private elementary and secondary schools, by selected characteristics: 2007-08

Here is a very interesting site. It gives median and average salaries by "zip-code".

If you have a single billionaire in the group, average salary zooms up, but that hardly affects "median" income. Teachers "median and average" are probably pretty close to the same. After all, how many millionaires become teachers?

Average Income per Person in the United States by Zip Code

Hold up, I found an error in my median vs. average statement. The teacher salaries are indeed stated as "average."

My apologies to Rdean.

Here is a very interesting site. It gives median and average salaries by "zip-code".

If you have a single billionaire in the group, average salary zooms up, but that hardly affects "median" income. Teachers "median and average" are probably pretty close to the same. After all, how many millionaires become teachers?

Ah. So average is a poor benchmark used alone. What makes you think median or any other statistical indicator should be used alone?

0.61 Median
1.47 Mean (Average)

Why does your title say "average" when there is no data that shows average?

Because rdean is the 2nd stupidest person on this message board. (I used to think he is the stupidest, but someone from the right is actually dumber.)

I know 4 of them. Teaching is probably what I'll do when I hit my magic number.

Nice try.

If you bother to check your numbers you will see that teachers, when you compensate for hours worked, get paid more than private sector workers. Additionally, if you compare them to private school teachers, they make $13,540 more than private school teachers, and that is without the benefits.

Average salaries for full-time teachers in public and private elementary and secondary schools, by selected characteristics: 2007-08

So you are taking everything into consideration? Class size? Educational requirements? Starting salary? Continuing education?

The truth is, all you right wingers are arguing why "Teachers are bad people who get too much and don't do anything". You did the SAME DAMN THING with scientists. All the posts about how scientists don't do anything but rest on their education, sit on their fat butts and collect government stipends.

Always looking for someone to point a finger at. Someone to blame. Looking for an accusation. Because that's all you've got. You know it. I know it. It can't be denied.

You are not taking into account the benefits. A 25k job PLUS the benefits is quite a bit more then what you assert. You need to include that into the mix.

And the fact that teachers typically work 36 weeks a year as opposed to 50 for the private sector. ( two weeks vacation included in that ) In 2002 my husband, a music teacher with a master's degree, started teaching at a small coastal town in Oregon and his salary was, $47K a year. Great benefits and many days and weeks for vacation, in addition to those 9 months, off. I think it was about an 8 month work year. Plenty of time for a second job in which he played professionally all over the world and won a Platinum award. :)

Last edited:

I know 4 of them. Teaching is probably what I'll do when I hit my magic number.

Sure you do.

Forum List

Back