Ave Maria

I fell quite fortunate that I was able to spend 12 years in Europe and enjoy some of the awesome things here.

Learned to love the People's Opera House in Vienna and listen to Mozart.
Hearing a chamber group playing in the grand hall of the huge castle there.
Seeing how the Romans built so well that many of their buildings are still standing - some still in use.

Yes, I am well aware of the pain and suffering brought about by building many of those structures and think the system that brought them about was horrid.

The song Ave Maria makes me cry every time I hear it.

If atheists are correct, and religion has brought nothing but harm to this world, then what about great religious songs like Ave Maria and Amazing Grace?

What about the beautiful cathedrals all over Europe?

What about the pyramids, the Temple of Athena, the mosques of the Middle East?

Can atheists admit that without religion, some of the most beautiful songs and buildings would not exist?

And that's not to mention the thousands of hospitals, charities, orphanages, and homes for the dying inspired by devotion to a religion.

Why do some atheists insist that all religion is bad?

You realize that the guy who wrote Ave Maria, Shubert, was anything but a good example of Christianity? A letch who eventually went insane from the sexually transmitted disease he got from prostitutes.

That said, ya, it's a great song. Great version of it by Maria Allas if I recall. 6:16 version (looking at the mp3 heh)

Religion on the whole IS bad. That a few stand-outs are otherwise doesn't overwhelm the downsides. Be like saying because Hitler had a few legit quotes like, "If you tell a big enough lie often enough people will believe it" Hitler was a good guy.

If atheists are correct, and religion has brought nothing but harm to this world, then what about great religious songs like Ave Maria and Amazing Grace?

Can atheists admit that without religion, some of the most beautiful songs and buildings would not exist?

And that's not to mention the thousands of hospitals, charities, orphanages, and homes for the dying inspired by devotion to a religion.

Most atheists don't believe that all religion is bad. For the most part, as long as you are not ramming your beliefs down our throats, we are fine with it

Yes, religion has done some great things. Art, architecture, music, movies, humanitarian causes
Nobody is advocating banning religion. Just keeping religion in its proper place

Because the Devil talks to their subconscious mind and makes them feel like religion is repellant.

Most atheists don't believe that all religion is bad. For the most part, as long as you are not ramming your beliefs down our throats, we are fine with it

Yes, religion has done some great things. Art, architecture, music, movies, humanitarian causes
Nobody is advocating banning religion. Just keeping religion in its proper place
Religion doesn't have a "proper place." It's not something we do on Sundays and then put to one side for the rest of the week.

It isn't religions "place" but Christ's "place" in our lives that is important. He can't be pigeon holed by religion. He belongs in the hearts of everyone. You don't need a church, and the only doctrine necessary, is to love the Father and each other. If you do that you belong to THE church of Christ. Our hearts are Christ's religion.

Ash, should some one wants to make you down right euphoric by slitting your throat, should we all stand and cheer at your murder because you consider it a good thing? I'd rather cheer at your becoming a child of the Most High, and spend an eternity with you in the joy produced by love instead of violence.

Religion doesn't have a "proper place." It's not something we do on Sundays and then put to one side for the rest of the week.

Yea...right

By proper place, I mean you not forcing your religion into schools, government or other peoples children

You realize that the guy who wrote Ave Maria, Shubert, was anything but a good example of Christianity? A letch who eventually went insane from the sexually transmitted disease he got from prostitutes.

That said, ya, it's a great song. Great version of it by Maria Allas if I recall. 6:16 version (looking at the mp3 heh)
he was not insane.......he suffered from cyclothymia, a mental illness that resulted in severe mood swings that fluctuated between hypomanic and depressive episodes...........it was the mistreatment of his disease (syphilis) that really killed him......Mercury poisoning....and i guess he was not a very attractive guy....hence the prostitutes....

Franz Schubert s Illness The Melancholy of an Autumnal Sunset Interlude.hk

Well, it's too bad for you that you hate cathedrals. Your loss.

No. They are really just monumental shit to make the sheeples feel small and irrelevant.
Admittedly, they are a work of ingenuity and architecture of a level that was never reached again.
I know what I am talking about, I live in the country that harbours most of them.
From outside undoubtedly incredibly impressive because of the unbelievable effort and construction knowledge, inside like the lobby to Dantes inferno theatre. Huge, dark grey and frightening.

I'm an atheist and I love the song
Which one do you mean?
Ave Maria from Schubert or Ave Maria, the Prelude from J.S. Bach?
The latter beeing the undoubtedly most perfect harmony compositition the world will ever hear.

What would he have composed if he could have had a look through the hubble space telescope?
Or on the tits of Gina Lollobridgida? We will never know. So I stick to his wondeful hymn to the virtual Maria.

For anyone who loves the exquisite tones of the feminine voice.
Bit off topic, but I like to introduce the best version of that I ever heared:

and some nice version of the J.S. Bach piece

there is of course a third piece from Caccini

Well, Maria was always the queen of hearts. Jesus is highly overrated.

Forum List

Back