Avatar wins Best Motion Picture - Drama at the Golden Globes

I was shocked, more with Best Director than Best Picture. Sure, it's made a fuckload of cash, but the backlash for the lack of an original story has been pretty strong. I really thought Kathryn Bigelow would win Best Director, even if Avatar won Best Picture. But when Cameron won Best Director, I knew Avatar was a lock for Best Picture. And if it can win here, it can easily win at the Oscars. It likely won't win Best Score or Best Original Song, because both of those are lacking. It will easily win the technical awards, obviously. I doubt it gets any actor nominations, unless Zoe gets a well deserved Best Actress nomination. It won't be nominated for Best Original Screenplay. But it should easily get Best Director and Best Picture at this point.

Fail troll fails.

Not trolling. As just pointed out in your previous post, lack of originality in the story is clear. Don't get me wrong, it's a entertaining flick and a beautiful one at that. But I was surprised as you at the Best Director win and a little less but still surprised at the Best Drama win. I agree that it should do well at the Oscars.

At the very least it will nab all the tech ones. I think it will nab Cameron Best Director. I'm more unsure about Best Picture.

Speaking of surprises though, I'm glad John won in best television supporting actor. Though I don't think Michael C. Hall should of won best actor. But it's not a bad choice either.

Last edited:
I wanted Lea Michele to win Best Actress Television - Musical or Comedy. She's so amazing in Glee. I am glad Glee won Best Television Show - Musical or Comedy, and even more glad at how gracious Tina Fey was. She said on the red carpet that she thought Glee would win and that she was rooting for it. She's such a class act. Unlike Tarantino, who is such a bitter fucking prick through and through.

Anyway, back to the originality. Avatar didn't copy Pocahontas. Pocahontas wasn't original. Neither was Dances with Wolves, for that matter.

i still dont get the emotional investment in avatar....the visionuals were good..but the story was bad....just kinda lame...it will win best pic and director....but i think that will be all...

hard to win acting awards, maybe some costuming awards or tech awards for design

I saw Avatar in 3D on Imax.

It was entertaining enough and did exactly what I want a movie to do; distract and entertain me for a couple hours. The 3D was cool. I hadn't seen a 3D movie since Jaws 3 The revenge. needless to say this was a much better 3D experience..

But Award worthy, other than for special effects, I don't think so.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back