Auto tariffs could cost Canada 160,000 jobs, TD estimates

Remember I stated 250k lost jobs a few months back if Trump got rid of NAFTA or car tariffs? This is what the "experts" at Canada predict. I am going on a limb and sticking to my estimations as this will go beyond just auto in regards to how companies will interpret this. It would start a rush of jobs back to America. The alt-left know this by the way and they are working overtime to try and derail Trump on behalf of their global masters.

By simply hitting Canada with a 25% tariff on cars, you will see a rush of high paying jobs back to the U.S. Guaranteed.

Auto tariffs would kill 1 out of every 5 manufacturing jobs in Ontario, TD says | CBC News

Donald Trump's threat to slap tariffs on Canadian cars and car parts could cost the country up to 160,000 jobs, especially if Canada retaliates, TD Bank warns.

In a report Monday, senior economist Brian DePratto crunched some numbers on the economic impact of a 10 per cent tariff on car parts, and a stiffer 25 per cent levy on fully assembled vehicles.

Those numbers aren't just pulled from thin air. They're the exact tariff levels the Trump administration recently implemented on aluminum and steel, and DePratto assumes a similar breakdown is a decent base-case scenario to work from, with 10 per cent on car parts, and 25 per cent on more high-value fully assembled vehicles.

His analysis also assumes that Canada would respond with some sort of tariff on U.S. cars and car parts, just as it did with metals.

Technically, nothing is written in stone and the earliest we'd likely see any vehicle tariffs would be August. But the wheels are certainly in motion for another front to soon open in the unexpected trade war between Canada and the United States. The first warning shots were fired in May when the Commerce Department began an investigation into the auto sector along national security grounds — the same justification that was made in slapping tariffs on steel, aluminum and other products.

Tariffs are taxes on consumers and kill net jobs. Econ 101

That's why China, Canada, the EU and other countries use it against America with glee?

You have to fight fire with fire. If there are no consequences for their companies and politicians, than American jobs will continue to be lost, your Middle Class further decimated.

To beat the enemy we must become the enemy...and then of course the enemy wins.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The Libertarian line is that free trade is good and government control is bad...and no, I never get off those two points.

Do you ever get tired of sniffing Trump’s ass?

Your "Libertarian" line is to criticize everyone else but not put forth practical alternatives, often with vulgar asides.

The Libertarian line is that free trade is good and government control is bad...and no, I never get off those two points.

Do you ever get tired of sniffing Trump’s ass?

Your "Libertarian" line is to criticize everyone else but not put forth practical alternatives, often with vulgar asides.

Practical alternatives to what? To 3.8% unemployment? To 107 straight months of economic expansion? To more jobs than people to fill them? Why do you want to change those things?

Vulgar asides”. Holy fucking shit, another snowflake offended by words their little ears can’t handle

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I guess NFTA is responsible for the 160,000 jobs that moved to Canada.

Canada had a much larger auto industry BEFORE NAFTA. GM alone employed over 40,000 people in Oshawa with thousands more employed manufacturing parts for the GM plants. Today, GM has 10,000 employees across Canada. Big drop.

The same can be said for Ford, which had a huge manufacturing operation in Oakville and Chrysler was in Windsor. Those plants have since moved to Mexico.

Forum List

Back