Auto Sales Hit New Record as Americans Buy More Gas-Guzzling Cars

I guess anyone with basic knowledge in geology realizes what price and demand mean in dealing with minerals.

The geologists I know and have worked with over the years tend to avoid economic anything. They understand some basics maybe, but even the USGS folks tend to avoid even attempting economic estimates in their resource estimates, sticking to technically recoverable, with really big conditionals on the economics. Current practice and prices being one of them, which practically invalidates their TRR estimates the next day, when price and by extension industry practice changes.

Old Rocks said:
Lithium is expensive, but at present, not expensive enough to mine the spodomene in the Black Hills for it.

Expensive is a relative concept. Which is why resource cost curves are nice, puts the volumes into the appropriate context of "how expensive".

Auto Sales Hit New Record as Americans Buy More Gas-Guzzling Cars

https://www.scientif...-guzzling-cars/

Americans' appetite for trucks and SUVs drove auto sales to new heights in 2016.

Major automakers and analysts put the final tally slightly above 2015's record 17.5 million vehicles sold as stronger-than-expected December sales figures rolled in yesterday.

Amid low gas prices, Americans are continuing to choose bigger and less fuel-efficient trucks and SUVs over passenger cars. An increase in sales of the bigger vehicles of around 7 percent in 2016 over 2015 offset a decline of up to 8 percent in sales of small to medium-sized cars, according to data provider Autotrader. It was the industry's seventh straight year of gains, although analysts cautioned that growth may slow in 2017 as automakers retool production to better match consumer demand.

The increasing popularity of gas-guzzlers has contributed to a continuing rise in greenhouse gas emissions from transportation and a plateauing of overall fuel economy, even though automakers are successfully increasing the fuel efficiency of even their least fuel-efficient models every year to meet federal fuel economy standards.

The average fuel economy of new car sales has stayed at roughly 25 mpg since the fall of 2014, despite a slight peak this summer, according to the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Institute.

Well, I guess Americans like their gas driven cars a lot still.

Happy happy oil industry. Good to know Americans are still doing as they're told.

When I rotate back to Murika I have promised myself one of them brand new Camaros

Wooooooooooooo! Hot damn!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back