Auto Financing - An Informal Survey

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I read an article in Newsweek (I think) at the Doctor's office the other day about the introduction of EIGHT (8) YEAR financing on new cars, and what it means to people and the industry.

In my own household, I always buy used vehicles and pay cash, with the most expensive vehicle so far being about $15 thousand. My wife always buys new and we finance her cars with a mortgage line of credit, so that the interest will be deductible (in recent years, she pays them off within a year). I leased a car once (an Acura Integra) because there was a special rate on that particular car and I wanted to see how Leasing worked in practice. Of course, the downside of leasing is that when you are done with the lease you have nothing to trade in, which makes BUYING your next car a bit more of a challenge than if you are trading a car that you own.

But with the average new car selling for more than $30 thousand, if you don't have a significant down payment and want to finance for the "traditional" three years, your car payment would be $7-800/month or maybe even more than that, which is a difficult pill to swallow. And given that, I'm astounded at the number of 40, 50, and even 60 thousand dollar vehicles I see riding through the neighborhood. Even leasing a vehicle like that involves a seven or eight hundred dollar monthly payment and at the end of three or four years you have bupkis to show for it.

Obviously the Auto Industry is behind the push to longer-term financing, so that the public can afford the cars they want to buy - which, by historical standards they really can't afford.

And the article pointed out that with 8-year financing, most people are still "under water" five years after purchasing the car. Thankfully, with the evolving high quality of most cars, they can now be expected to last eight years in reasonably good shape, provided you stick to a reasonably good maintenance program. I think they said that about 1/6 of new car sales last year took advantage of 8-year financing.

But it's still incomprehensible to me. I get tired of a car after two years and really get the itch to sell after 3. If I was financing 95% of the car's value for 8 years I would be in a hell of a fix for a long time. I'd start to drink.

Do any of the posters here drive expensive new cars? Do you lease, or, alternatively, how do you finance or pay for those cars? Inquiring minds want to know.

I read an article in Newsweek (I think) at the Doctor's office the other day about the introduction of EIGHT (8) YEAR financing on new cars, and what it means to people and the industry.

In my own household, I always buy used vehicles and pay cash, with the most expensive vehicle so far being about $15 thousand. My wife always buys new and we finance her cars with a mortgage line of credit, so that the interest will be deductible (in recent years, she pays them off within a year). I leased a car once (an Acura Integra) because there was a special rate on that particular car and I wanted to see how Leasing worked in practice. Of course, the downside of leasing is that when you are done with the lease you have nothing to trade in, which makes BUYING your next car a bit more of a challenge than if you are trading a car that you own.

But with the average new car selling for more than $30 thousand, if you don't have a significant down payment and want to finance for the "traditional" three years, your car payment would be $7-800/month or maybe even more than that, which is a difficult pill to swallow. And given that, I'm astounded at the number of 40, 50, and even 60 thousand dollar vehicles I see riding through the neighborhood. Even leasing a vehicle like that involves a seven or eight hundred dollar monthly payment and at the end of three or four years you have bupkis to show for it.

Obviously the Auto Industry is behind the push to longer-term financing, so that the public can afford the cars they want to buy - which, by historical standards they really can't afford.

And the article pointed out that with 8-year financing, most people are still "under water" five years after purchasing the car. Thankfully, with the evolving high quality of most cars, they can now be expected to last eight years in reasonably good shape, provided you stick to a reasonably good maintenance program. I think they said that about 1/6 of new car sales last year took advantage of 8-year financing.

But it's still incomprehensible to me. I get tired of a car after two years and really get the itch to sell after 3. If I was financing 95% of the car's value for 8 years I would be in a hell of a fix for a long time. I'd start to drink.

Do any of the posters here drive expensive new cars? Do you lease, or, alternatively, how do you finance or pay for those cars? Inquiring minds want to know.
As with most anything else, financing depends on good to excellent credit. Those with excellent credit pay very little interest, and usually on need a 48 month loan. To use myself as an example here, I financed a $20,000 vehicle loan through my credit union, at 2.9% interest for 48 months.

The mistake most people make when buying a vehicle, is buying from small mom and pop car lots, and usually they offer in-house financing, which usually carries extremely high interest rates. When buying a new vehicle, always buy from large well established locale dealerships. They usually get their vehicles financed through Ford Motor Credit, GM Credit, and other big volume lenders. Again, the key is protect your credit score, pay your bills on time, and establish a good pay history with open accounts.

ONLY buy used vehicles from very large auto dealerships. The large well established name brand dealerships ONLY keep excellent used vehicles for their used lot. They sell the rest of the trade-ins to auto auctions where small dealerships go to buy the junk they sell on their mom and pop lots. If you buy a used vehicle from a small lot, you're taking a big risk.

Lease vehicles are basically for large businesses and corporations. The general public should never get trapped in a lease purchase agreement with a vehicle. There are way more downsides than benefits to leasing a vehicle unless you're a large company or major corporation.

Also, consider the cost of repairs and replacement parts when buying a used vehicle. Generally speaking, the repairs and replacement parts are way more expensive for foreign made vehicles as opposed to American made vehicles.

I'm kinda out of the newest and greatest truck phase.
I used to trade em in after around 3 years. My latest truck the FJ has kinda struck a cord with me and I really dont want to get rid of it and it's an 07 with around 60 thousand on the odometer.
Part of it could be the extensive modifications but I did the same on other trucks and it never stopped me from trading em in.

Most I've spent on a Truck was 49k for a King Ranch Ford.
As far as paying for em goes we've always done the 4-5 year loan and made the payments.

What seams to be the issue is people buying more car than they can afford these days. There are plenty low end vehicles that are very affordable but the allure of that fast car or fancy truck sucks some people right in.

The longer you finance a vehicle.....like "KIA" as an example - the more you pay in interest rates. You have a low payment for a long time......like 6 years......but you are paying a lot in interest payments. But one thing about "KIA" brand of vehicles, is that they do last for almost ever.....and they last longer than domestic vehicles in my opinion - so; you get your moneys worth.

Me. I have a saving account set aside just for my next vehicle. I intend on laying down a nice "chunk of change" and having a very small payment. Then, since my payment is low, I can pay it off early.....thus bettering my credit score that much more. A low vehicle payment lets me put money in the bank each month.

Shadow 355

I never get a loan through a dealership, always through a Credit Union, I also get a long term loan as a "just in case" and make double payments with the extra always going towards the principle, never the interest, cuts the interest paid almost in half.

Interesting. I wouldn't completely ignore leases. There are times when a manufacturer just wants to move a car, and it ends up being cheaper than buying, all things considered. Buick, Audi, and VW, for example.

Just bought a 2011 Tahoe, one owner, single woman professor, extreme low miles, $32,000.00, total of $15,000.00 down with trade in, financed the rest at my credit union at 2.99% interest, I'll pay it off in two years.

I never get a loan through a dealership, always through a Credit Union, I also get a long term loan as a "just in case" and make double payments with the extra always going towards the principle, never the interest, cuts the interest paid almost in half.
Ditto.

I have a 2015 super cab Ford F250HD platinum edition, by the time it was all said and done, we paid $60K for it , More expensive than my wife's Lexus , by a nose. We have excellent credit and got 5 years with zero % interest, but the payment is still $650 a month.

It's a beautiful truck though and anything smaller wouldn't pull the trailers we pull around here. 90% of the time it's sitting in the driveway while I drive my 2014 Ford Focus ST around. I love that little car payment on it is $300 a month.

Interesting. I wouldn't completely ignore leases. There are times when a manufacturer just wants to move a car, and it ends up being cheaper than buying, all things considered. Buick, Audi, and VW, for example.

If you were a traveling salesman, say, who wanted a new car every year, why not lease? You're going to be getting rid of it in a year anyway, long before you'd have any equity built up in it, so you're not losing anything by not owning it..

Ditto.
I also never buy new, why pay for depreciation.......
Exactly. The Tahoe I bought depreciated $20,000 in 4 years, although it was a one owner, "little old lady" vehicle, extremely clean like new and very low miles. It was $52,000 new. So the smart thing to do is keep your eyes peeled for those kinds of vehicles. The initial depreciation is always the worst, so I agree, let someone else suffer that.

One of the most successful used car dealers hereabouts is very open about his business strategy: He buys luxury cars that have been leased (mainly Lexus), and resells them at a profit. Even with his markup they sell for about half what they sold for new, three years ago. And his customers are happy - they get Lexus luxury and Toyota reliability.

Forum List

Back