Autism Recovery

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
With the new estimates released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that now put the incidence of autism diagnosis at one in 110 children (much higher for boys), I am thinking once again about the scores of parents out there who are facing not only a doctor's dire prognosis but also an avalanche of confusing promises for recoveries and cures.

She raises some valid points.

Autism Recovery: A False Hope?

You don't recover from autism.

It's neurological process that (oftentimes) attacks multiple organs.

Kids don't recover. Parents recover from the shock, and then they learn to live with each other.

Kids don't recover. Parents recover from the shock, and then they learn to live with each other.

I teach kids with autism. I also work with one of the best teachers who has students with autism who are non-verbal, not potty trained, etc. She does wonders with these kids, and makes a lot of progress with them. Some succeed to be mainstreamed in the general ed classes, and others are in the general ed setting all day long.

There are many spectrums to autism, and with a lot of strategies out there, there is progress being made with these people.

Interesting that Autism has gone up with the increase in vaccines, just sayin'. And apparently Autism is almost non-existent in Amish communities. I wonder why? Could it be their diet? Could it be they don't eat GMO food? Could it be they don't take shitloads of vaccines from an early age like we do?

Nawwww!

Some friends of our have two autistic children and they are trying the Gluten/Casein free diet to see if that has any effect on their symptoms.

Interesting that Autism has gone up with the increase in vaccines, just sayin'. And apparently Autism is almost non-existent in Amish communities. I wonder why? Could it be their diet? Could it be they don't eat GMO food? Could it be they don't take shitloads of vaccines from an early age like we do?

Nawwww!

Some friends of our have two autistic children and they are trying the Gluten/Casein free diet to see if that has any effect on their symptoms.

Yes, I have a friend that is doing that with her daughter too.

I think it's good there are options out there, be it behavior modification, diet, etc.

Science still doesn't know what causes autism, but many can speculate.

I teach kids with autism. I also work with one of the best teachers who has students with autism who are non-verbal, not potty trained, etc. She does wonders with these kids, and makes a lot of progress with them. Some succeed to be mainstreamed in the general ed classes, and others are in the general ed setting all day long.

There are many spectrums to autism, and with a lot of strategies out there, there is progress being made with these people.

I was a para in an autism classroom before I became a social studies teacher. Those kiddos changed my life. <3

Like I said, you don't 'cure' autism. You live with it...and then realize you can't imagine life without it.

Nawwww!

Amish are fairly homogenous. Could be a little bit of genetics as well.

I don't think that autism is linked to vaccines.

I was a para in an autism classroom before I became a social studies teacher. Those kiddos changed my life. <3

Like I said, you don't 'cure' autism. You live with it...and then realize you can't imagine life without it.

Yep, I love those kids. (Of course, I love all my students, I teach MiMH/LD/ED/Autism in an inclusion setting. Going on my 15th year at the same school....I'm blessed to be able to do what I've always wanted to do, since I was 13 years old!

Why has autism become so prevalent? Was it always there and misunderstood?
My neighbors kid has autism.. He's doing okay, not so severe I would guess.
it Sucks.. life's tough enough.

My girlfriend has a non verbal 8 year old who attends a special school and gets in home speech therapy 2 times a week since he was two. He can only say one word "bus" and the teachers say what marvelous progress he's made. I disagree. EZ - if you could share any of the "best practices" used in your school, please let me know. This sweet child deserves better.

My girlfriend has a non verbal 8 year old who attends a special school and gets in home speech therapy 2 times a week since he was two. He can only say one word "bus" and the teachers say what marvelous progress he's made. I disagree. EZ - if you could share any of the "best practices" used in your school, please let me know. This sweet child deserves better.

PM me Chanel.

Forum List

Back