Author booed in commencment Speech...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, May 24, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/l...3724,print.story?coll=ny-topstories-headlines

Some people get it. How come its the Parents of the students that understand when the University does not? Colleges are breeding grounds for far left wing thought. When will people see this.

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I wonder if Hofstra will invite somebody from the administration to give a speech now as a "balance of opinion" like the other university did once Cheney was finished with his speech a few weeks ago?

Believe me, I won't hold my breath to find out.

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Hofstra students are Jewish, and Jews are big supporters of Bush because he is a "friend of Israel." That probably explains it.

4. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Or maybe it's because speakers at graduations should be providing a speech full of good advice, hope, and well wishing, and not someone's bullshit political agenda.

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    No kidding, don't they recieve enough of that BS in their classes?

6. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Pump them full of it till the very last second. That's their philosophy.

7. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ....when Pres. George W. Bush gave a Commencement address at Yale University in May 2001, 170 Yale professors boycotted the ceremony and numerous students in attendance booed, hissed, made gagging signs, and held up signs in protest. According to the eyewitness account of a student who helped organize the Yale protest (emphasis added),

"People booed and jeered, many turned their backs in silence, and many heckled him for the rest of the speech. It was a great show of the people's will. We have to make our voices heard loud and clear when Washington comes to us. That's what happened at Yale University."

Remember the Democracy Now show after that protest, with the handwringing about groupthink and civility toward people with different political views? Me neither.

In fact, a year later when Bush gave a commencement speech at Ohio State University, the administration made it clear it would not tolerate persistent heckling or blocking the view of others with signs. It told students in no uncertain terms that such activities would result in removal from the auditorium.

Was this applauded as a way to ensure the right of commencement speakers not to be shouted down by an unruly mob? Of course not. As The Progressive so subtly put it, it was McCarthy-ist suppression.

Which brings us full circle. Does someone get booed and heckled while trying to present a politically unpopular view? That's the brutal suppression of dissent. Does someone get kicked out of a commencement for booing and heckling and trying to suppress the presentation of a politically unpopular view? That's the brutal suppression of dissent.

Typically consistent left wing take on freedom of speech.

(By the way, for the record, my view is that the hecklers who disrupted Hedges' speech should have been treated on the Ohio State University model -- they should have been warned once and then removed by authorities from the auditorium.)
    source

I think that Doctrow should have made his speech less political, perhaps.

8. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I personally would have laughed and walked out, because no, I wouldn't want to interupt.

I don't defend the booing, I merely try to explain it.

9. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Sounds about right. It's wrong to boo anti-Bush liberals, but not wrong to boo conservatives. Typical shit from the left.

10. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    they can dish it out but they can't take it