Austria sentences man to 9 years for pro-nazi website

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is coming to america. All liberals love to say "we support free speech, not hate speech".

Austrian Neo-Nazi Sentenced to 9 Years in Prison - Jewish World - News - Israel National News

First Publish: 1/15/2013, 1:46 AM

A Viennese court has sentenced a leading neo-Nazi figure in Austria to nine years in prison for his role in launching an extreme-right website that glorifies Nazism.

Gottfried Kussel, 54, is “a leading figure in the extreme-right scene” and had previously been convicted on similar counts, including an 11-year conviction in 1994, said presiding judge, Martina Krainz, announcing the jury’s vote of 5-3 to convict him.

Krainz said the Internet is crucially important for spreading neo-Nazi ideology, which is banned in Austria, and the court had therefore imposed a severe punishment for Kussel, as well as two other defendants who received jail sentences of seven and four-and-a-half years.

What I find strange about cases of these nature - regardless of the whole 'free speech angle - is that websites that glorify the actions, policy and legacy of the Nazis are considered a threat to society, and the PC machine will tirelessly pursue whoever's behind them; yet largely ignore the websites that host footage of beheadings and other grisly material, which carry-on with impunity. Why is that, when the former poses a much greater threat than the ramblings, rhetoric and imagery from over seventy years ago?

Last edited:
There are several countries in that region where nazi symbols, and anything of that nature is illegal.

But why is that? The Romans caused much, much greater suffering than the Nazis ever did, and the acronym SPQR can be found proudly displayed all over the former Roman Empire. The Communists caused immeasurable suffering, but the hammer and sickle isn't banned by law. Indeed, many would quite rightly argue that the flag you see in my avatar is a symbol of oppression, under which millions across the world suffered, or were wiped-out altogether.

So why the double-standard when it comes to the Swastika?

The hammer and sickle is banned in some of those countries.

This is quite true. But do you think anyone who violates those laws would be pursued as aggressively as someone who publically paraded or bore the image of a Swastika in a country where the public display of a Swastika is outlawed? I don't; and I also find it strange that the E.U. ignored a plea in 2010 from new member states in the former Eastern Bloc, that called for an blanket ban on the public display of the hammer and sickle in all member states. Wierd, especially when you consider that more died under communism than the Third Reich. Wouldn't you agree?

Furthermore, Che Guevera is a potent symbol of communism, an ideology that undeniably caused more suffering than the Nazis, yet his image is emblazoned across millions of t-shirts and other items of clothing worldwide, yet doesn't attract the level of condemnation a t-shirt bearing the image or likeness of Hitler or Goebbels would.

Last edited:
This is coming to america. All liberals love to say "we support free speech, not hate speech".

Austrian Neo-Nazi Sentenced to 9 Years in Prison - Jewish World - News - Israel National News

A Viennese court has sentenced a leading neo-Nazi figure in Austria to nine years in prison for his role in launching an extreme-right website that glorifies Nazism.

Gottfried Kussel, 54, is “a leading figure in the extreme-right scene” and had previously been convicted on similar counts, including an 11-year conviction in 1994, said presiding judge, Martina Krainz, announcing the jury’s vote of 5-3 to convict him.

Krainz said the Internet is crucially important for spreading neo-Nazi ideology, which is banned in Austria, and the court had therefore imposed a severe punishment for Kussel, as well as two other defendants who received jail sentences of seven and four-and-a-half years.

I actually doubt this is coming to America. If we had given birth to a regime like the Nazis, then yes, we would probably be hypersensitive to reminders of it and have laws like this. But we didn't, so we aren't, and we therefore have no reason to create or accept such laws.

What I find strange about cases of these nature - regardless of the whole 'free speech angle - is that websites that glorify the actions, policy and legacy of the Nazis are considered a threat to society, and the PC machine will tirelessly pursue whoever's behind them; yet largely ignore the websites that host footage of beheadings and other grisly material, which carry-on with impunity. Why is that, when the former poses a much greater threat than the ramblings, rhetoric and imagery from over seventy years ago?

It's a sore point in Austria and Germany. You won't find those laws elsewhere, except perhaps in Israel. It's not like there's a mainstream effort to get them shut down here. Maybe it's over-reaction on their part, but it has nothing to do with beheadings, etc. I don't think they're given a free pass. If they're kept up at all, it's to gain intelligence to destroy the organizations.

I actually doubt this is coming to America. If we had given birth to a regime like the Nazis, then yes, we would probably be hypersensitive to reminders of it and have laws like this. But we didn't, so we aren't, and we therefore have no reason to create or accept such laws.

I don't think that citizens of Austria and Germany really care about their association with the Third Reich. I think it's more likely that the only people we can 'accuse' of being "hypersensitive" are the politicians and public figures, who'd be smeared and eventually destroyed if they dared to deviate from the required narative.

For instance, if a German or Austrian politician or public figure went on record saying that perhaps it's time they put the Third Reich and the Holocaust behind them - and ceased making reparations to Holocaust survivors (of which there are now few and far between) and the Jewish people i.e. - Israel - people are likely to say among themselves, 'do you think that that guy might be a Nazi?' And then the international media would descend with Jews demanding blood. That's the only people who are hypersensitive. Overall, I reckon that your average German or Austrian really couldn't give a shit about what happened seventy years ago, and secretly wish that a chunck of their tax Euros wasn't used to bribe Israel in order to prevent more Holocaust guilt being heaped upon them.

Wait I thought OBama WAS HItler? Are you telling me Hitler would make it illegal to make pro-Nazi websites? LOL!

I don't think that citizens of Austria and Germany really care about their association with the Third Reich. I think it's more likely that the only people we can 'accuse' of being "hypersensitive" are the politicians and public figures, who'd be smeared and eventually destroyed if they dared to deviate from the required narative.

For instance, if a German or Austrian politician or public figure went on record saying that perhaps it's time they put the Third Reich and the Holocaust behind them - and ceased making reparations to Holocaust survivors (of which there are now few and far between) and the Jewish people i.e. - Israel - people are likely to say among themselves, 'do you think that that guy might be a Nazi?' And then the international media would descend with Jews demanding blood. That's the only people who are hypersensitive. Overall, I reckon that your average German or Austrian really couldn't give a shit about what happened seventy years ago, and secretly wish that a chunck of their tax Euros wasn't used to bribe Israel in order to prevent more Holocaust guilt being heaped upon them.

I think you're very, very wrong about this. Your average German or Austrian is VERY touchy on the subject of Nazis.

Germany's Nazi Past: Why Germans Can Never Escape Hitler's Shadow - SPIEGEL ONLINE

This is just an example. I've talked to people from Germany, and they've given me to understand that, as another example, the casual way we in America throw around the term "Nazi" would unquestionably get a person punched or sued in Germany. It is viewed as a more unforgivable remark than calling a black person "ni**er" is here.

I expect their politicians are actually more sensitive to how their nation is viewed by people outside of it, but the everyday people on the street are still quite touchy about their national history, which is why they tolerate laws that would otherwise be viewed as an encroachment on freedom.

I think you're very, very wrong about this. Your average German or Austrian is VERY touchy on the subject of Nazis.

Germany's Nazi Past: Why Germans Can Never Escape Hitler's Shadow - SPIEGEL ONLINE

This is just an example. I've talked to people from Germany, and they've given me to understand that, as another example, the casual way we in America throw around the term "Nazi" would unquestionably get a person punched or sued in Germany. It is viewed as a more unforgivable remark than calling a black person "ni**er" is here.

I expect their politicians are actually more sensitive to how their nation is viewed by people outside of it, but the everyday people on the street are still quite touchy about their national history, which is why they tolerate laws that would otherwise be viewed as an encroachment on freedom.

I doubt that that journalist (or his requisite hyperbole) speaks on behalf of your average German on the street. He has a reputation and image to protect; and if he wants to continue contributing to SPIEGAL, he knows he'll have to toe the line. How do you think his future would look if he submitted a piece than ran contrary to what his editor was comfortable with publishing? What if he wrote that he was sick and tired of having to live under the constant cloud of Holocaust guilt? Of paying for sins of his ancestors? I think we both know his name or material wouldn't be featuring in SPEIGAL in the future. He'd be ruined.

No, the reason that Germany can't "escape Hitler's shadow" is because Hollywood and the media make it their business to remind everyone every other year. Since the late '70s Hollywood has financed big, award-winning productions focused on the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis, each taking the occasional historical liberty. So have various European media outlets. They [Germany] have been bombarded with reminders of how 'evil' their immediate ancestors were.

Are you "hypersensitive" about the genocide committed against Native Americans, Cecilie? I doubt you'd punch someone in the face or feel the need to make such an exaggerated display of outrage if someone called you an 'indian murderer'. I doubt you lose much, if any, sleep over their fate. Sure, you know about America's tainted past re. Native Americans, as am I with all the natives the British trampled on throughout the Empire. But, speaking for myself, I haven't had that guilt heaped upon me throughout my life. Thus I'm not burdened with a sense of guilt everyone expects me to carry.

Germany and Germans will escape Hitler and its Nazi past when everyone just lets it all go. Like the descendants of all the other persecuted and oppressed peoples have done.

Germans and Austrians still view the Nazi ideology as a threat, as was pointed out in this thread already. Hosts of islamic fundamentalist websites spreading hatred will get prosecuted as quickly as neo-nazi websites spreading hatred. You won't find the anti-nazi laws in the United States, due to that lack of guilt. Austrians and Germans still feel the shame and they are keen that no repeat of Nazism ever occurs. Therefore, websites like this are taken extremely seriously.

Good. People like him shouldn't be walking around among decent people.

Forum List

Back