Austria sentences man to 9 years for pro-nazi website

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ShootSpeeders, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,157
    This is coming to america. All liberals love to say "we support free speech, not hate speech".

2. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    What I find strange about cases of these nature - regardless of the whole 'free speech angle - is that websites that glorify the actions, policy and legacy of the Nazis are considered a threat to society, and the PC machine will tirelessly pursue whoever's behind them; yet largely ignore the websites that host footage of beheadings and other grisly material, which carry-on with impunity. Why is that, when the former poses a much greater threat than the ramblings, rhetoric and imagery from over seventy years ago?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    There are several countries in that region where nazi symbols, and anything of that nature is illegal.

4. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    But why is that? The Romans caused much, much greater suffering than the Nazis ever did, and the acronym SPQR can be found proudly displayed all over the former Roman Empire. The Communists caused immeasurable suffering, but the hammer and sickle isn't banned by law. Indeed, many would quite rightly argue that the flag you see in my avatar is a symbol of oppression, under which millions across the world suffered, or were wiped-out altogether.

So why the double-standard when it comes to the Swastika?

5. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    The hammer and sickle is banned in some of those countries.

6. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    This is quite true. But do you think anyone who violates those laws would be pursued as aggressively as someone who publically paraded or bore the image of a Swastika in a country where the public display of a Swastika is outlawed? I don't; and I also find it strange that the E.U. ignored a plea in 2010 from new member states in the former Eastern Bloc, that called for an blanket ban on the public display of the hammer and sickle in all member states. Wierd, especially when you consider that more died under communism than the Third Reich. Wouldn't you agree?

Furthermore, Che Guevera is a potent symbol of communism, an ideology that undeniably caused more suffering than the Nazis, yet his image is emblazoned across millions of t-shirts and other items of clothing worldwide, yet doesn't attract the level of condemnation a t-shirt bearing the image or likeness of Hitler or Goebbels would.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I actually doubt this is coming to America. If we had given birth to a regime like the Nazis, then yes, we would probably be hypersensitive to reminders of it and have laws like this. But we didn't, so we aren't, and we therefore have no reason to create or accept such laws.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    It's a sore point in Austria and Germany. You won't find those laws elsewhere, except perhaps in Israel. It's not like there's a mainstream effort to get them shut down here. Maybe it's over-reaction on their part, but it has nothing to do with beheadings, etc. I don't think they're given a free pass. If they're kept up at all, it's to gain intelligence to destroy the organizations.

9. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    I don't think that citizens of Austria and Germany really care about their association with the Third Reich. I think it's more likely that the only people we can 'accuse' of being "hypersensitive" are the politicians and public figures, who'd be smeared and eventually destroyed if they dared to deviate from the required narative.

For instance, if a German or Austrian politician or public figure went on record saying that perhaps it's time they put the Third Reich and the Holocaust behind them - and ceased making reparations to Holocaust survivors (of which there are now few and far between) and the Jewish people i.e. - Israel - people are likely to say among themselves, 'do you think that that guy might be a Nazi?' And then the international media would descend with Jews demanding blood. That's the only people who are hypersensitive. Overall, I reckon that your average German or Austrian really couldn't give a shit about what happened seventy years ago, and secretly wish that a chunck of their tax Euros wasn't used to bribe Israel in order to prevent more Holocaust guilt being heaped upon them.

10. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Wait I thought OBama WAS HItler? Are you telling me Hitler would make it illegal to make pro-Nazi websites? LOL!