Australian Senate seat a possible path to freedom for Assange

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange believes winning a seat in the Australian Senate would force the US and others pursuing him to back down, securing his safe passage out of the UK following his 8-month confinement at the Ecuadoran Embassy in London.

The September 14 elections in Australia could provide a platform for a man once described by Vice President Joe Biden as a “high-tech terrorist,” by raising the political stakes for those seeking his extradition, Assange explained in a recent interview with Australian website the Conversation.

By winning a seat in Australia’s upper house, “the US Department of Justice won’t want to spark an international diplomatic row,” Assange was quoted as saying.

“It will drop its grand jury espionage investigation. The Cameron government will follow suit,” he continued, adding that “the political costs of the current standoff will be higher still” if UK authorities insist on blocking his safe passage out of the country.

Australian Senate seat a possible path to freedom for Assange ? RT

I'm less confident than Assange claims to be that the U.S. would back off, thus causing the U.K. to back off, but it would certainly be interesting.

Let's hope the world's bully boys --- America -- are ridiculed into final submission .

Let's hope the world's bully boys --- America -- are ridiculed into final submission .

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You think Assange's election would somehow create ridicule for the U.S., and that this would for some reason make them back down?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You think Assange's election would somehow create ridicule for the U.S., and that this would for some reason make them back down?
"Ridiculed into final submission" and "death to Infidels" may have the same outcome, Mr. Kennedy.

Americans stop bullies from harming millions of people. It's our history and our bellweather of leading oppressed societies into freedom and civil rights for all citizens.

"Ridiculed into final submission" and "death to Infidels" may have the same outcome, Mr. Kennedy.

I'm pretty sure ridicule and death aren't on the same level. Nor does Julian Assange have anything to do with jihad or terrorism.

Americans stop bullies from harming millions of people. It's our history and our bellweather of leading oppressed societies into freedom and civil rights for all citizens.

Tell that to the Philippines. Or Iraq or Afghanistan.

Is the US maintaining death squads and torture militias in Afghanistan? | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

It's our history and our bellweather of leading oppressed societies into freedom and civil rights for all citizens.

Yeah, and our self imposed role of world policeman is what has made us a target for terrorism. I think we're finally reaching the point where the American people have had enough of watching our own coming home in flag draped coffins in order to bring "freedom" to 11th century savages who don't want us there to begin with.

Is the US maintaining death squads and torture militias in Afghanistan? | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Hell, Vietnam, our biggest debacle ever.

Hell, Vietnam, our biggest debacle ever.

The list goes on and on.

Forum List

Back