Australia Getting PC Regarding Police/Muslims?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/printpage/0,5481,17026063,00.html

Police told to respect traditions
Liam Houlihan, religious affairs reporter
25oct05

POLICE are being advised to treat Muslim domestic violence cases differently out of respect for Islamic traditions and habits.

Officers are also being urged to work with Muslim leaders, who will try to keep the families together.

Women's groups are concerned the politically correct policing could give comfort to wife bashers and keep their victims in a cycle of violence.

The instructions come in a religious diversity handbook given to Victorian police officers that also recommends special treatment for suspects of Aboriginal, Hindu and Buddhist background.

Some police officers have claimed the directives hinder enforcing the law equally.

Police are told: "In incidents such as domestic violence, police need to have an understanding of the traditions, ways of life and habits of Muslims."

They are told it would be appreciated in cases of domestic violence if police consult the local Muslim religious leader who will work against "fragmenting the family unit".

Islamic Women's Welfare Council head Joumanah El Matrah called the guidelines appalling and dangerous.

"The implication is one needs to be more tolerant of violence against Muslim women but they should be entitled to the same protection," Ms El Matrah said.

"Police should not be advising other officers to follow those sorts of protocols.

"It can only lead to harm."

Ms El Matrah said Muslim leaders should be brought into domestic violence investigations only if requested by the abused woman.

The guide also advises officers not to hold interviews with Aboriginal suspects or set court hearings during Aboriginal ceremonies involving "initiation, birth, death, burials, mourning periods, women's meetings and cultural ceremonies in general".

They are told to interview Baha'i suspects only after sunset in the fasting month.

And they are cautioned that when a Sikh is reading the Sikh Holy Script -- a process that normally takes 50 hours -- "he should not be disturbed".

The 50,000 handbooks instruct police to take shoes off before entering Buddhist and Hindu houses and mosques, and remove hats before entering or searching churches.

They are warned that taking photos or samples from Aboriginal suspects could raise fears they could be used for sorcery and spiritual mischief.

Australasian Police Multicultural Advisory Bureau head Gerard Daniells, who created the 82-page full-colour handbook, said common sense would prevail over the guide in an emergency.

Mr Daniells said the next edition would include Maori spiritual beliefs and practices.

The glossy guides would have cost at least $300,000 to produce, a printing industry expert said.

Police Association secretary Paul Mullet said members had an appreciation of different cultures but their overriding concern was for safety of the community.

Mr. P said:
PC=Public Cancer....and it's TERMINAL...IMO.

I'm just amazed at the ability to ignore what has gone before. :coffee3:

Kathianne said:
I'm just amazed at the ability to ignore what has gone before. :coffee3:
It's been that frog in the pan of water thing...I think that's changing, pc is becoming more "in your face", maybe that's a good thing, it can't be easily ignored.

Mr. P said:
It's been that frog in the pan of water thing...I think that's changing, pc is becoming more "in your face", maybe that's a good thing, it can't be easily ignored.

Yeah, I posted something on the problems facing the Democrats, the PC far left seems to be gaining control of the message. They may be in worse position than the GOP, no easy feat that!

Kathianne said:
Yeah, I posted something on the problems facing the Democrats, the PC far left seems to be gaining control of the message. They may be in worse position than the GOP, no easy feat that!
Gee...both partys crashing and burning at the same time. Who'd a thunk it?
Maybe that's a good thing too though.

Mr. P said:
Gee...both partys crashing and burning at the same time. Who'd a thunk it?
Maybe that's a good thing too though.

I keep hoping that with the backlash the borders, Harriet Miers, out-of-control spending, the RNC will get it! I don't think there are the numbers of 'loyal dissenters' within the democratic party.

Kathianne said:
I keep hoping that with the backlash the borders, Harriet Miers, out-of-control spending, the RNC will get it! I don't think there are the numbers of 'loyal dissenters' within the democratic party.
I think you may be right..I see the majority of the democratic party as "followers" no matter what, and the majority of the Republican party as "Leaders" that are loyal to a point, but will call a spade a spade if need be.

Mr. P said:
I think you may be right..I see the majority of the democratic party as "followers" no matter what, and the majority of the Republican party as "Leaders" that are loyal to a point, but will call a spade a spade if need be.
Not too mention that we 'will' turn to alternatives, but would rather not be forced to. That to me was the crux of the Miers kerfuffle. Those who argue to back up bad, cause it's better than the alternative, will get more of the same. I just have never gone there. Nor do I think a sizeable percent of 'conservatives' have. Then again, I could be wrong. ;)

Kathianne said:
Not too mention that we 'will' turn to alternatives, but would rather not be forced to. That to me was the crux of the Miers kerfuffle. Those who argue to back up bad, cause it's better than the alternative, will get more of the same. I just have never gone there. Nor do I think a sizeable percent of 'conservatives' have. Then again, I could be wrong. ;)
Time will tell. If some major policy changes don't occur in the next year or so, I think the last one out needs to turn out the lights cuz the partys over.

Mr. P said:
Time will tell. If some major policy changes don't occur in the next year or so, I think the last one out needs to turn out the lights cuz the partys over.

Then someone will step up. I found though that the withdrawal of Miers has made me more optomistic. :)

POLICE are being advised to treat Muslim domestic violence cases differently out of respect for Islamic traditions and habits.

Officers are also being urged to work with Muslim leaders, who will try to keep the families together.

What a croc of shit. Western countries should not be changing their laws to accommodate Muslims. If they have a problem with their laws, go back to whatever shithole you came from.

Do you suppose this is the kind of stuff Prince Charles intends to try to sell to Bush? Anyone know if Prince Charles has been in Australia recently? :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back