Australia/America-Australia relationship

The Aussies have always been an allie of the US.

Hell. My Dad fought alongside them in the South Pacific in WW II and my brother in Nam.

Couldn't ask for better soldiers to have your back.

I don't think anything will change that.

Human rights violations?
What do you have on your mind?

My guess that he is referring to the theft of land from Aborigines and the subsequent failure to apologise for doing so. There is also an issue with the treatment of asylum seekers.

All-in-all I'd have thought Australia have a better record in human rights than most countries in NATO.

Australia is not a member of NATO.

Um......no, it isn't. That's probably because it's not in the NORTH ATLANTIC.

^ Saigon claims that he is a journalist even though he has no clue what the term Major Non NATO Ally means.

"Major Non (sic) NATO ally" is not actually a term.

Australia is a member of SEATO, and obviously of ANZUS.

Not that I would expect many posters to have heard of either, I must admit.

^ SEATO ended in 1977. By the way, it stood for South East Asia Treaty Organization. You can take a guess which country was the prime focus of this treaty.

Now, let us come to ANZUS, it was under dispute due to New Zealand's withdrawal stemming from their lack of belief in nuclear weapons. However, co-operation between Australia and the U.S. continued under the framework of ANZUS.

Major non-NATO ally (MNNA) is a designation given by the United States government to close allies who have strategic working relationships with US Armed Forces but are not members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). Examples of MNNA are Pakistan, Australia, etc.

An MNNA country has privileges to buy weapons that are not available to other non-NATO countries. This is a very important designation and is conferred to close US allies only.

Do not ever call yourself a journalist or else people will call you a troll.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back