Austin Bay's Memorial Day Speech

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I like this, since most of the members seem to be legal, it's all the more poignant:

http://www.austinbay.net/blog/index.php?p=361

5/28/2005
Memorial Day Speech– for Tejanos in Action
Filed under: General— site admin @ 2:52 pm
This morning I spoke at a Memorial Day ceremony held at the Travis County International Cemetery. A group of Hispanic vets tends the graves of indigent American veterans buried in the cemetery. The place is one of those plots of ground with a decidedly checkered past. In the 19th century it was a “paupers graveyard.” The county buried small pox victims at the site, and –according to one of the officers in Tejanos in Action– victims of a plague that struck in the early 20th century were buried there as well. I suspect the land served as “a Negro cemetery” and “a Mexican cemetery.”

Approximately twenty years ago Tejanos in Action started fixing up the cemetery and handling the burials of indigent veterans.

In early May Tejanos in Action asked me to speak at this year’s Memorial Day ceremony, held today, May 28. At events like these I always wonder what I need to say–but I know what I must say. They asked me to wear my uniform– it was raining so I wore my DCUs instead of greens. My wife also tagged along– she was dressed to the nines, despite the bad weather.

Note the mother of Lance-Corporal Nicholas S. Perez, USMC, was in attendance. Lance-Corporal Perez was killed in action on September 3, 2004, in Iraq. (He was 19 years old.) My wife and Mrs. Valdez had a nice chat before the service. A number of Lance-Corporal Perez’ family members and friends also came. They wore t-shirts with his picture on it.

An honor guard from Tejanos in Action conducted the flag ceremony. A bugler played taps and the honor guard fired a 21-gun salute. Tejanos in Action commander Jose Montoya introduced me. Another honor guard –this one composed of high school students from a school service club and drill team– stood to my side and behind me. This isn’t the first time I’ve had to give a speech “in the round,” and it a peculiar kind of challenge.

Here’s the text of today’s speech:

I am honored to be asked to speak on behalf of Tejanos in Action here at the Travis County International Cemetery.

At one time this cemetery is what another era called a Potter’s Field or Pauper’s Graveyard – a grave site for the destitute, for the disenfranchised, for the socially disdained, for those grand society might conveniently forget.

Of course Tejanos in Action has changed that sad legacy,–flipped it completely – and much for the better, for this cemetery is now dedicated to remembering, not forgetting. Thank you and your organization for this gift which enriches our history and in doing so enriches our spirit and in doing so enriches our democracy. The mission of each generation is to take what we have and do better, do more with it. Liberty gives us this chance, to choose to take a sad and forgotten plot and turn it into a beautiful, peaceful place.

We know why we are here to remember—it’s out duty as citizens, as veterans, and as free men and women.

Memorial Day is about taking a moment to reflect and to remember, to reflect and to respect the special gift of those who did their duty.

Memorial Day is a time to recall the personal and shared sacrifice, recognizing what the dead we honor did for each of us individually and for America as a nation, recognizing what those who serve us today are risking for our sake.

Military service is hard service. Everyone who’s ever worn the uniform knows that. It is a special burden, particularly in a free society.

In some ways it is the hardest job as well as the most necessary job. It is the job of the soldier that makes our liberty possible, and it is our liberty that makes everything else possible.

I want to thank Yolanda Valdez, mother of Lance Corporal Nicholas Perez who served in Iraq last year with the 3/7 Marines and was killed in action last September. Thank you Mrs. Valdez for your son’s bravery and sacrifice, and your bravery and sacrifice.

I never knew the men and women we are here to honor today. I only know they were Americans who wore the uniform of soldiers, sailors marines, and airmen. But that is enough, in fact, that is more than enough for all of us who come to this cemetery.

For the service of these men and women buried here we are thankful. God Bless them ––and may God grant us peace.

copyright Austin Bay May 27, 2005 all rights reserved

After the ceremony we stood around and talked. Many of the men in Tejanos in Action are Vietnam vets. One of the girls in the high school honor guard will be a freshman this Fall at the University of Texas. She wants to go to law school and eventually become a judge. My wife got her name– my wife’s firm is always looking for quality summer hires and quality “runners” during the school year. This young lady has quite a resume’ and she looked extra sharp in her camouflage drill team uniform.

Alas, Newsweek and Al Jazeera didn’t send reporters. I didn’t see Linda Foley there, either, or Eason Jordan. Believe me, Tejanos in Action would have been glad to have them.

Forum List

Back