Austerity

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by manifold, Aug 3, 2011.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,784
    'Austerity' carries it's fair share of negative connotation, and not without solid justification. But would it really be a bad thing as a society to simplify our wants and needs and learn to be happy with less?

I know that merely asking this question will have me branded a fascist by some, and a communist by others, but I believe it's worthy of honest consideration nevertheless.

Please discuss.

2. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,784
    I wonder, does the Tea Party use the term at all with respect to their platform? It seems they ought to since it's core to their stated objectives. In fact, I hereby dub them, the Austeri-Tea Party. :cool:

3. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Austerity never works when an economy is in a deep recession or depression. It is akin to Medieval doctors who treated the sick by bleeding them, and thereby made them even sicker.

We have our own history as a clear example, going back to the 1920's and the Hoover/Mellon austerity that turned a recession into a depression. Or a more recent example in Ireland.

But, the te(a)rrorists have their own rewritten version of history, so in their ignorant minds, FDR caused the depression, even though he was NOT president at the time, and he made it last longer, another ignorant belief.

Mere parsimony is not economy. Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true economy.
    Edmund Burke

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,784
    Well, the fact remains that the 'austerity' bill that just passed did so under Obama's stewardship.

5. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,167
    The bill which just passed was a camel (I'm suspect you understand a camel is a horse designed by committee). Obama's "stweardship" was tantamount to putting a cork in a leaky damn when half the mob wanted the damn to break and the other half wanted to rebuild the damn.

We don't need austerity, we need a pragmatic non ideological and transparent approach to solving the many problems facing our nation today.

6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,784
    Austerity can be very pragmatic and need not be ideological or partisan.

What is wrong with a man learning to simplify his wants and needs?

7. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    That would require a president who actually "leads" and presents actual "plans" instead of offering flowery oratory. Maybe we can hang on until 2012 and make a change for the better.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,830
    In this country? What the heck are you smoking....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,512
    Judging by the smell of it, objective common sense, I'd say.

10. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    I'm sure the Soviet Premier had a similar message for the Russian people in the late 1980's.

How far America has fallen. The 'city upon the hill', the 'can do' spirit has been replaced with ...NO, WE CAN'T!

We Choose the Moon

[​IMG]

"Those who came before us made certain that this country rode the first waves of the industrial revolutions, the first waves of modern invention, and the first wave of nuclear power, and this generation does not intend to founder in the backwash of the coming age of space. We mean to be a part of it--we mean to lead it.

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win!"

President John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    Address at Rice University on the Nation's Space Effort, September 12, 1962