Austerity

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
'Austerity' carries it's fair share of negative connotation, and not without solid justification. But would it really be a bad thing as a society to simplify our wants and needs and learn to be happy with less?

I know that merely asking this question will have me branded a fascist by some, and a communist by others, but I believe it's worthy of honest consideration nevertheless.

Please discuss.

• Banned
I wonder, does the Tea Party use the term at all with respect to their platform? It seems they ought to since it's core to their stated objectives. In fact, I hereby dub them, the Austeri-Tea Party. :cool:

Austerity never works when an economy is in a deep recession or depression. It is akin to Medieval doctors who treated the sick by bleeding them, and thereby made them even sicker.

We have our own history as a clear example, going back to the 1920's and the Hoover/Mellon austerity that turned a recession into a depression. Or a more recent example in Ireland.

But, the te(a)rrorists have their own rewritten version of history, so in their ignorant minds, FDR caused the depression, even though he was NOT president at the time, and he made it last longer, another ignorant belief.

Mere parsimony is not economy. Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true economy.
Edmund Burke

• Banned
Austerity never works when an economy is in a deep recession or depression. It is akin to Medieval doctors who treated the sick by bleeding them, and thereby made them even sicker.

We have our own history as a clear example, going back to the 1920's and the Hoover/Mellon austerity that turned a recession into a depression. Or a more recent example in Ireland.

But, the te(a)rrorists have their own rewritten version of history, so in their ignorant minds, FDR caused the depression, even though he was NOT president at the time, and he made it last longer, another ignorant belief.

Mere parsimony is not economy. Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true economy.
Edmund Burke

Well, the fact remains that the 'austerity' bill that just passed did so under Obama's stewardship.

Edmund Burke

Well, the fact remains that the 'austerity' bill that just passed did so under Obama's stewardship.

The bill which just passed was a camel (I'm suspect you understand a camel is a horse designed by committee). Obama's "stweardship" was tantamount to putting a cork in a leaky damn when half the mob wanted the damn to break and the other half wanted to rebuild the damn.

We don't need austerity, we need a pragmatic non ideological and transparent approach to solving the many problems facing our nation today.

• Banned
We don't need austerity, we need a pragmatic non ideological and transparent approach to solving the many problems facing our nation today.

Austerity can be very pragmatic and need not be ideological or partisan.

What is wrong with a man learning to simplify his wants and needs?

Edmund Burke

The bill which just passed was a camel (I'm suspect you understand a camel is a horse designed by committee). Obama's "stweardship" was tantamount to putting a cork in a leaky damn when half the mob wanted the damn to break and the other half wanted to rebuild the damn.

That would require a president who actually "leads" and presents actual "plans" instead of offering flowery oratory. Maybe we can hang on until 2012 and make a change for the better.

I'm sure the Soviet Premier had a similar message for the Russian people in the late 1980's.

How far America has fallen. The 'city upon the hill', the 'can do' spirit has been replaced with ...NO, WE CAN'T!

We Choose the Moon

WeChooseToGoToTheMoon.jpg

"Those who came before us made certain that this country rode the first waves of the industrial revolutions, the first waves of modern invention, and the first wave of nuclear power, and this generation does not intend to founder in the backwash of the coming age of space. We mean to be a part of it--we mean to lead it.

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win!"

President John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Address at Rice University on the Nation's Space Effort, September 12, 1962

I wonder, does the Tea Party use the term at all with respect to their platform? It seems they ought to since it's core to their stated objectives. In fact, I hereby dub them, the Austeri-Tea Party. :cool:

The Tea Party by-and large doesn't actually know what the term Austerity means when it comes to the budget. When you have a large number of people who think you can balance the budget by cutting waste, NPR, and foreign aid then it's no wonder so many people are calling for a balanced budget amendment.

The Tea Party by-and large doesn't actually know what the term Austerity means when it comes to the budget. When you have a large number of people who think you can balance the budget by cutting waste, NPR, and foreign aid then it's no wonder so many people are calling for a balanced budget amendment.

When you have people who think you can tax and spend your way out of debt, you're really in trouble. The Tea Party needs to use the slogan, "It's the spending stupid".

http://www.usmessageboard.com/econo...-vs-household-budget-how-do-they-compare.html

Well, maybe they can entice John McCain to join their party...he knows what needs to be cut to fix the economy...

earmarks.jpg

A+ for deflection dude. :thup:

Why don't you try reading what JFK said? He is defining what America was built on and how America can remain the city upon the hill. It was not founded by people who settle for mediocrity, austerity or failure.

The Greek definition of happiness is full use of ones powers along the lines of excellence.
President John F. Kennedy

'Austerity' carries it's fair share of negative connotation, and not without solid justification. But would it really be a bad thing as a society to simplify our wants and needs and learn to be happy with less?

I know that merely asking this question will have me branded a fascist by some, and a communist by others, but I believe it's worthy of honest consideration nevertheless.

Please discuss.

Only a fascist communist would think this is worthy of honest consideration.

Austerity will mean slower economic growth. Ultimately, we have to deal with this fiscal mess. Whether we should deal with it when unemployment is 9% is a real question. But nonetheless, countries which undergo austerity grow slowly for some time. The US will be no different. However, when the austerity is over, the US will be better for it.

Nothing wrong with it, it simply requires honesty, self discipline and a way to control human nature. Not easy or desired by most human beings.

Please discuss.

Only a fascist communist would think this is worthy of honest consideration.

Austerity will mean slower economic growth. Ultimately, we have to deal with this fiscal mess. Whether we should deal with it when unemployment is 9% is a real question. But nonetheless, countries which undergo austerity grow slowly for some time. The US will be no different. However, when the austerity is over, the US will be better for it.

If it is so good, why would you wish to end it?

The HIPPIES tried to convince people to learn to live with less.

How'd society treat THAT philosophy?

I'll tell you because I've been here every since that happened.

They demonized that philosophy, that's how they treated it.

Such a philosophy leads to economy stagnation in our economy because our economy DEMANDS a constantly increasing amount of consumtion to thrive.

Forum List

Back