Auschwitz memorial launches Facebook page

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
WARSAW, Poland – To try to reach young people around the world, the memorial museum at Auschwitz has launched a page on Facebook, the social networking site usually home to news and photos about friends, funny videos and the minutiae of modern life.

The page aims to be a forum for discussion, reflection and learning about the Nazi death camp, and many people have left a simple message in English, Hebrew and Polish: "Never again."

Since opening this week, the page has drawn more than 1,800 "fans," who have subscribed, and the number is growing by the hour. About 1,000 signed up on Thursday alone.

Pawel Sawicki, a spokesman for the Auschwitz memorial, said the museum viewed its venture onto the popular site as "kind of an experiment."

"Facebook is the tool that young people are using to communicate, so if we want to reach them, we should be using their tool," Sawicki told The Associated Press.

The attention that the page has generated took the museum by surprise.

"We were expecting large interest, but not so soon," Sawicki said.

Auschwitz memorial launches Facebook page - Yahoo! News

that's cool...i just blogged about auschwitz survivor eva kor today on my blog (wp.me/pCINY-7M)...it's a compelling story, you should come read it!

for an active link, just click on Never Again! below my signature

Something about this just strikes me as wrong.
FaceBook is for people wanting to find old schoolmates not Holocaust survivors.

"Fritz! Do you remember back in the day when you threw my friend Schlomos' body into the oven? Seems like just yesterday. Hows the wife?"

Something about this just strikes me as wrong.
FaceBook is for people wanting to find old schoolmates not Holocaust survivors.

"Fritz! Do you remember back in the day when you threw my friend Schlomos' body into the oven? Seems like just yesterday. Hows the wife?"
Its too frivilous and trivial for such a crime, that is what is wrong with it.

you do realize that there are living survivors--1st, 2nd and 3rd generations--who are using facebook just like everyone else, right? should they not be allowed to use the online tool just like everyone else?

what's more, i run a fan page for my blog, Never Again!, an online Holocaust memorial...are you saying that i shouldn't be allowed to use the online tool the way i see fit?

so in your estimation, it's okay to use facebook for a weekend hook-up, or to find videos of douchebags jumping off of bridges, or frivolous types of activity like that, but it shouldn't be used for educational purposes or for the actual benefit and beterment of society?

just wondering...

i dont see what the fuss is all about. There are facebook pages and groups for all sorts of personal connections.

This is a non issue. Holocaust victims can enjoy the information age like everyone else.

Now it's just a matter of time before some neo-nazis begin to spam the page.

I am a cynical bastard.

I am more cynical than rotten cheese in a French Security Pact.

But fuck me, Auschwitz?

Just saying the world makes me think humans should go extinct and let the rats have their turn.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back