August 7, 2019

Soaring

May 30, 2009
- Yup, ten years in the future, and it's bleak.

Betsy's Page

Friday, August 07, 2009
Obamacare 10 years down the road

The CBO has given us a look at what the costs of Obama care would be in the out years, ten years on. And it is not a pretty picture.
In a July 26 letter, CBO director Douglas Elmendorf notes that the net costs of new spending will increase at more than 8% per year between 2019 and 2029, while new revenue would only grow at about 5%. “In sum,” he writes, “relative to current law, the proposal would probably generate substantial increases in federal budget deficits during the decade beyond the current 10-year budget window.” (The House bill has changed somewhat in the meantime, but not enough to alter these numbers much.)
Look at the table and you'll see that it would be a deep mistake to believe the rhetoric about how the Democrats' plan would do anything to lower health care costs.

Of course, entitlements passed by Congress never cost what originally predicted.
As for the spending, when has a new entitlement ever come in under budget? True, the 2003 prescription drug benefit has, but those surprise savings derived from the private insurance design and competition that Democrats opposed and now want to kill. The better model for ObamaCare is the original estimate for Medicare spending when it was passed in 1965, and what has happened since.

That year, Congressional actuaries (CBO wasn’t around then) expected Medicare to cost $3.1 billion in 1970. In 1969, that estimate was pushed to $5 billion, and it really came in at $6.8 billion. House Ways and Means analysts estimated in 1967 that Medicare would cost $12 billion in 1990. They were off by a factor of 10—actual spending was $110 billion—even as its benefits coverage failed to keep pace with standards in the private market. Medicare spending in the first nine months of this fiscal year is $314 billion and growing by 10%. Some of this historical error is due to 1970s-era inflation, as well as advancements in care and technology. But Democrats also clearly underestimated—or lowballed—the public’s appetite for “free” health care.

ObamaCare’s deficit hole will eventually have to be filled one way or another—along with Medicare’s unfunded liability of some $37 trillion. That means either reaching ever-deeper into middle-class pockets with taxes, probably with a European-style value-added tax that will depress economic growth. Or with the very restrictions on care and reimbursement that have been imposed on Medicare itself as costs exploded.
And at that point there will be only two choices: cutting benefits or raising taxes. And raising taxes only on millionaires won't be enough. Of course, by then, Obama will be out of office. Ten years on, everyone will be paying for what is being sold to us as a program that will actually save money.

Yeah, that's a likely a story. No wonder people aren't eager to buy it.

We live in a society -
"of the Government, by the Government, for the Government".
We are now slaves to A GREEDY government.

OK. Then let's avoid all of this and go directly to a single payer system such as Canada has. Per capita cost of $7800 per year, versus over 16,000 for the US. And the outcome is superior in almost every category.

OK. Then let's avoid all of this and go directly to a single payer system such as Canada has. Per capita cost of $7800 per year, versus over 16,000 for the US. And the outcome is superior in almost every category.

you are dumb as a rock,, how can you compare canada's situation with the US of KKKA?? 30 million vs. 350 million and half of mexico.. and none of mexico and half of the US of KKKA pay taxes,, the other half and 1/2 of mexico,, leech.

Canada ain't America.

Name the American do-gooder giveaway program that hasn't vastly underestimated its costs and overestimated its effectivness.

G'head...We all have time.

Tell my why we cannot do what all the other industrialized nations have done. Provide health care insurance to all of our citizens at a less cost, with an outcome that exceeds our present system. Whatever your mental deficiences may be, I am sure that there are people in this nation that are capable of designing a system that would work for all citizens.

Tell my why we cannot do what all the other industrialized nations have done. Provide health care insurance to all of our citizens at a less cost, with an outcome that exceeds our present system. Whatever your mental deficiences may be, I am sure that there are people in this nation that are capable of designing a system that would work for all citizens.
"We"?!?!?!?!????

Really easy to say "we" when you get to schlepp off all the difficult life-and-death decisions onto someone else, ain't it??

Wow, that's great. You're "sure". Will anyone be able to take your sureness to the bank to pay their health care costs that are mandated by the government? What is your "sureness" actually worth? I'd wager it's worth absolutely NOTHING!

So, instead of a bunch of suppliers for insurance competing with each other for a limited number of contracts, we give them all to one, the same one that drove the prices of medical aid to the sky ... I wish the Mafia was running things right now, at least they don't pretend to be honest.

Here's a better idea.
Why don't you move to Canada and leave my fucking health coverage alone, EH?

ok. Then let's avoid all of this and go directly to a single payer system such as canada has. Per capita cost of $7800 per year, versus over 16,000 for the us. And the outcome is superior in almost every category.

here's a better idea.
Why don't you move to canada and leave my fucking health coverage alone, eh?
amen!

Forum List

Back