August 5, 358

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
Historic snowstorm this day in history in Rome, Italy.

Nowadays, this would be unheard of , but it happened in the middle of the Tremendous 4th Century. The people of Rome took it as a sign from Almighty God a church should be built, and it was.

Has global warming and climate change made this impossible today?

August 5: Snow Fell on Rome - ZENIT - English

You just proved there was no global warming in 352AD but its a legend.

One legend, unreported before the year 1000, gives another name to this feast: Our Lady of the Snows. According to that story, a wealthy Roman couple pledged their fortune to the Mother of God. In affirmation, she produced a miraculous summer snowfall and told them to build a church on the site. The legend was long celebrated by releasing a shower of white rose petals from the basilica’s dome every August 5.
Dedication of Saint Mary Major Basilica

I hate to burst your bubble but a miracle, no.

You just proved there was no global warming in 352AD but its a legend.

One legend, unreported before the year 1000, gives another name to this feast: Our Lady of the Snows. According to that story, a wealthy Roman couple pledged their fortune to the Mother of God. In affirmation, she produced a miraculous summer snowfall and told them to build a church on the site. The legend was long celebrated by releasing a shower of white rose petals from the basilica’s dome every August 5.
Dedication of Saint Mary Major Basilica

I hate to burst your bubble but a miracle, no.

The "legendary" part of the historical account was the determination of theologians of the Blessed Mother's role in the meteorological event.

The meteorological record of the blizzard is a matter of fact.

Europe got colder by the1200's, iirc, a new 'mini-ice age' set in. There have been several of those documented. I'll see if I can find my book on it, about the effects of geography and weather on history.

New Topics

Forum List

Back