Attractive and Successful African-American maintains balance exceptionally well

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
Domino's Delivers Racism To Your Front Door In Under 30 Minutes - The Consumerist

A woman in Apex, NC, had just taken delivery of two Domino's pizzas when her 10-year-old niece pointed out the words "N**GER DON'T TIP" at the bottom of the receipt.

Sad, and funny all at the same time. A better question is, why was the driver fired? The message was printed on the receipt tape. Do drivers normally actually print the receipts? If so, do they have the ability to add messages to the receipts while not at home base?

Also on a side note: The site where I got the story from, Fark, has a comments sections. In the comments section it was noted repeatedly that it is common knowledge that black people, on the whole, either tip poorly or not at all. Fark leans center-left (although not by a lot), has a user base that is pretty well educated, and is a place where I would not think that the users by-and-large are racist, lean racist, or display the genteel racism that some on the left display, and yet these assertions were not really challenged in the over 200+ replies. Comments here: http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5571267

Having never worked in the food service, or tip based jobs, is this actually true?

Last edited:
I found this comment interesting.

Most of the delivery management systems used by Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa John's, etc. have two comments areas: one that gets put on the receipt/box labels ("Door is behind garage") and one that is just displayed on the internal monitors ("Customer scams us for free pizza").

Methinks someone didn't realize what the difference between those two fields was.

I found this comment interesting.

Most of the delivery management systems used by Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa John's, etc. have two comments areas: one that gets put on the receipt/box labels ("Door is behind garage") and one that is just displayed on the internal monitors ("Customer scams us for free pizza").

Methinks someone didn't realize what the difference between those two fields was.

Yeah, which begs the question, did this driver actually input that?

I didn't get it at all. Sorry.

"Attractive and successful" (codewords for black), "african-american" (outright black in case you missed the codewords) "maintains balance exceptionally well" (she stays upright. she doesn't "tip").

682352_f520.jpg

If you pay by credit card the driver is responsible for what is on the receipt.

I find your thread title offense but I really can't put my finger on why that is....

I waited table all through college and a few years beyond (thanks again for that Sociology degree). My only observation is that women don't tip well...and watching 7 chicks divide up a combined tab is so painful, I wanted to claw my eyes out.

"Now Ethel had the cobb salad but no drink....."

I find your thread title offense but I really can't put my finger on why that is....

How do you figure, if the driver didn't print the receipt? I would agree with partially responsible, but not solely.

I'm simply complimenting someone on their fine sense of equilibrium in the thread title.

I waited table all through college and a few years beyond (thanks again for that Sociology degree). My only observation is that women don't tip well...and watching 7 chicks divide up a combined tab is so painful, I wanted to claw my eyes out.

"Now Ethel had the cobb salad but no drink....."

The closest I ever came to working in a service industry was at a car wash. It didn't stand out to me that black people did not tip well, but as all tips went into a communal jar I never really noticed.

One group of people that I DID notice who did not tip well were Canadians. I grew up in Florida, so we had "snowbird" season every fall/winter. Those cheap bastards would tip a quarter directly to you (instead of the tip jar) and act like they were giving you the key to untold riches. Whenever we saw a car pull up with 1) an old person behind the wheel and 2) Canadian plates...we all rolled our eyes.

How do you figure, if the driver didn't print the receipt? I would agree with partially responsible, but not solely.

I'm simply complimenting someone on their fine sense of equilibrium in the thread title.
Have you ever ordered pizza and paid with a credit card? The drivers have little hand held machines that they swipe your card into and print you out a receipt.

Have you ever ordered pizza and paid with a credit card? The drivers have little hand held machines that they swipe your card into and print you out a receipt.

I've always had to give the CC info over the phone to the company before the driver gets there. When they do they already have a receipt that I just have to sign.

I've always had to give the CC info over the phone to the company before the driver gets there. When they do they already have a receipt that I just have to sign.
Must be a Georgia thing. That isn't how it works in my neighborhood.

*Shrug*

Same thing happens when I pay cash. The receipt is taped to the box at the store and the driver just delivers it. He has nothing to do with the printing of it.

It was that way in Florida as well when I lived there. And I can remember when I have traveled on business and ordered pizza it was also the same....lemme think.....St Louis....Tennessee (Bristol)....and Pennsylvania....those are the places that did it the same way that I can remember.

FWIW, I do not believe I have ever seen it where the driver prints the receipt at the time of the "handoff".

*Shrug*

Same thing happens when I pay cash. The receipt is taped to the box at the store and the driver just delivers it. He has nothing to do with the printing of it.

It was that way in Florida as well when I lived there. And I can remember when I have traveled on business and ordered pizza it was also the same....lemme think.....St Louis....Tennessee (Bristol)....and Pennsylvania....those are the places that did it the same way that I can remember.

FWIW, I do not believe I have ever seen it where the driver prints the receipt at the time of the "handoff".
You'll just have to take my word for it that that is the way it works in my neighborhood.

I wonder if the driver was Dr. Laura? I heard she was looking for a new job.

Forum List

Back