ATTN: Young Republicans

Here is a question for all young and middle aged Democrats. If your not in the military, when are you signing up?
this middle aged democrat signed up. served. retired. next question?

The POINT, I think, of this thread is to suggest that putting's one's money where one's mouth is seems appropriate. My father was a lifelong democrat and on 12/7/41, he was a thirty year old trial attorney, his first child, my big sister, was less than a week old and he went off to war and didn't come back until it was over over there... because he believed it was a cause worth fighting for.

Our country is deeply divided about the war in Iraq and that divide falls, generally, along political ideological lines.

Liberals ( usually democrats) think that this is a horrible war and that no Americans should be fighting and dying in our endeavors to babysit a sectarian fight amongst Iraqis and that this war is hurting our ability to focus upon and defeat our true enemies.

If you do not believe the cause of Iraqi governmental creation and stability is worth fighting for, it is NOT philosphically inconsistent to avoid serving there.

Conservatives (usually republicans), on the other hand, think this a delightfully just and appropriate and necessary war. They think that the goal of establishing a multicultural jeffersonian democracy on the banks of the euphrates river is the highest priority that Americans could possibly be involved in. They firmly believe that Iraq is the place on earth where American will face and defeat Islamic extremists who seek to destroy us. They believe that we absolutely must face them and defeat them there, or we will be forced to face and defeat them on our own shores soon thereafter.

So... if you DO believe that the actions in Iraq are noble and necessary and ought to be our country's highest priority, it IS philosophically inconsistent to avoid serving there. And just so we are clear: philosophical inconsistency in avoiding combat is really just a euphemism for yellow bellied coward.

this middle aged democrat signed up. served. retired. next question?

The POINT, I think, of this thread is to suggest that putting's one's money where one's mouth is seems appropriate. The fact that the majority of the military is conservative/Republican cannot be ignored. They DO indeed put their money where their mouth is. My father was a lifelong democrat and on 12/7/41, he was a thirty year old trial attorney, his first child, my big sister, was less than a week old and he went off to war and didn't come back until it was over over there... because he believed it was a cause worth fighting for.

Our country is deeply divided about the war in Iraq and that divide falls, generally, along political ideological lines. Posts like this do a lot to heal that divide.... of course, let us never accuse the Dems of wanting to unite this country. They are more interested in punishing those who voted for Bush.

Liberals ( usually democrats) think that this is a horrible war and that no Americans should be fighting and dying in our endeavors to babysit a sectarian fight amongst Iraqis and that this war is hurting our ability to focus upon and defeat our true enemies. That is probably YOUR personal view; I do not believe that is the general liberal view. Liberals are basically anti-Bush at all cost, anti-war at all cost, and anti-Republican at all cost IMO

If you do not believe the cause of Iraqi governmental creation and stability is worth fighting for, it is NOT philosphically inconsistent to avoid serving there.

Agree. However, IMO, young liberals/Dems believe in avoiding service no matter what the cause.

Conservatives (usually republicans), on the other hand, think this a delightfully (nice inflamatory adjective!) just and appropriate and necessary war. Please cite one example of any conservative/Republican uses the term "delightful" in describing the current operations in Iraq. They think that the goal of establishing a multicultural jeffersonian democracy (never saw that term used by any conservative/republican in describing the mission in Iraq either) on the banks of the euphrates river is the highest priority that Americans could possibly be involved in. They firmly believe that Iraq is the place on earth where American will face and defeat Islamic extremists who seek to destroy us. Possibly, but I view it more as another front in the entire war on terror. They believe that we absolutely must face them and defeat them there, or we will be forced to face and defeat them on our own shores soon thereafter. We have already faced them on our own shores and lost. They will be back.

So... if you DO believe that the actions in Iraq are noble and necessary and ought to be our country's highest priority, it IS philosophically inconsistent to avoid serving there. And just so we are clear: philosophical inconsistency in avoiding combat is really just a euphemism for yellow bellied coward. Bullshit and you know it.

I guess then that only Republicans should be allowed to serve in the military then. Funny, I don't remember seeing this question on any enlistment forms:
"To what political party do you belong?" There are many reasons why a Republican can believe in the war and yet not serve....physical disability comes to mind. Specific to this board....many of the pro-military, pro war folks who post here have already served.

It is obvious to me that every time a poster starts a thread like this the discussion that follows only further divides the participating parties. If we follow in this vein, we will be proposing that every time a Dem/lib gets pregnant they immediately get an abortion or that every Dem/lib should give their income to some poverty stricken family/person.

I guess then that only Republicans should be allowed to serve in the military then. Funny, I don't remember seeing this question on any enlistment forms:
"To what political party do you belong?" There are many reasons why a Republican can believe in the war and yet not serve....physical disability comes to mind. Specific to this board....many of the pro-military, pro war folks who post here have already served.

It is obvious to me that every time a poster starts a thread like this the discussion that follows only further divides the participating parties. If we follow in this vein, we will be proposing that every time a Dem/lib gets pregnant they immediately get an abortion or that every Dem/lib should give their income to some poverty stricken family/person.

I realize that my prior post was a bit inflammatory and - you must have also figured out - a little tongue in cheek.

given the fact that I am a lifelong democrat, my father was a lifelong democrat, and given the fact that both of us DID serve in an organization that was and still is dominated by republicans... it does stick in my craw a bit that young collegiate republicans do seem to find excuses for letting others go in harm's way in their stead in this war. That frustration is real, and the bile it creates is also real.

I realize that my prior post was a bit inflammatory and - you must have also figured out - a little tongue in cheek.

given the fact that I am a lifelong democrat, my father was a lifelong democrat, and given the fact that both of us DID serve in an organization that was and still is dominated by republicans... it does stick in my craw a bit that young collegiate republicans do seem to find excuses for letting others go in harm's way in their stead in this war. That frustration is real, and the bile it creates is also real.

I understand. Then again, college kids are weird anyway (no matter what party they ascribe to!)

I understand. Then again, college kids are weird anyway (no matter what party they ascribe to!)

many are. I actually have two of them who are more mature, more focused, and more respectful of their father than I have any reasonable right to expect.

It just amazes me that people would think that those who think the war is a grave mistake should spill their blood for it Yet they dont think there is anything wrong with people who support it (to the point of calling fellow Americans traitors for believing its wrong) just standing o the sidelines and watching while the troops are so overburdened they are beig sent pback multiple times.

Lay your life on the line for what you are willing to watch other Americans lay their lives on the line for instead of just standing on the sidelines and yelling Ra Ra and spitting on the people who know its an American tragedy.

We (about 70% of your fellow Americans now) truely believe this war is HURTING America badly.

You can pretend we dont like it for other reasons all you want and it just makes you a stuborn fool.

Want to proove us wrong then go fight.

It just amazes me that people would think that those who think the war is a grave mistake should spill their blood for it Yet they dont think there is anything wrong with people who support it (to the point of calling fellow Americans traitors for believing its wrong) just standing o the sidelines and watching while the troops are so overburdened they are beig sent pback multiple times.

Lay your life on the line for what you are willing to watch other Americans lay their lives on the line for instead of just standing on the sidelines and yelling Ra Ra and spitting on the people who know its an American tragedy.

We (about 70% of your fellow Americans now) truely believe this war is HURTING America badly.

You can pretend we dont like it for other reasons all you want and it just makes you a stuborn fool.

Already provided a link to a series of polls that prove your claim is hogwash ( since your using polls to make the 70 percent claim) Americans believe we should NOT abandon Iraq, they believe we should ensure the Government there is able to stand on its own two feet and they DO NOT support a rapid pull out any time in the near future. Further they believe IF we leave the job unfinished Iraq will become controlled by AQ. But hey do not let pesky little facts and the TRUTH get in the way of a good liberal lie.

This stubborn fool has done exactly that. what have you done for this country lately?

"All in all, considering the costs to the United States versus the benefits to the United States, do you think the war with Iraq was worth fighting, or not?"

Worth Fighting Not Worth Fighting Unsure
36 63 1

7/18-21/07

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

one wonders what sort of American would think - on one hand - that all in all, considering the costs to the United States versus the benefits to the United States, the war with Iraq was not worth fighting - and then, on the other, think that we should NOT get out of Iraq?

I submitt if you asked flat out do you wish we could leave Iraq it would be 100%

Its all in how you ask the question.

No one wants us in Iraq.

Its about wether the Iraq war is Harming the US.

Those of us who believe the policy of the Iraq was is harming America want out as smoothly as possible.

Im not really sure what those who support the war think it is doing for us?

The worlds population dispises us now , we are bleeding American blood into Iraq, we are bleeding American treasure into Iraq, we are breaking our military and the fighting will just continue no matter if we leave 6 months from now or 20 years from now.

one wonders what sort of American would think - on one hand - that all in all, considering the costs to the United States versus the benefits to the United States, the war with Iraq was not worth fighting - and then, on the other, think that we should NOT get out of Iraq?

It's called "committment". I can see where one could disagree with the wothiness of fighting a war in Iraq in the first place but then once that decision is made, seeing it through.

Forum List

Back