Attn: Veterans

Branch: Navy

Date/s: 1969-1973

Unit: VXE-6

Other info: Two deployments to McMurdo, Antarctica

Wow, I got kidded about not fucking up or I'd get sent to Adak, Alaska or Bumfuck Egypt. How did you wind up in Antarctica as an AT and not on a carrier somewhere?

Just dumb luck I guess.

That's actually pretty cool. Not many people can lay claim to having set foot on Antarctica. On the other hand, the extreme environment and lack of being able to get away from it all would suck. Kind of like being at sea, but without any port calls.

Wow, I got kidded about not fucking up or I'd get sent to Adak, Alaska or Bumfuck Egypt. How did you wind up in Antarctica as an AT and not on a carrier somewhere?

Just dumb luck I guess.

That's actually pretty cool. Not many people can lay claim to having set foot on Antarctica. On the other hand, the extreme environment and lack of being able to get away from it all would suck. Kind of like being at sea, but without any port calls.

But there was a women behind every tree.

Hey, y'all!

First of all, I just want to say THANK YOU to all of you. Sincerely, thank you. I respect you all more than you'll ever know.

Second, I wanted to share something with you. I recently came across this awesome initiative called Victor Values Veterans, which helps veterans find jobs after they return home from serving overseas.

It's really simple to help out, all you have to do is "like" them on Facebook. (They've agreed to donate funds to the Call of Duty Endowment for every new Facebook fan they get.)

I think it's a really awesome cause and it's super-simple to help, so why not just do it?

Since I'm new here I can't link to the page, but if you're interested in finding out more about the cause/want to like the page on Facebook all you have to do is search "Victor Pest" on Facebook. Once you get to their main fan page you can click on "Victor Values Veterans" (near photos and rodent control).

I really hope you'll all check it out! We've all got to look out for each other!

Thanks!

Branch: Navy

Date/s: 1984-1988

Unit: USS California CGN-36

Other info: Nuke. That is, reactor operator. Went through the whole reactor training pipeline. OCS in Newport RI, Nuclear Power School in Orlando, prototype training in upstate NY, Surface Warfare School in San Diego, ship in Alameda (SF Bay).

Oh, shellback. And both ditches. Though I've heard the current shellback ceremony has been wimpified. No more good fun beatings with sections of firehose.

I normally don't mention the vet thing, but I've got a couple crazies in another folder who are psychostalking me from thread to thread and calling me a fraud over and over for mentioning I was in the Navy. I even keep offering to show them a scan of my DD214 (name and SSN blocked), but it doesn't stop them. Yes, of course none of them are vets. Figured I'd invite them over here if they don't give it a rest.

Needless to say, y'all can ask me anything you want about my Navy time. Which will mainly concern how unpleasant things were on a nuke cruiser. If they didn't need to refuel you, they could keep you out as radar picket until the food runs out. So they did. All the nuke cruisers are retired now.

Ya know....the special on HBO: Alive Day Memories: Home from Iraq is on. I'm making myself watch it. Just to make me know.........some of what happens. James Gandolfini is interviewing some of the soldiers.
I'm YOUR Mother, Sister, Friend......whatever you'd ever need. Anytime

Branch: USMC

Date/s: 1966 -1968

Units:0311 with I 3/2 2nd Mar. Div. Camp Lejuene
Infantry Fire Team Leader ( 0311 ) with C Co. 1st Bn 4th Marines in Vietnam 6/67 - 2/68
Phu Bai, Camp Evans, Dong Ha and C2 Bridge. Northern I Corps
Main Operations: Cumberland Road, Hickory II, Granite and Kentucky

Other info: Retired as a Deputy Director of the NYS Division of Veterans Affairs

USMC
1983-1993
0311 Infantry
Marine Barracks Seal Beach, 2nd Battalion 2nd Marine Regiment, Marine Barracks Mare Island

US Army
2007-2012
14T PATRIOT Missile Launcher Operator
1-43 ADA, Fort Bliss, Texas

US Army Reserve
2012-Present
25B Information Systems
Camp Parks

I just shook the hand of yet another American Veteran suffering from the after effects of yet another war. He had been sprayed by agent orange. Survived the war, but not it's effects. He had Parkinson's disease. Our kids are living through the gulf war with depleted uranium shells and the forced inoculations, well, it isn't looking good.

Last edited:
I just shook the hand of yet another American Veteran suffering from the after effects of yet another war. He had been sprayed by agent orange. Survived the war, but not it's effects. He had Parkinson's disease. Our kids are living through the gulf war with depleted uranium shells and the forced inoculations, well, it isn't looking good.

There are multiple threads devoted to those subjects, how about keeping such things there please.

Forum List

Back