Attn: GunnyL (m1911 'smith advice needed)

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
I need to replace the recoil buffer on my Springfield TRP... You know, the little piece of polyurethane that sits between the recoil spring and the guide... I have been told that this piece is superfluous and can be discarded with no consequence... Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Criminy Snow, you abusing that gun? Not taking care of it properly? It's not even a year old. You can't be shooting that much, my e-mail hasn't been full and my phone's not ringing (yeah, I know, you don't have my number).

Should have bought Colt instead of that POS Springfield. :D ;)

I've pretty much been shooting this and my OLL almost exclusively.

And I take impeccable care of this baby - what I'm worried about, in particular, is the little polyurethane buffer that sits between the recoil spring, and the recoil spring guide - it looks like it might be reaching the end of its days. Same thing with the recoil spring itself - not as tight at each end as it was when I first purchased the pistol. Who knows - this might be par for the course after a could thousand rounds.

And if it's not, SA has a lifetime warranty not limited to the original owner - does the "Prancing Pony" offer that?

;) :razz:

I need to replace the recoil buffer on my Springfield TRP... You know, the little piece of polyurethane that sits between the recoil spring and the guide... I have been told that this piece is superfluous and can be discarded with no consequence... Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a full-length recoil guide rod, or just the standard spring buffer?

The purpose of the poly is to reduce impact to the weapon itself. Its actual effect on recoil is minimal. The weapon will function without it, but I would replace it, if I was you; especially, if you are doing a lot of shooting with that handgun.

I would also suggest getting the full-length recoil guide rod if you are shooting it a lot, as it does improve accuracy, and weapon stability. One of the drawbacks to the M1911A1 is after a lot of firing, the slide gets loose from the receiver; which, loosens the weapon up and decreases accuracy. A good 'smith can tighten those back up for at minimal cost. The full-length recoil guide rod does offset this a bit, and the poly will extend the loosening up by decreasing the impact.

Hope that answers your question.

Forum List

Back