Attention Potheads

Pain is hard for an outside observer to quantify with regard to intensity. If Marijuana works, I say go for it.

All reefer ever did for me was make me paranoid so I always drank beer with it...Although I believe all the stories in this thread, I have my doubts about it's medicinal qualities...if you want something to help hard enough, it usually will...all it ever "cured" for me was boredom. I used to be able to roll a doobie with one hand and a Zig Zag wheatstraw.....I wonder if I still can?
thinking.gif

Information for people with "insufferable" pain. I knew it all the time.

Does Cannabis Truly Help Chronic Pain?

A large study stretching over a 4-year period challenges popular beliefs, as it finds “no evidence” that cannabis use improves the symptoms of chronic pain.
More and more people are taking prescription opioids for pain management, making the phenomenon “an emerging public health concern globally.”
Of all the countries in the world, North America has the “proportionally highest” use of prescription opioids.
Due to opioids’ side effects and highly addictive nature, researchers and patients alike are now turning to medical marijuana, or cannabis, as a potentially safer alternative.

Read more
I'd have to look at the actual study itself, what the parameters were and what specifically were they looking at to know how how viable the study actually was.
As an example, linked to the article was a write up on not using salt to prevent an infection. Everyone knows salt doesn't prevent infections but it does help in removing infections so the article was off the track as to the use of salt in conjunction with an infection.
In other words I typically don't trust medical researchers without taking their studies with at least "a grain of salt"..........

Pain is hard for an outside observer to quantify with regard to intensity. If Marijuana works, I say go for it.
PAIN is personal, just like cancer. Nothing more personal than cancer. Studies and facts CAN be two different things. A person can take McRocket "study" or the REAL life facts of people and as you see from this VERY thread personal life facts out preform any damn "study".

the gov'ment owns a patent on what makes weed medically beneficial...

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants

Abstract
Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##

Inventors: Hampson; Aidan J. (Irvine, CA), Axelrod; Julius (Rockville, MD), Grimaldi; Maurizio (Bethesda, MD)
Assignee: The United States of America as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC)
Family ID: 26767641
Appl. No.:
09/674,028
Filed:
February 2, 2001
PCT Filed:
April 21, 1999
PCT No.:
PCT/US99/08769
PCT Pub. No.:
WO99/53917
PCT Pub. Date:
October 28, 1999
United States Patent 6,630,507
Hampson , et al. October 7, 2003
[...]

United States Patent: 6630507

they just don't want to truly acknowledge those benefits, 'cause big pharma can't corner the market.

willie-pot-patent-1-1.jpg

Willie Nelson holds up a container of his branded marijuana with “6630507” written on it. Following the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s inaction on rescheduling marijuana, legalization proponents have responded by taking to the internet to highlight Patent No. 6,630,507, which covers the potential use of non-psychoactive cannabinoids. (Photo courtesy of Willie’s Reserve)

Last edited:
the gov'ment owns a patent on the what makes weed medically beneficial...

Abstract
Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##

Inventors: Hampson; Aidan J. (Irvine, CA), Axelrod; Julius (Rockville, MD), Grimaldi; Maurizio (Bethesda, MD)
Assignee: The United States of America as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC)
Appl. No.:
09/674,028
Filed:
February 2, 2001
PCT Filed:
April 21, 1999
PCT No.:
PCT/US99/08769
PCT Pub. No.:
WO99/53917
PCT Pub. Date:
October 28, 1999
[...]

they just don't want to truly acknowledge those benefits, 'cause big pharma can't corner the market.

Willie Nelson holds up a container of his branded marijuana with “6630507” written on it. Following the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s inaction on rescheduling marijuana, legalization proponents have responded by taking to the internet to highlight Patent No. 6,630,507, which covers the potential use of non-psychoactive cannabinoids. (Photo courtesy of Willie’s Reserve)
The drugs script name is Marinol.

Abstract

Appl. No.:
09/674,028
Filed:
February 2, 2001
PCT Filed:
April 21, 1999
PCT No.:
PCT/US99/08769
PCT Pub. No.:
WO99/53917
PCT Pub. Date:
October 28, 1999
[...]

it's not the same as smokable or edible marijuana & isn't that not as well received by those who have used it? CBD oil is also different/better than marinol too isn't it?

Last edited:

Abstract

Appl. No.:
09/674,028
Filed:
February 2, 2001
PCT Filed:
April 21, 1999
PCT No.:
PCT/US99/08769
PCT Pub. No.:
WO99/53917
PCT Pub. Date:
October 28, 1999
[...]

it's not the same as smokable or edible marijuana & isn't that not as well received by those who have used i? CBD oil is also different/better than marinol too isn't it?
I have heard good things about oil and fighting liver cancer. Marinol is a script doctors give you as a excuse to blow any drug tests in states where pot is illegal.

A large study stretching over a 4-year period challenges popular beliefs, as it finds “no evidence” that cannabis use improves the symptoms of chronic pain.
More and more people are taking prescription opioids for pain management, making the phenomenon “an emerging public health concern globally.”
Of all the countries in the world, North America has the “proportionally highest” use of prescription opioids.
Due to opioids’ side effects and highly addictive nature, researchers and patients alike are now turning to medical marijuana, or cannabis, as a potentially safer alternative.

Read more
Yes a bunch of "do gooders" got to gather and made the great answer to the problem. This to cut off the drugs to the Cronick ill and the dying. That solves the Heroin problem. The dumb asses don't know the difference between the legal and illegal drugs. So who got cut off the old and young who are injured badly and those who are dying. I have noticed the old guys are hitting the street for heroin to treat the pain.

Read more
Yes a bunch of "do gooders" got to gather and made the great answer to the problem. This to cut off the drugs to the Cronick ill and the dying. That solves the Heroin problem. The dumb asses don't know the difference between the legal and illegal drugs. So who got cut off the old and young who are injured badly and those who are dying. I have noticed the old guys are hitting the street for heroin to treat the pain.

Heroin was created as a 'cure' for morphine. Morphine is an extraction from the Opium Poppy. Seems the more we get away from natural cures the more dangerous the extractions become.

Read more

First off...the study conclusions were badly written. NO proper scientist would ever say there is 'no evidence' for such a large study. A good one would say there is 'little' evidence or 'the evidence strongly indicates that there is little correlation...'. But only a Mickey Mouse scientist would say 'no evidence'.
The only way that there was 'no evidence' would be if every, single person in the study stated that they had no improvement whatsoever. And with a study of over 1,000 (as this one was - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30110-5/abstract ), it is almost impossible to believe that exactly 0 out of over 1,000 people had no improvement in their symptoms whatsoever.
'No' (in this case) means 'zero'. And zero is an absolute. And I see zero evidence that this study showed that not one patient found ANY pain benefit from smoking cannibis.

Second...it is virtually irrelevant whether they help patients with their pain or not. Do the patients want to take it? And - according to the study - the percentage of patients who wanted to be able to use cannibis to help with their pain increased significantly (almost double) as the study progressed.
When someone is suffering from chronic pain, it is irrelevant what they want to help themselves (assuming to do so hurts no one else directly).
If they want to smoke dope, do lines of coke or have sex with trees....that is their business.
Whatever helps them get through the pain is what matters.
So, if a patient wants to smoke dope to help them with chronic pain, then a doctor should prescribe them cannabis....whether the doctor believes in cannabis's pain-reducing qualities or not. Especially if the doctor is not able to fully relive their patients pain symptoms using traditional methods.

BTW - I, personally, don't like dope. Makes me paranoid. But I believe that anyone should be free to ingest virtually anything they wish...especially if they are suffering from chronic pain. And doubly so if the pain cannot be significantly reduced by present legal/common methods.

Fuck off, McCocket, nobody cares about your uninformed opinion.

Interesting comments all. I have never smoked pot in my life so I don't know what the benefits are. I never could stand the smell of pot. I had a knee replacement a year ago and for 4 days I was on hydracodone. When I went to rehab I threw away the pills and never did fill the prescriptions the doc gave me. I don't ever take pain medicine stronger than the one aspirin a day I take for blood thinner. 10 years ago I had prostate cancer and it was caught early. I had 32 men in my platoon in '65-66 and there are only 4 of us still alive. The 29 others all died with various types of aggressive cancer from Agent Orange. Brain, liver and pancreatic cancer were the killers. We four survivors all had prostate cancer. I am not brave but I will live with pain rather than use pain killers.

There is a non-marijuana non-opiod alternative that may provide some help with pain. My wife found it on-line, called CBD oil, and it is derived from hemp. It is a totally legal product readily available. I'm dealing with the effects of bone cancer and have gotten off the fentanyl patches and use the CBD oil as needed when pain flares up.

CBD Oil for Pain Management: Does It Work and Is It Safe?

Interesting comments all. I have never smoked pot in my life so I don't know what the benefits are. I never could stand the smell of pot. I had a knee replacement a year ago and for 4 days I was on hydracodone. When I went to rehab I threw away the pills and never did fill the prescriptions the doc gave me. I don't ever take pain medicine stronger than the one aspirin a day I take for blood thinner. 10 years ago I had prostate cancer and it was caught early. I had 32 men in my platoon in '65-66 and there are only 4 of us still alive. The 29 others all died with various types of aggressive cancer from Agent Orange. Brain, liver and pancreatic cancer were the killers. We four survivors all had prostate cancer. I am not brave but I will live with pain rather than use pain killers.

If I haven't said it already, thank you Hossfly for your service to the country.

Forum List

Back