Attention Linux users - Netflix

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Now works.
I run LinuxMint, I was doing a usual update when I noticed there was a package updating for "Netflix Desktop". This is an application I installed a long time ago that never worked, and discovered later it barely worked for anybody.
Well - after this update, it works fine.
Finally...after all of this time Netflix works on Linux. After everyother video/movie app works, and has worked for years - Netflix finally works.

http://lifehacker.com/5963726/netfl...untu-in-the-form-of-an-unofficial-desktop-app
:clap2:

Last edited:
Yup, more and more companies realize there's an untapped market within the Linux community. :thup:

Yep...which is why I had been using Amazon prime video.
What was so aggravating was Netflix had a smoothly working app for Andriod for sometime - but for some unfathomable reason - didn't take that app and tweak slightly for the Linux OS....until November.

What version of Linux do you guys recommend? I like XP but I have Vista on a Laptop that I'd like to replace with something else.

A few years ago Kitten Koder (Now long gone from here) tried to help me put Linux on a desktop machine of mine but it didn't work.

What version of Linux do you guys recommend? I like XP but I have Vista on a Laptop that I'd like to replace with something else.

A few years ago Kitten Koder (Now long gone from here) tried to help me put Linux on a desktop machine of mine but it didn't work.

Probably the most user friendly distros are Linux Mint and Ubuntu, they're also the most popular.
The difference is in the interfaces, (what you see and how you "communicate" with your computer).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaEkIYp9D4]Ubuntu 12.10 - A Quick Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5wDbsiwHM]Linux Mint 14 Review: Pleasingly Stable - YouTube[/ame]

Note that when you instal they give you an option to try it without fully installing it on your system. It will be missing some features and will run slower than if it was fully installed.

Ubuntu is a larger OS and requires a faster computer with more RAM, Mint is also large but not as much as Ubuntu.
It's a simple matter of preference as to which one you'll like better. There are also lighter versions of both available. There are a couple of us who can help you through installation and the learning curve

Yeah that's what it was, Ubuntu. I think I still have the install disks but not the latest version.

Yeah that's what it was, Ubuntu. I think I still have the install disks but not the latest version.

If that was during the KK era then it is waaaaaayyyyyyyy outdated. :lol:

Download both Ubuntu and Mint, (save them - obviously, to your downloads or desktop, whichever is your preference) , then burn them individually as an ISO (bootable disc) to a DVD, not a CD.

I have been using Ubuntu exclusively for the past six years (my present version is 12.04.01). Mint is certainly an excellent system from what I've heard, but I've never used it. What I can tell you about Ubuntu is that it doesn't work well with all computers. Part of the reason is that not all of the drivers are written for a Linux OS. It is important to find a hardware configuration whose drivers are compatible with Linux. The easiest way is to buy a Dell or other brand that comes with Linux as its OS. If you buy a Linux ready computer or laptop and don't like the OS, no problem, just load a Microsoft OS. Although all PCs won't work with Linux, those that are compatible with Linux have no problem running Microsoft. Sorry, saying "no problem running Microsoft" is a sad joke. Microsoft is really always a problem. My experience after the learning curve has been just the opposite with Ubuntu - problem free.

I ran Ubuntu for several years until they brought out the "Unity desktop" - which consequently is reminiscent of the new Windows 8 interface. When Ubuntu forced Unity in our laps - I went running to Linux Mint and love it. It is blazing fast, and like Ubuntu - just works.
Any new user that asks, I advise Linux Mint over Ubuntu because of the simpler desktop interface and the fact that it comes with codex's installed out of the box.

Something you guys may find interesting...I read today where Microsoft is listed in the top 10 "endangered business", those businesses that are failing to adapt to changing markets and could either go by the way side in the coming years, or be dramatically marginalized like IBM, Xerox, Kodak etc...companies that once dominated their industries, became mere shadows of their former glory.
It makes sense, Microsoft went "all in" in the new Windows 8 interface that thus far consumers are less than excited about, in fact, they hate it.
And PC Makers are applying significant pressure to Microsoft as sales since Win 8 was released have struggled to say the least.

Last edited:
I have been using Ubuntu exclusively for the past six years (my present version is 12.04.01). Mint is certainly an excellent system from what I've heard, but I've never used it. What I can tell you about Ubuntu is that it doesn't work well with all computers. Part of the reason is that not all of the drivers are written for a Linux OS. It is important to find a hardware configuration whose drivers are compatible with Linux. The easiest way is to buy a Dell or other brand that comes with Linux as its OS. If you buy a Linux ready computer or laptop and don't like the OS, no problem, just load a Microsoft OS. Although all PCs won't work with Linux, those that are compatible with Linux have no problem running Microsoft. Sorry, saying "no problem running Microsoft" is a sad joke. Microsoft is really always a problem. My experience after the learning curve has been just the opposite with Ubuntu - problem free.

I believe Mint comes with every driver available (some being generic drivers) so it works on every physical system made, but don't quote me on that. Not 100% sure.

Something you guys may find interesting...I read today where Microsoft is listed in the top 10 "endangered business", those businesses that are failing to adapt to changing markets and could either go by the way side in the coming years, or be dramatically marginalized like IBM, Xerox, Kodak etc...companies that once dominated their industries, became mere shadows of their former glory.
It makes sense, Microsoft went "all in" in the new Windows 8 interface that thus far consumers are less than excited about, in fact, they hate it.
And PC Makers are applying significant pressure to Microsoft as sales since Win 8 was released have struggled to say the least.

Microsoft is the only company that I can think of that has been incredibly successful with a practice of "ship it, then fix it". The lack of choice in operating systems for PCs is the only reason they were able to sell crap to the public for so long. With Linux and a few others on the horizon, that's changing.

You might be right about Mint, but I've grown fond of Unity. I run it on a 17" laptop and it continues to be a reliable and problem-free OS. That said, I'm going to try Mint.

Microsoft is the only company that I can think of that has been incredibly successful with a practice of "ship it, then fix it". The lack of choice in operating systems for PCs is the only reason they were able to sell crap to the public for so long. With Linux and a few others on the horizon, that's changing.

You might be right about Mint, but I've grown fond of Unity. I run it on a 17" laptop and it continues to be a reliable and problem-free OS. That said, I'm going to try Mint.
I run Bodhi Linux on an old Dell P-4 (my old OS test unit). Ubuntu, Redhat, Mint and all the other extra full featured distros run too slow on it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jztRcP1CzA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jztRcP1CzA[/ame]

Last edited:

I run Bodhi Linux on an old Dell P-4 (my old OS test unit). Ubuntu, Redhat, Mint and all the other extra full featured distros run too slow on it.
I ran Bodhi on an old Dell as well until my wife spilled water and flour unto it...yep.
Anyway - it is indeed excellent for an old system. Very scaled down OS, yet quite elegant and logically placed.

I ran Bodhi on an old Dell as well until my wife spilled water and flour unto it...yep.
Anyway - it is indeed excellent for an old system. Very scaled down OS, yet quite elegant and logically placed.
When I build my new replacement system I may load the new version of Bodhi on my "old" Phenom II x 2 home build. Should be blazingly fast. :thup:

Forum List

Back